How Happy Are You With Your Taycan?

• Total voters

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
In Tesla’s case, their forum was embedded on Tesla.com and was fully sponsored by Tesla until they unceremoniously shut it down. I doubt Porsche NA monitors much written here, though I wish they would.
what you are referring to is the tesla sponsored forum, in addition to their own forum there was and is this forum which has been around a very long time, is widely used and is monitored by tesla.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/
Sponsored

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seen a lot of posts with people complaining about various issues regarding reliability, charging issues, Porsche/dealer support etc.

I’m just trying to get a feel for the percentage of people who feel like they made a good decision vs a bad decision in getting their car.

Given this is a fairly new car for Porsche, you would expect there to be some teething problems. I’m not sure at this point if I should be concerned with what I read on the forum or is it just an expected number of issues based on the number of people who hav me the car. I’m sure people are more likely to share a bad experience than if the car is performing as expected. Thank you!
The glitches with the software do not in any way take away from the experience of driving this amazing car. Stops it getting the "exceeds expectations" vote, but I am still very happy with the car. Even seeing it parked in the garage makes me smile (and want to just go out for a drive).

Pwh819

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cross Turismo - Chalk
Country flag
Have now had mine three months now (traded my 991.2) and am still grinning every time I get into it. Ride quality, acceleration and overall handling is unbelievable (for a car of this weight). Not sure I’ll ever go back to an ICE. Would have checked off the “exceeded expectations” box if it weren’t for the usual PCM related foibles. After 8 Porsche’s I continue to be baffled by why Porsche can’t make the simple things work (ie: car play connection) as they do on Audi’s, or even VW’s!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The trunk beeping in the US is simply awful. These are minor quibbles though - the overall package is amazing.
Trunk beeping is annoying and really not needed. Getting unplugged eventually. My only issue, albeit minor, is iphone 12 overheating in center console wireless charging. Not a big deal - overall package is amazing.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Trunk beeping is annoying and really not needed. Getting unplugged eventually. My only issue, albeit minor, is iphone 12 overheating in center console wireless charging. Not a big deal - overall package is amazing.
Agreed.

My daughter's Toyota Rav 4 (top-trim), with a closer button on the hatch, beeps once just before starting to close. Not annoying in the least. Wish Porsche had been satisfied with that solution instead of the continuous loud beeping while closing. I'll ask my body shop to uncover the beeper (mounted in the trunk lid) and unplug it.

The sensor is extremely sensitive to obstructions, so it's not like it's going to sever body parts.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for all of the votes and comments so far. Perhaps a summary of everything as I understand it:
  • Majority of people are very happy or ecstatic with the purchase at around 90%
  • Significant minority are unhappy at just under 10% - probably less than what you might assume based on forum posts. I would say that it is a little high for a high quality brand like Porsche but perhaps understandable due to teething problems with a new model
  • Vast majority of the issues are software based (ironically something where Tesla excels IMO)
  • Another concern is poor customer service from Porsche North America - i think most of us would be OK with things going wrong if we felt the way it was dealt with appropriately by Porsche and the dealer
  • Charging also seems to be a PITA - again ironic as the Tesla supercharging network is largely flawless.
Overall I feel more confident about my purchase and am looking forward to taking delivery. I am going in with eyes open that the software and charging may not be great but hopeful that they make improvements over the next 6 months and beyond. It is still a very new car and teething problems are to be expected.

I may actually meet with the dealer and service manager to make my concerns known up front and ask them for their thoughts.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The glitches with the software do not in any way take away from the experience of driving this amazing car. Stops it getting the "exceeds expectations" vote, but I am still very happy with the car. Even seeing it parked in the garage makes me smile (and want to just go out for a drive).
I answered “very happy” and the software bugs are the reason.

I would bump it to “exceeds expectations” if the following were addressed:

• Move the steering wheel in addition to the seat for comfort entry, to eliminate the Taycan Squeeze. Getting in and out of the car is a huge frustration for me and probably the only thing that gives me any feelings of regret.
  • PCM: The calendar shows events on the wrong days.
  • PCM: Sometimes audio stops working requiring pulling over and rebooting.
  • PCM: Sometimes Apple Music stops working requiring changing profiles to fix.
  • Rethink charging and just do what Tesla does. Timers/Profiles are overly complex, and the “charge at the last minute for your destination time” makes the process feel unpredictable.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

• Move the steering wheel in addition to the seat for comfort entry, to eliminate the Taycan Squeeze. Getting in and out of the car is a huge frustration for me and probably the only thing that gives me any feelings of regret.
  • Rethink charging and just do what Tesla does. Timers/Profiles are overly complex, and the “charge at the last minute for your destination time” makes the process feel unpredictable.
I must admit I was surprised at your rating as I think I had noticed you were very unhappy with the number of times your car was in the dealer for updates. So it is definitely very useful and interesting to hear the additional context that your overall experience and enjoyment of the car is positive despite the software failings.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

My steering wheel moves up and in with comfort entry activated.
Agreed about timers, make it easier to set charging preferences.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks for all of the votes and comments so far. Perhaps a summary of everything as I understand it:
  • Majority of people are very happy or ecstatic with the purchase at around 90%
  • Significant minority are unhappy at just under 10% - probably less than what you might assume based on forum posts. I would say that it is a little high for a high quality brand like Porsche but perhaps understandable due to teething problems with a new model
  • Vast majority of the issues are software based (ironically something where Tesla excels IMO)
  • Another concern is poor customer service from Porsche North America - i think most of us would be OK with things going wrong if we felt the way it was dealt with appropriately by Porsche and the dealer
  • Charging also seems to be a PITA - again ironic as the Tesla supercharging network is largely flawless.
Overall I feel more confident about my purchase and am looking forward to taking delivery. I am going in with eyes open that the software and charging may not be great but hopeful that they make improvements over the next 6 months and beyond. It is still a very new car and teething problems are to be expected.

I may actually meet with the dealer and service manager to make my concerns known up front and ask them for their thoughts.
I think your assessments are close to reality.
what to me is quite troublesome is how Porsche NA seems to go into vaporlock thinking whenever there is a unique software issue. some people have been without their cars for week and even months. Porsche customer care is anything but customer care. for a car at this price level the aftercare from porsche is abysmal.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I reached out to my SA. His response is that he has sold 23 Taycans and every one of his customers has been happy. He acknowledged the MY20 had issues and believes these were no major issues with MY21 and expects MY22 to be even better. He will setup a meeting with me and his sales manager and service manager.

Is there anyone else at the dealer who is important that I should meet with? Do they have a customer service/complaints manager or is that dealt with by the sales manager?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I must admit I was surprised at your rating as I think I had noticed you were very unhappy with the number of times your car was in the dealer for updates. So it is definitely very useful and interesting to hear the additional context that your overall experience and enjoyment of the car is positive despite the software failings.
Well a big part of the Taycan for me was staying OUT of the service department. I was delighted that my first scheduled service was nothing but a brake flush 2 years out. :)

To be fair to Porsche I’ve only had the car in for service twice so far:

1. To enable ALK and InnoDrive which failed to update themselves
2. AMB5 (which I wanted to combine with service visit 1 and could not.)

My frustration around getting the recall update is an extended frustration I’ve had with ALL software updates on Porsches over the years. I never had a map update go correctly the first time, for example…all took multiple hours, repeats, and a large out of pocket cost. So this mess around the AMB5 was just reopening those deep wounds.

I’m just spoiled by my wife’s Tesla which updates itself in our garage over wifi, and I wish Porsche had gone this route too.

I really do like the car though. It is a joy to drive and now that I’m vaccinated against the sudden shutdown I’m eager to take it on a long trip. It seems like a really great touring car.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Well a big part of the Taycan for me was staying OUT of the service department. I was delighted that my first scheduled service was nothing but a brake flush 2 years out. :)

To be fair to Porsche I’ve only had the car in for service twice so far:

1. To enable ALK and InnoDrive which failed to update themselves
2. AMB5 (which I wanted to combine with service visit 1 and could not.)

My frustration around getting the recall update is an extended frustration I’ve had with ALL software updates on Porsches over the years. I never had a map update go correctly the first time, for example…all took multiple hours, repeats, and a large out of pocket cost. So this mess around the AMB5 was just reopening those deep wounds.

I’m just spoiled by my wife’s Tesla which updates itself in our garage over wifi, and I wish Porsche had gone this route too.

I really do like the car though. It is a joy to drive and now that I’m vaccinated against the sudden shutdown I’m eager to take it on a long trip. It seems like a really great touring car.
the frustration should be that Porsche claimed that the cars would be updated OTA rather than at the dealership. the last update took 2 days, this one I have to wait until the end of august in order for them to provide a loaner. they failed on the promise of OTA updates

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I reached out to my SA. His response is that he has sold 23 Taycans and every one of his customers has been happy. He acknowledged the MY20 had issues and believes these were no major issues with MY21 and expects MY22 to be even better. He will setup a meeting with me and his sales manager and service manager.

Is there anyone else at the dealer who is important that I should meet with? Do they have a customer service/complaints manager or is that dealt with by the sales manager?
When I was shopping for my Taycan I was worried about the 12v battery drain (it was a big thing at that time) so I asked a dealer about it. They said they have never heard of it but the reality was that they had 2 bricked Taycans in service. They might lose a customer if they admit there are issues. How does your SA know that all 23 owners are happy? Did he call them one by one? My SA never called me to check if I am happy.

I understand that you want some peace of mind, but it does not matter what the SAs or the forum members say. If you happen to be in the x% of the cars that have serious or repeated issues, then as mentioned above, good luck to you to getting a resolution with PCNA...
If you are in the (100-x)% of lucky owners then you will enjoy the car.
Sponsored

Last edited: