JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As mentioned, 32.3/100 kWh is only about 265 miles and normal consumption for a 75+ mph highway drive in summer.

Oh. Wait. LOL. Edmunds got 32.3kWh/100 miles.. and "323" range. Anyone else see the problem? My guess is they did a shorter test and attempted to math out the range based on the consumption number they saw, but instead of dividing against the battery capacity (approx 86 kWh usable) they divided against 100.

It's either a typo or someone at Edmunds tried to take a shortcut.
Edmunds laid out their test procedure as to how they calculated consumption. Essentially they emptied the tank (battery) and refilled it and measured the amount of charge required to fill the battery. This probably appears high because the battery "leaks". It heats up while charging so some of the energy that was consumed is not available for range.

Range based on kwh/miles looks to be a bit of a soft number as it can be calculated using different methods. It is not always clear as to the methodology yielding quite different figures.

An argument can be made that if Edmonds metered the flow of current into the drained battery while charging and the actual distance driven their number would be most accurate.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
No yet had the joy of warmer months to see these numbers but at best I get 220 - 225 miles (Nov'20 - Feb'21).

I would be mighty impressed if the range increases by ~ 35% come April / May - it may make up for all the other faults I / we are having to contend with on a weekly / daily basis!

one way to increase range in cold weather is to limit the use of the cabin heater. I would use the heater only to warm the cabin then I would shut it down and rely on the seat heaters to keep warm. the heating eats a lot of energy and not using it will get you at least 10-20% more range

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
one way to increase range in cold weather is to limit the use of the cabin heater. I would use the heater only to warm the cabin then I would shut it down and rely on the seat heaters to keep warm. the heating eats a lot of energy and not using it will get you at least 10-20% more range
Have you met my wife??

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think the point here is to disseminate between fact (real world experiences from real owners) and fantasy (marketing guff / poorly executed testing regimes) penned by journalists who struggle to spell "EV" (no disrespect to journos out there).

I don't think I've read anything which provides a consistent view - independent or otherwise. The fact is no two Taycans (or EVs in general for that matter) will get the same range in the same way we don't all get the same technical faults (which is a more pressing concern).

The range is what it is and we chose to live in the climates we do but all the publicly quoted statistics reported for this vehicle need a heavy dose of caveat medicine before anyone can take them seriously.
I really don't care what car reviewers say.
At the end of the day I'm driving a Porsche and they're not.
I mean, what's the point?
Sure, if I'm driving 90km/h at a constant speed in range mode the range is great but that goes for every car, nothing new here.
No, I drive a Porsche cuz I like to drive spirited and fast.
If someone did a test and found out it has better range than another someone who has found that out, fine, their hobby, not mine, have fun with that.
I love this car and it's a joy to drive.
It's a Porsche for crying out loud, who cares what the real range is?! :)

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Edmunds laid out their test procedure as to how they calculated consumption. Essentially they emptied the tank (battery) and refilled it and measured the amount of charge required to fill the battery. This probably appears high because the battery "leaks". It heats up while charging so some of the energy that was consumed is not available for range.

Range based on kwh/miles looks to be a bit of a soft number as it can be calculated using different methods. It is not always clear as to the methodology yielding quite different figures.

An argument can be made that if Edmonds metered the flow of current into the drained battery while charging and the actual distance driven their number would be most accurate.
Edmunds says that's how they tested it but their numbers are wrong.

You're not getting 323 miles in a Taycan and the kWh/100mi is taken from the trip computer which is, in fact, accurate to the SOC % displayed to the customer. The trip computer kWh/100mi is always connected to the SOC % displayed. (This does not mean it's accurate to the scientific results of the battery but it is accurate to the information we can access as customers.)

So either Edmunds got more range than is scientifically possible with the method they described or they made an error when transcribing their results into the article. Given that 32.3 kWh/100 would equal 323 if you mistakenly entered 100 kWh as the battery capacity (versus the 85-88 kWh of usable capacity a newish Taycan has) an error seems likely.

I have 10,000+ miles with many of those road trips draining the battery from 100% to below 5%. Edmunds "323 miles" is impossible given the criteria they claim. The 32.3 kWh/100mi number, however, matches up with my experience.

You can trust someone that owns a Taycan and has 10k+ miles doing road trips or you can trust an Edmunds reviewer that had the car for 24 hours, your call.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I really don't care what car reviewers say.
At the end of the day I'm driving a Porsche and they're not.
I mean, what's the point?
Sure, if I'm driving 90km/h at a constant speed in range mode the range is great but that goes for every car, nothing new here.
No, I drive a Porsche while I like to drive spirited and fast.
If someone did a test and found out it has better range than someone else has found out, fine, their hobby, not mine.
I love this car and it's a joy to drive.
It's a Porsche for crying out loud, who cares what the real range is?! :)
driving spirited and fast is certainly fun but when on an extended trip it is wiser to drive more conservatively and better manage your speed vs range and need to charge. when I am driving locally fast is fun because I know I have no charging worries.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you're interested in range and efficiency you shouldn't have bought a Porsche in the first place.
If I have to make another stop, so be it.
C'mon guys...
No. The more reports that come out, the more it appears that the Taycan gets both range and performance. You just have to balance between the two.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
No. The more reports that come out, the more it appears that the Taycan gets both range and performance.
Actually, it's range OR performance.
But we knew that already.
You think we are discussing mpg on a 911-forum?
But maybe I'm just spoiled cuz my country has the most fastchargers/km2.....in the world.
Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
But maybe I'm just spoiled cuz my country has the most fastchargers/km2.
isn’t that because is just soooo bloody cold all the time? sorry about that :cool: sun was in my eyes from living in California.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
But maybe I'm just spoiled cuz my country has the most fastchargers/km2.
Sorry about that. :)
I am new to taycan but my concern isn't the number of fast chargers it seems that here in the US the problem is the reliability of the DC fast charging units.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Edmunds says that's how they tested it but their numbers are wrong.

You're not getting 323 miles in a Taycan and the kWh/100mi is taken from the trip computer which is, in fact, accurate to the SOC % displayed to the customer. The trip computer kWh/100mi is always connected to the SOC % displayed. (This does not mean it's accurate to the scientific results of the battery but it is accurate to the information we can access as customers.)

So either Edmunds got more range than is scientifically possible with the method they described or they made an error when transcribing their results into the article. Given that 32.3 kWh/100 would equal 323 if you mistakenly entered 100 kWh as the battery capacity (versus the 85-88 kWh of usable capacity a newish Taycan has) an error seems likely.

I have 10,000+ miles with many of those road trips draining the battery from 100% to below 5%. Edmunds "323 miles" is impossible given the criteria they claim. The 32.3 kWh/100mi number, however, matches up with my experience.

You can trust someone that owns a Taycan and has 10k+ miles doing road trips or you can trust an Edmunds reviewer that had the car for 24 hours, your call.
As an exercise go down the entire list of cars that Edmond's tested and look at the the Edmonds Tested Range and Edmonds Tested Consumption. They are all over the map. The Taycan just happens to yield a number that looks like it was divided by 100. Did they get everything wrong or just the Taycan?

Also Edmonds did not tell you the speeds (but did give the temps) and number of stop lights in the test etc, but they did say they were all tested over the same course (with adjustments), so you can probably not reliably say if the absolute numbers are accurate or not. However the relative numbers should be.

In any event, for tests to be really useful in absolute sense, you need to know all the test parameters.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
isn’t that because is just soooo bloody cold all the time? sorry about that :cool: sun was in my eyes from living in California.
Cold is only there to appreciate the nice warm weather the rest of the year.
I cannot emphasize enough the great atmosphere when it's getting warmer in spring....
In a Porsche.

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan just happens to yield a number that looks like it was divided by 100. Did they get everything wrong or just the Taycan?

Also Edmonds did not tell you the speeds (but did give the temps) and number of stop lights in the test etc, but they did say they were all tested over the same course (with adjustments), so you can probably not reliably say if the absolute numbers are accurate or not. However the relative numbers should be.
323 miles of range is impossible with 60% city and 40% hwy driving and AC at 72 mph (UNLESS you started at the top of a high mountain pass and did not have to regain the altitude.)

I will literally donate my Taycan to anyone that shows me hard evidence of driving 323 miles from 100% to 0% in a 4S while staying within 5 mph of the speed limit, 60% city/40% hwy, AC at 72, and no significant elevation changes. It's not possible. However they calculated that number, it wasn't from driving 323 miles on a single charge.

My guess is they had different people doing tests and jotting down numbers, then the editor tried to cobble them together. Hence why their graph is all over the place and doesn't make sense.

We have C&D posting misleading results and now Edmunds as well. I feel bad for prospective Taycan buyers, they're getting terrible information on the Taycan's range.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I think the point here is to disseminate between fact (real world experiences from real owners) and fantasy (marketing guff / poorly executed testing regimes) penned by journalists who struggle to spell "EV" (no disrespect to journos out there).

I don't think I've read anything which provides a consistent view - independent or otherwise. The fact is no two Taycans (or EVs in general for that matter) will get the same range in the same way we don't all get the same technical faults (which is a more pressing concern).

The range is what it is and we chose to live in the climates we do but all the publicly quoted statistics reported for this vehicle need a heavy dose of caveat medicine before anyone can take them seriously.
Agree but I think that's an issue for all EVs (Telsa included). That's why I roll my eyes a bit at all the righteousness amongst Tesla fans (and some journalists) who just look at the EPA numbers and say that the Taycan is so much less range. I also don't get the fascination with range beyond say a reliable 200 miles. If you go on a trip longer than that in any EV, you're going to need to either fast charge along the way or arrange for some type of destination charging when you get there. I'd take the Taycan's faster DC charging capabilities over additional carrying around unncessary battery weight any day. In the upcoming 500 mile Model S would anyone really try and do, say, a round trip of even 300 miles without charging along the way? I really doubt it. And it's also doubtful that many people will see anything close to that number.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Anyone getting over 300 miles per “tank” as this suggests? My 4S is on order and I would LOVE to get that kind of range !
I am regularly over 300 miles when the weather is warm. Now that the weather is colder I am more in the 225 to 250 mile range. I have a 4S with the extended battery.

Range is very dependent on temperature and your speed. Once you go over about 70 to 75 MPH range drops off.
Sponsored