feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Range drops when on the flat given there is no possibility for re-gen. In fact the worst possible range comes when mostly driving on a motorway /freeway at a constant speed that is flat.
Depends on the speed. What is your experience?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My range has never exceeded 220 miles since new (Nov’20). Range mode I use on the motorway - 69 miles point to point with cruise set to 70 mph. No regen possible given the use of range mode but when I don’t use range i see a 5% degradation approx (not scientifically measured).

I think this is fine and I like range mode for what it offers - car sits lower and just silently wafts along.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Turbo with 21" wheels and I did 270 miles last summer on about 90% of the usable battery capacity (started with 100% SOC, finished with 10%). Warm battery, warm air so no heating and limited need for AC, 65 - 75 MPH most of the way, all flat, all highway.

It is more efficient to cruise at a constant speed than to speed up and slow down, however when you slow down, regen will be used (regardless of the setting - the setting only controls whether regen is activated only by the brake pedal or also by lifting off the accelerator).

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
[
Range drops when on the flat given there is no possibility for re-gen. In fact the worst possible range comes when mostly driving on a motorway /freeway at a constant speed that is flat.
In order to get to speed on the highway you had to accelerate the car in the first place. When you brake regen will recapture some of the energy used for that acceleration. Maybe about 30% so you get a little further range.

Regen is not the magic sauce, unless you are going downhill.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
[

In order to get to speed on the highway you had to accelerate the car in the first place. When you brake regen will recapture some of the energy used for that acceleration. Maybe about 30% so you get a little further range.

Regen is not the magic sauce, unless you are going downhill.
when you brake OR coast you will get regen. the best regen I ever got was eastbound on I70 towards denver from the mountains I added about 12 miles of range in a model S.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Well, the most efficient possible conservation of energy is to coast. When you're coasting, you begin with a certain amount of kinetic energy. Rolling resistance and wind resistance subtract from that energy as you continue to coast. If you add-in a 'regeneration' feature, it's efficiency will be less than 100%, and therefore the energy you store in regeneration will be less than the energy lost, and you're better off not doing anything. That is why range mode does not have regeneration.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Well, the most efficient possible conservation of energy is to coast. When you're coasting, you begin with a certain amount of kinetic energy. Rolling resistance and wind resistance subtract from that energy as you continue to coast. If you add-in a 'regeneration' feature, it's efficiency will be less than 100%, and therefore the energy you store in regeneration will be less than the energy lost, and you're better off not doing anything. That is why range mode does not have regeneration.
For all intents and purposes I agree with you but if you were going fast enough then regen would be more efficient. Because air resistance increases with the square of speed (approximately), it might be better to save that energy for later, using it at a slower speed, than overcoming the extra air resistance.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just to Avoid confusion @Vim Schrotnock, Range Mode like any mode will do registration when using the peddle left of the Go Peddle. You can even turn on the wheel power display on the left circular gauge on instrument cluster and see the car transition from front wheels 100% and rear wheels 0% to like 5% front and 95% rear when you apply the brake. It does it so seamlessly I would only know with the display. Rear wheel braking makes the car more stable of course, Porsche is always concerned with stability.
I've virtually never used that regen button on the steering wheel, I either use InnoDrive or just drive while using the brake pedal, very backward of me I know. Not drive it like a golf cart?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just to Avoid confusion @Vim Schrotnock, Range Mode like any mode will do registration when using the peddle left of the Go Peddle. You can even turn on the wheel power display on the left circular gauge on instrument cluster and see the car transition from front wheels 100% and rear wheels 0% to like 5% front and 95% rear when you apply the brake. It does it so seamlessly I would only know with the display. Rear wheel braking makes the car more stable of course, Porsche is always concerned with stability.
I've virtually never used that regen button on the steering wheel, I either use InnoDrive or just drive while using the brake pedal, very backward of me I know. Not drive it like a golf cart?
So if you are in the mountains going downslope how do you get maximum regen? Looks like you aren't going to get much relying on lift off recuperation on any setting. Strategy might be, conditions permitting, get your speed up, brake, wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So if you are in the mountains going downslope how do you get maximum regen? Looks like you aren't going to get much relying on lift off recuperation on any setting. Strategy might be, conditions permitting, get your speed up, brake, wash, rinse, repeat.
Slowing down, or maintaining speed while going downhill will *always* be using regen (aside from 100% full battery or maybe first 500 miles of ownership). The regen on/off setting doesn't turn regen on or off - it ONLY controls whether or not the car will utilize some regen capability to slow down when you lift off of the accelerator. If you have the regen setting and lift off the accelerator only enough to achieve net zero power in/out, you are coasting, same as if you turn off regen and lift off the pedal. Same efficiency.

So won't worry about which is "better" or which is "more efficient" - choose whichever you prefer.

Now all that said, driving at a constant speed is more efficient than speeding up and slowing down, so if you want the most efficiency you need to maintain a constant speed, and regen off makes that easier, but it's quite possible with regen on.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
More a case of being curious given Porsche's regen strategy.

I needed to be more exact as there are different cases. I am not talking about coasting, but acceleration.

When going downhill you have an extra force applied to the car, gravity which is in a direction which is advantageous to generating power. Like a hydro electric dam with falling water to spin a turbine. In this case the turbine is the electric motor spinning backwards.

If the car is not accelerating going downhill then energy is being used to recharge the battery (neglecting air resistance etc).

This is testable but I don't have any mountains big enough to test on.

Go to the top of a long 1% grade take your foot off the accelerator and what happens to the speed of the car?

Go to the top of a long 6% grade take your foot off the accelerator and what happens to the speed of the car?

If the speed doesn't change much than most of the force of gravity accelerating the car is going into regeneration.

Then compare it to a car with high regenerative liftoff.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Using the brake pedal provides up to 265kW of regeneration, the highest of any production car. Going downhill I would probably set InnoDrive which will apply the brakes and adjust for Speed in corners. By applying the brakes it actually uses regeneration as much as it can.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Go to the top of a long 1% grade take your foot off the accelerator and what happens to the speed of the car?
Depends on the regen setting. On, your car will slow down. Off, you will probably hold speed (force from gravity = force from wind resistance), depending of course on speed.
Go to the top of a long 6% grade take your foot off the accelerator and what happens to the speed of the car?
Depends on the regen setting. On, your car will likely continue accelerating, but slowly. Off, your car will accelerate faster.
Then compare it to a car with high regenerative liftoff.
I think you are possibly missing the point - that is regardless of speed, regen setting, pressing brake pedal, lifting off the accelerator - with this car if you are slowing down (other than because you are now going UP a grade) then the car is using regen to slow down, capturing kinetic energy and returning it to the battery (with a conversion loss). The regen setting doesn't enable / disable this - it only affects if regen kicks in when you lift off of the accelerator. 265W of regen is significant force - you will be stopping plenty hard before the hydraulic brakes even kick in (until of course your speed gets too low.
Sponsored