Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
That’s impressive! Also, what is up with the rear camera? Is it that distorted all the time?
YES!
I park with mirrors and direct vision.
There is 1 inch either side with mirrors folded out.
I use the camera to see if anything is behind me. Blue lines are a distraction. The camera is clear and focused.
Just hopelessly distorted.
I found the rear camera view with the surround view (which is good)even worse.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
YES!
I park with mirrors and direct vision.
There is 1 inch either side with mirrors folded out.
I use the camera to see if anything is behind me. Blue lines are a distraction. The camera is clear and focused.
Just hopelessly distorted.
I found the rear camera view with the surround view (which is good)even worse.
I have currently specced surround view as I love it on my little AMG 2 door and I actually very rarely use the reverse camera so maybe it’ll be ok! Still, credit where credit’s due for the parking skill there!

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Here is my shapeshifting Taycan installed in the space. Not as good a view as from the magnificent rear view camera.
I specced Cloaking Device and Shapeshifting as factory options. Not available in all markets.

588932A7-F110-4B1C-AA92-DD44D74932BC.jpeg

ADEA2D63-7ADB-4E75-A93A-3EB8814CB247.jpeg
Thanks for clearing up two points

a) it's tight but possible space. Good drivemanship (or parkingship)

b) the camera is worse than I expected. I only tested it once during the test drive and it didn't appear that bad. I mean obviously its job is to help parking, not taking national geographic prime time shots but still... In the first picture that entry looked like my kitchen doorway.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know about prices in Portugal, but near me, I was quoted around £4k for the entire car.
Based on this, I guess around £200 per door?
Just called a local detailer.

€1300-€1800 for 4 doors
€5000-€7500 entire car.

Doors will need to be disassembled

Ouch.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Just called a local detailer.

€1300-€1800 for 4 doors
€5000-€7500 entire car.

Doors will need to be disassembled

Ouch.
Shop around, not just to get a better price but also to see how much they need to dismantle.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Here is my shapeshifting Taycan installed in the space. Not as good a view as from the magnificent rear view camera.
I specced Cloaking Device and Shapeshifting as factory options. Not available in all markets.

Oh my….. if this comparison doesn’t absolutely illustrate what s*#t the rear camera is I don’t know what else would! 😂. I LITERALLY thought you were joking with the first post/pic and was going to reply with a laughing emoji. I honestly thought that was a regular doorway and not a pass thru for a car. 🤣.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag

Is that top image really what you see in the car- 'cos never mind the distortion, it's mirrored left-right!
EDIT- Admission, after the penny dropped- that wasn't a joke. I've left my original comment as is, just to celebrate my senior moment.

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Is that top image really what you see in the car- 'cos never mind the distortion, it's mirrored left-right!
That’s it. The photo of the camera view shows camera view is mirror image. The photo is normal view.
I never realised the difference until I put them together. It is completely intuitive that the rear view camera shows you the same as rear view mirror.
It would be odd if they were opposite!?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
That’s it. The photo of the camera view shows camera view is mirror image. The photo is normal view.
I never realised the difference until I put them together. It is completely intuitive that the rear view camera shows you the same as rear view mirror.
It would be odd if they were opposite!?
Indeed- I edited my original post just before I saw your reply. My eureka moment was that it's meant to be the image as seen in the rear-view mirror...obvious to everyone but me 😁
The really daft thing is, I must see mirrored reg plates a lot when I'm reversing, just never notice them (I suppose my excuse is I'm usually focusing on a specific obstacle rather than taking in the wide view).
Anyway, on another note...I hadn't appreciated just how bad that camera view is until I saw yours 😲.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Taycan's a wide car…
But excellent handling. Go for Rear-wheel steering.

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
:whew::whew: I had a tough situation today with the car. I was following waze and it made me pass by a VERY narrow street (one way only) with big kerbs both side. Thankfully I had all the wheel cameras on but even with it I thought I would hit the rims from both side. I just don't know how I managed to go through... And yes I drove at 2km/h and the lady behind me was mad and used her horn several times but I was like " I DON T GIVE A F*CK ABOUT YOU LADY,... I must not scratch my rims".
Why are people jerks like that. She could easily see that my car barely fitted in that street & that I was extra careful. Never again. 🤪

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
:whew::whew: I had a tough situation today with the car. I was following waze and it made me pass by a VERY narrow street (one way only) with big kerbs both side. Thankfully I had all the wheel cameras on but even with it I thought I would hit the rims from both side. I just don't know how I managed to go through... And yes I drove at 2km/h and the lady behind me was mad and used her horn several times but I was like " I DON T GIVE A F*CK ABOUT YOU LADY,... I must not scratch my rims".
Why are people jerks like that. She could easily see that my car barely fitted in that street & that I was extra careful. Never again. 🤪
It's very rare for me to have someone honking behind me but it has happen once or twice in my life.

When it happens. Stop the car, climb out and go ask the driver behind you honking if everything is OK. Be prepared to smile and say 'ok' to whatever they scream but the face they make as they're now wasting even more time, is priceless.

They usually never honk again.

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It's very rare for me to have someone honking behind me but it has happen once or twice in my life.

When it happens. Stop the car, climb out and go ask the driver behind you honking if everything is OK. Be prepared to smile and say 'ok' to whatever they scream but the face they make as they're now wasting even more time, is priceless.

They usually never honk again.
I did stop the car for 2sec but didn’t climb out 😝 I was too focused not hitting the rims.
Sponsored