RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...lagship-sports-car/ar-AAPzwRR?ocid=entnewsntp

Porsche is selling more electric Taycans than its flagship sports car
  • The Porsche Taycan EV is starting to outsell the brand's iconic 911.
  • During the first nine months of 2021, Porsche sold several hundred more Taycans than 911s.
  • The Taycan is in its second year of production. The 911 has been around for nearly 60 years.
In only its second full year in production, Porsche's first electric model is starting to outsell its longtime flagship sports car, the 911.

It's the latest sign that electric vehicles, which have made up a tiny fraction of global vehicle sales for years, are gaining traction.

Porsche sold 28,640 Taycans worldwide during the first nine months of 2021, the company said Friday. It delivered 27,972 911s over that period. The Taycan is also outpacing the 911 in the US, selling 1,861 units compared with the 911's 1,621.

Porsche launched the Taycan in 2019 as a high-powered, four-door sport sedan that competes with the Tesla Model S. In early 2021, Porsche added a new base version of the Taycan that costs $82,700. It recently introduced a roomier, station-wagon variant called the Taycan Cross Turismo. The Cross Turismo rides a bit higher than the regular Taycan so owners can take it on dirt roads and gravel paths.

Porsche, a brand under the Volkswagen Group umbrella, wants at least 80%of the vehicles it sells to be either fully electric or hybrid by 2030. A battery-powered version of its popular Macan SUV is due in 2023, but don't expect an electric 911 anytime soon.

CEO Oliver Blume, told reporters in March that the 911 will be the last Porsche to go electric, if it ever does.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
When I bought my Taycan I couldn’t buy a 911 for love or money. Now I cant buy either. Until Covid blows over the number of cars sold has nothing to do with demand, only with supply, and supply seems to be drying up for all Porsches.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Surprised to see what a small market the USA is for Porsche.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
It's funny how many 911 owners I've seen online elsewhere get so easily upset and triggered by this news byte.

Yeah, we know the Porsche SUVs and crossovers have been outselling the 911 for a while, but I think those people are missing the point of this headline as it says Porsche is making forward progress in the EV space, which will only explode once their lower cost and more usable Macan EV comes out

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Not surprising, we could see the writing on the wall coming for a while now. Sport car performance and attractive looks with a lot more added practicality compared to owning a 911.

It likely helps that a lot of Taycan buyers are non traditional or first time Porsche buyers that wanted something a little more premium than a Tesla in terms of EV sales (yours truly, although not my first Porsche).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
So I went to a dealer Porsche sponsored event locally last week, where they showed off the RWD Taycan, the Panamera 4S, the Macau 4S and the 911 4S (all current year). Various courses, various drives. In addition to the Taycan I own a 718 Spyder. I have to tell you the most connected and fun car on the day was the Taycan (it wasn't just me, most of the other people were smiling). The most numb and boring car was the 911, but they push that like its some kind of amazing car. I will get some flack for this but at this point its only a very sporty smaller sedan.

Heck even the Panamera felt more like a Taycan and pure to its nature. I would have taken that over the 911. Everybody walked off under the spell of 911 salesmanship. When the guy said "isn't that amazing" I honestly said "needs more power." He laughed and I told him I wasn't kidding. He only got it after he saw me drive off in my Taycan.

And BTW the 718 is an INFINITELY more fun and connected car than that 911, no matter which variant (I have driven my friends 718 Boxter). I think 911 at this point is more about showing off than what it really used to be.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
If the taycan doesn’t outsell the 911 I’d be concerned. It’s a more practical, slight less expensive car so logically you’d expect it to sell better (ev or not)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
If the taycan doesn’t outsell the 911 I’d be concerned. It’s a more practical, slight less expensive car so logically you’d expect it to sell better (ev or not)
I am not sure it is less expensive, probably pretty on par with most 911 variants in pricing.

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am not sure it is less expensive, probably pretty on par with most 911 variants in pricing.
This is quite variable, eg. here in Finland the Taycan is half the price of a 911 because of CO2 based purchase tax. You can guess what models are sold here most (EV/PHEV have lowest CO2 emissions).

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
I traded in my 911 for the Taycan. I went back and forth a lot. The way I spec’d them out the price was about t
he same. I decided to go with something new since I’ve had 911’s for so long. It took a little while to get used to not shifting, but now I love the quiet, smooth ride. I do miss my pure sports car occasionally though, especially now that the weather is nice enough to open the top

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Sold my 991.1 911 Turbo to buy a Taycan CT4S as well. Simply put, my 911 wasn't getting much wheel time and I'm kind of over driving sports coupes and going back to more stealthy fast 4 doors.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
When I bought my Taycan I couldn’t buy a 911 for love or money. Now I cant buy either. Until Covid blows over the number of cars sold has nothing to do with demand, only with supply, and supply seems to be drying up for all Porsches.
Not as much as supply drying up but production down added to increased and deferred demand over 12+ months of COVID along with supply chain issues and global logistics issues means Porsche can't get enough of them off the line to all that want them. So less 911 production and likely increased Taycan allocation means just like the Cayenne before it...there's a new breadwinner on the Porsche lineup.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Ops and its likely the Taycan and soon the Macan EV and one day a 911 hybrid! :)
Sponsored