f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It is vast and I know roads on Anglesey it literally would not fit in at all so it does depend on where you will drive.
Single track roads with passing places in Scotland are fine.

The width and weight are the 2 things I still dislike about the Taycan, it means spirited driving on local Oxfordshire roads is too risky, making it slower in practice on some routes than our PHEV Prius!

Overall I love mine though and am glad I bought it and anyway most cars are bigger than I like nowadays, probably lateral impact safety.

The 911 is laughably huge and heavy too if you are familiar with the 1970s versions.
Sponsored

Tyke2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 2023
Country flag
Hi Dolly.
I have covered about 500 miles so far in my Turismo.
Previously I had an Audi Q8 and most recently a BMW X5.
The Taycan is almost exactly the same width as both of these. But the driving position significantly lower. Sight of the front corners and wheels is non existent. It feels much wider due to the driving position.
On Yorkshire country back lanes I have had a few very scary moments, especially in the dark/rain. I scuffed the nearside front wheel within 200 miles. I could have cried, but it was either the wheel or have a truck take my wing off. The plus side is that I got the wheel fixed for £50. Gloss black wheels are very nice, but they take no enemies when scuffed!
For your anecdote library - last weekend I consciously looked for a surface car park in a city centre in order to avoid a multi storey hairpin scenario. Much less stressful. I'm glad I had the off road option fitted.
I'm loving the car. I always wanted a 911 too.!

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
It is vast and I know roads on Anglesey it literally would not fit in at all so it does depend on where you will drive.
Single track roads with passing places in Scotland are fine.

The width and weight are the 2 things I still dislike about the Taycan, it means spirited driving on local Oxfordshire roads is too risky, making it slower in practice on some routes than our PHEV Prius!

Overall I love mine though and am glad I bought it and anyway most cars are bigger than I like nowadays, probably lateral impact safety.

The 911 is laughably huge and heavy too if you are familiar with the 1970s versions.
Thank you. It's funny that on my various test drives it didn't cross my mind to worry about width but then it was town/city driving. I wish I'd taken the cars to multistorey car parks and into country lanes! Maybe another emergency test drive is in order...

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
Hi Dolly.
I have covered about 500 miles so far in my Turismo.
Previously I had an Audi Q8 and most recently a BMW X5.
The Taycan is almost exactly the same width as both of these. But the driving position significantly lower. Sight of the front corners and wheels is non existent. It feels much wider due to the driving position.
On Yorkshire country back lanes I have had a few very scary moments, especially in the dark/rain. I scuffed the nearside front wheel within 200 miles. I could have cried, but it was either the wheel or have a truck take my wing off. The plus side is that I got the wheel fixed for £50. Gloss black wheels are very nice, but they take no enemies when scuffed!
For your anecdote library - last weekend I consciously looked for a surface car park in a city centre in order to avoid a multi storey hairpin scenario. Much less stressful. I'm glad I had the off road option fitted.
I'm loving the car. I always wanted a 911 too.!
Thank you. Think I might do as previous replies have suggested and arrange an emergency test drive before the order reaches freeze point in a couple of weeks...

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I live in the Norwegian countryside with mostly narrow roads. Don't find them a problem. But parking with little room around can be a bit challenging.

BDH-Consult

First Name
Baudouin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia e-niro, Skoda Kodiak and newly CT4 Gentian
Country flag
I live in rural France so lots of single track roads, farm vehicles etc. I have an X5 which I think is as wide and I manage fine so it's not concerning me. Waiting for delivery of mu Taycan.
I had a X5 in the past and several SUV , you will see, Vision and perspective changes when you are sitting so low. Bonne chance

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Try driving a huge Nissan Navara with a turning radius of 11.20m, without any park assistance and limited rear and corner view in an European city for 3 years.

After that, any car is easy to maneuver and park, no question about it.

You'll adapt and you'll manage just fine. Takes a week or two before you and the car become one.

Damn, that almost sounded Prophetic 😁

PS: The only advantage of the Nissan Navara Pickup was that, back then, because of the shear size and height, my worry was more about not destroying the nearby cars while parking rather than scratching my rims doing it 🤣

captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was really worried about the width before taking delivery. I live in a part of London where it's often a squeeze to get past. Previously I had a Golf which could fit through little gaps no problem. I worried in the Taycan I'd frequently be stuck like a bus waiting for other traffic to manoeuvre out of the way so I could continue and unblock the road.

In fact it's been pretty much fine. I can still get through gaps I thought would be too tight. The wheel cameras (not sure which package they are part of) are very helpful when threading it. There's a few roads I avoid, such as those with width restrictions, so there are downsides. But it's easy to work around them.

My current imaginary situation which gives me anxiety to think about is being somewhere rural at night and having to reverse down a road in the dark to find a passing place. You can't see much out of the back at the best of times and I can't imagine the backup camera is much use in the dark. So if I ever go to Cornwall I won't be venturing out at night.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I’m not worried about the car, but extremely worried about scruffing rims.
it’s very difficult when needing to pull or swipe cards for entrance or exit, as the seating position demands you to get close to pull a card (sitting low), while the car width eats out of that distance too. Add a queue and a bit off hurry stress and accidents happen.
the 360, outside, in winter weather is useless as well. It’s like trying to follow blue lines in a steamed up fishbowl. Not impressed with camera performance at all on the Taycan.
same for concrete high band lanes in garages, those are often so narrow the car barely fits the angle, having cm’s left, even when turning the optimal corner. For public parking I prefer to take the countryman. In the US things are setup wider. In NL they’re very vigilant to build as narrow and car unfriendly as possible.

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
Try driving a huge Nissan Navara with a turning radius of 11.20m, without any park assistance and limited rear and corner view in an European city for 3 years.

After that, any car is easy to maneuver and park, no question about it.

You'll adapt and you'll manage just fine. Takes a week or two before you and the car become one.

Damn, that almost sounded Prophetic 😁

PS: The only advantage of the Nissan Navara Pickup was that, back then, because of the shear size and height, my worry was more about not destroying the nearby cars while parking rather than scratching my rims doing it 🤣
Haha! Puts things in perspective for sure.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I had a X5 in the past and several SUV , you will see, Vision and perspective changes when you are sitting so low. Bonne chance
Agreed but I've owned many low stance cars so not too worried. I've had BMW 6 series and these are low big cars.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I wouldn't be worried, my CT4S has fit everywhere it's needed to so far in almost 2 months, some awfully tight underground car parks, central London streets, width restrictors, narrow lanes and so on. I have RAS and the full surround view which definitely helps but it doesn't feel any wider than the Cayenne that preceded it while being much more manoeuvrable. It has a tighter turning circle than our ID3 but not our old i3. A lot of the feeling of width is that the cabin is significantly narrower than the car, that's why for the same width as a Cayenne the cupholders are in line as opposed to side by side and you sit closer to the doors.

Width is definitely not a reason to cancel an order, relax and enjoy the car whenever it arrives!

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
this is a useful site if you want to do a comparison of dimensions with another car

https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php

good to see the Taycan will be just 3cm wider than my F-Pace but 20cm longer!

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 11.01.49.png
Oh boy... The taycan is 20cm wider and 40cm longer than my Mercedes C class... Wow.

Edit: but only 10cm wider when considering the mirrors. It will be fine 😂

Reactions: Jin

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
  • Haha
Reactions: Jin