epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Interesting and that is great for commercial applications, like taxis. And would be more convenient for some in garage installations depending on cost. Specially if it could be placed “under the floor” but I am guessing they still have to minimize the distance and the size of the field.

Alignment still is an issue while plugging in is pretty simple

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0968090X15001527
Sponsored

Abdullah

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I asked live chat

They replied about wireless charging

I am sorry, but Porsche does not offer the charge by induction yet.
vor ein paar Sekunden

There is not car wireless charching

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I asked live chat

They replied about wireless charging

I am sorry, but Porsche does not offer the charge by induction yet.
vor ein paar Sekunden

There is not car wireless charching
Not yet, but it possible to retrofit, when they start offering.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Regarding wireless charging, I found this, which says today’s wireless charging tech is just as efficient as wired charging:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/28/wireless-charging-myths-exploded-witricity-ceo/amp/

If this is true, I think (for me at least) that wireless charging would be a huge convenience over having to plug in at home. I’ll be charging in my garage. Yes, it could be a small hassle to line up the car over the charging thingy. But easier than plugging in. And you could do something like hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling, to give you an alignment aid.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alignment seems to be about being within 10cm of center and the angle too, so best bet would be maybe painting “landing lights” and stop reference.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Alignment seems to be about being within 10cm of center and the angle too, so best bet would be maybe painting “landing lights” and stop reference.
Well I think it would simply show on display like the surround camera when approaching a wireless charging pad. I seem to recall seeing a Porsche video like that a year or so back.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
The rear motors between 4S and Turbo/Turbo S have different hardware with different physical sizes.
This is the reason you find on the last page of the configurator for the technical data different "Rear luggage compartment volumes" for Taycan 4S on one side and Taycan Turbo/Turbo S on the other side.
I think that the difference in boot size is because of the subwoofer on the Bose system that is standard fit on the Turbo & Turbo S.
The rear motors on the 4S vs Turbo/Turbo S are a different size but contained within the same size casing.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It shouldn't be a surprise that induction charging will be, or already is highly efficient.
It's nothing more than a transformer without a (iron) core.
Transformers are >95% efficient.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
It shouldn't be a surprise that induction charging will be, or already is highly efficient.
It's nothing more than a transformer without a (iron) core.
Transformers are >95% efficient.
The problem is there is no iron between the charger and the vehicle, only air. That won’t be good for energy transfer, or efficiency.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The problem is there is no iron between the charger and the vehicle, only air. That won’t be good for energy transfer, or efficiency.
Magnetism doesn't need a conductor.
That's the whole principle of induction.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Magnetism doesn't need a conductor.
That's the whole principle of induction.
Iron having a permeability of around one, compared to air about a million times less is always going to be better. Magnetic induction can never be as efficient as a transformer.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I am not sure why people are excited about wireless charging. Yes it is "neat," but think about even at 70% efficiency (which I do not believe is possible) charging 90KWHr will mean you are throwing away 27 KWHr. That is a bit out of control imho.
I always assumed wireless charging was inefficient and MUCH slower, but.......read this article
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/28/wireless-charging-myths-exploded-witricity-ceo/

There is a company called Plugless, that according to their website is 12% less efficient than a similarly wired system.....but compatible only with Tesla Model S, BMW i3 and Chevrolet Volt.....

Another interesting article on the Finnish company Fortum that SHN mentioned that is installing wireless system in Oslo for taxis
I especially like the last sentence of the article.....:CWL::CWL:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/2...pansion-in-china-the-ev-revolution-gets-real/

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The losses are from alignment and distance. They have massively improved by tuned resonant circuits but there are losses that add u- at higher power.

in my opinion for private garage parking its a solution in search of a problem. Commercial applications are different.

and the myths article read more like a marketing brochure from someone who is pushing wireless charging. Which is pretty much what it was!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Iron having a permeability of around one, compared to air about a million times less is always going to be better. Magnetic induction can never be as efficient as a transformer.
I think you mix up current and magnetism.
Induction charging is transfering current by magnetism, there's no current going through the air, it's the magnetism, that's the whole idea behind induction charging.
From that magnetism the car makes current again to charge the battery.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
and the myths article read more like a marketing brochure from someone who is pushing wireless charging. Which is pretty much what it was!
Exactly.
He acts like plugging in a socket is such a hassle....it isn't.
Sponsored