Taycan information direct from Zuffenhausen plant tour

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That can’t be right. You’d still have the same resistance in the cables to/from the wireless charging interface.
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
@Rollep: I do not believe there is any heat, as the current is captured by an inductor that heats up and all the charging system sees is the same power as in cables. But inductors are not fully efficient and will heat up.

@SHN: I do not believe this is true, there is very little resistive heat loss in cable charging. Wireless is very convenient, and maybe even some day you can have sections in roads (not cost practical but possible).

Its all about convenience and "cool factor." I for one find it much easier to plug a car in and move a charger around than putting down mats and parking on them. I also get the option to move the car to different spots and/or leave outside.

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
That can’t be right. You’d still have the same resistance in the cables to/from the wireless charging interface.
As long as the cables are same length and dimensions, I agree. However, if they have reduced the length, it may be something in it.

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Rollep: I do not believe there is any heat, as the current is captured by an inductor that heats up and all the charging system sees is the same power as in cables. But inductors are not fully efficient and will heat up.

@SHN: I do not believe this is true, there is very little resistive heat loss in cable charging. Wireless is very convenient, and maybe even some day you can have sections in roads (not cost practical but possible).

Its all about convenience and "cool factor." I for one find it much easier to plug a car in and move a charger around than putting down mats and parking on them. I also get the option to move the car to different spots and/or leave outside.
In one of the videos of Tesla Bjørn, you will see that there are lot of heat in the cables. He used thermal sensing device to show this. BTW, many charging stations above 150 kWh are using liquid cooled cables.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Maybe, but 27 kWh of thermal energy as in your example sure is a lot of heat.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok I am pretty sure when they say wireless they must mean the 9KW L2 charging, NOT the fast 230 KW. So we are mixing multiple things here. The L2 chargers do not need cooling, the loss is too little. But at 270 KW even a 5% inefficiency is 13KW. Think about a space heater it uses maybe 3-4 KW to heat a room. So now imagine what wireless heat/loss that is much higher. At L2 of 9K that is tolerable.

unbiased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Country flag
I think the rear motors on all models are the same and just modified by software and Porsche is just naming them differently. It would be cheaper to just built one type of motor and modify it’s software rather than built 2 different types. Just my 2 cents. We will find out when someone will take them apart.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Although contained in the same size housing the rear motor is 80mm (3.1") shorter in length in the 4S compared to the Turbo & Turbo S.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the rear motors on all models are the same and just modified by software and Porsche is just naming them differently. It would be cheaper to just built one type of motor and modify it’s software rather than built 2 different types. Just my 2 cents. We will find out when someone will take them apart.
I have a feeling with the difference in power output and the differentials and parts that may be needed that would not be the case.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
At an EV convention in Oslo, Norway, last year, I think. It was said that Wireless Charging was better than with cable, because the resistance in the cable. Charge operator Fortum is working with Taxies in Oslo with wireless charging. I guess we will find out if the theory is true.
but There also will be a cable from the wall outlet to the charging pad on the floor.

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The rear motors between 4S and Turbo/Turbo S have different hardware with different physical sizes.
This is the reason you find on the last page of the configurator for the technical data different "Rear luggage compartment volumes" for Taycan 4S on one side and Taycan Turbo/Turbo S on the other side.

EDIT: MAYBE MY STATEMENT HERE IS WRONG AND PERSUADER ON THE FOLLOWING PAGE IS CORRECT, THAT THE DIFFERENT REAR LUGGAGE VOLUME IS RELATED TO THE STANDARD/NON-STANDARD BOSE SOUND SYSTEM AND NOT TO DIFFERENT REAR MOTORS. THE REAR MOTORS ON TAYCAN 4S ARE 80mm (3.1") SHORTER IN LENGTH AND HAVE LESS WEIGHT COMPARED TO TURBO/TURBO S, BUT MAYBE ARE NOT THE REASON FOR MORE REAR LUGGAGE - I WILL TRY TO FIND OUT MORE DETAILS ABOUT THIS.

1. Taycan 4S with larger "Rear luggage compartment volume" of 14.3ft³
Porsche Taycan Taycan information direct from Zuffenhausen plant tour Technical_Data_4S

2. Taycan Turbo/Turbo S with slightly smaller "Rear luggage compartment volume" of 12.9ft³
Porsche Taycan Taycan information direct from Zuffenhausen plant tour Technical_Data_Turbo

Around 10% more rear luggage is one of the very few advantages (besides price and range) you will get for a Taycan 4S compared to Taycan Turbo/Turbo S!

Maybe besides the really important other aspect, that you can buy a Turbo S on Mission e wheels only with Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB), which comes with calipers in yellow or black color only - on a Taycan 4S you can order your Mission e wheels with less expensive Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB) having calipers in white ... only this produces the full Mission e feeling with white Taycan body, white painted Mission e wheels and white calipers like I love it ;)

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unlike some c
You may be right that is what he ment. Maybe it was lost in translation.

My understanding before the visit was that it was different engine/DU.

However, it may also make sense if it was the same and it was standardize to keep the production cost down. It would also give Porsche the ability to sell OTA upgrades. We will see when the first 4S is reversed engineered ;)
Unlike some EV manufacturers, Porsche is quite open with information on how the car is put together and and differences between Model like 4S, Turbo and Turbo S.
Turbo S has a larger inverter for the front motor and the 4S has a smaller rear Motor but placed in the same housing as Turbos to simply mounting.

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
I am not sure why people are excited about wireless charging. Yes it is "neat," but think about even at 70% efficiency (which I do not believe is possible) charging 90KWHr will mean you are throwing away 27 KWHr. That is a bit out of control imho.
ORNL demonstrates 120-kilowatt wireless charging for vehicles

The wireless system transfers 120 kilowatts of power with 97 percent efficiency, which is comparable to conventional, wired high-power fast chargers. In the laboratory demonstration, power was transferred across a six-inch air gap between two magnetic coils and charged a battery pack.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is great, thanks, but it still is a laboratory system with ideal conditions and alignment and across a six inch gap. There is still a bit to go to make real life systems.

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is great, thanks, but it still is a laboratory system with ideal conditions and alignment and across a six inch gap. There is still a bit to go to make real life systems.
I referered to a Wireless project in Oslo, which you can read about. I don't remember who's the supplier of the system, but I remember that they said that it was more efficient than cable. I guess the project will find out.

Update: Momentum Dynamics is the supplier.
Sponsored

Last edited: