epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
There are some interesting idea with wireless charging as theory that would be useful and interesting. For example stretches of road that may have wireless charging, but obviously the cost vs return is just not there. Or if you are operating a commercial fleet it may be useful to have a parking area already wireless for overnight charging without relying on plugs, people to plug them in, and having to put the cable etc.

Its a neat “toy” for sure, and I am all for it. I am just a little puzzled by why its important and a little annoyed how the complicated engineering issues are reduced to simplistic demonstrations of how it’s just as “efficient” as cable. If you want to see the truth look at wireless charging of cell phones. There is a huge amount of money and effort thrown into a very large and profitable market. Yes there are size constraints that limit its efficiency, but then again the power levels needed are much lower.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Exactly.
He acts like plugging in a socket is such a hassle....it isn't.
I agree except in areas that car exit is undesirable. I can imagine road trips in Netherlands or such where the weather gets very bad that cars could simply pull above a charging pad and charge without exiting the vehicle.
Though I know that you may need to use the restroom eventually. ;)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I agree except in areas that car exit is undesirable. I can imagine road trips in Netherlands or such where the weather gets very bad that cars could simply pull above a charging pad and charge without exiting the vehicle.
Though I know that you may need to use the restroom eventually. ;)
Even our fast-charge stations have a roof for exactly the reason you mentioned...
In fact, they have solar panels on them.
Win/win!
Porsche Taycan Taycan information direct from Zuffenhausen plant tour Fastned-solar-powered-EV-charger-Netherlands-889x599

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Even our fast-charge stations have a roof for exactly the reason you mentioned...
In fact, they have solar panels on them.
Win/win!
Fastned-solar-powered-EV-charger-Netherlands-889x599.jpg
This is great to see. Hopefully other ev charging companies start building similar setup. I've always wondered why Electrify America and Ionity stations don't have solar panels as roofs over the charging stations. Even the traditional gas stations have roof covers so people aren't drenched in rain or snow.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is great to see. Hopefully other ev charging companies start building similar setup. I've always wondered why Electrify America and Ionity stations don't have solar panels as roofs over the charging stations. Even the traditional gas stations have roof covers so people aren't drenched in rain or snow.
Because the amount of power generated by that quantity of panels makes no difference for the car charging bits. It will keep the lights on, and power lots of other things, but car charging takes a LOT more power than those panels deliver. A square meter of panel will likely generate less than 1 kWh per day...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Because the amount of power generated by that quantity of panels makes no difference for the car charging bits. It will keep the lights on, and power lots of other things, but car charging takes a LOT more power than those panels deliver. A square meter of panel will likely generate less than 1 kWh per day...
Yeah, I know but it's the "green picture" that counts.
Still, on a good day, with 20 panels (250Wp) in the sun for 6 hours gives you 20*250*6=30kWh...

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yeah, I know but it's the "green picture" that counts.
Still, on a good day, with 20 panels (250Wp) in the sun for 6 hours gives you 20*250*6=30kWh...
Which is a third of a full Taycan charge. :p

But, I'm not on the BEV kick for any sort of 'greed cred'. I want the Taycan for performance, convenience, and the carpool sticker.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee