How Happy Are You With Your Taycan?

• Total voters

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I live in Chicago. When winter comes, its cold as hell here and heat is mandatory !!
you'd be surprised how well the seats would keep you toasty. I spent 2 months in CO skiing and relied on the seat heaters and was just fine.
Sponsored

Cinbow

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tough question. I Love driving the car. The laundry list of software problems that is ever growing and evolving is worse than any car I have ever purchased. I have never had a new car back at the dealership this much. Some problems are very annoying and others are safety issues. Happy as can be when it’s .. well it’s never been bug free.. driving but getting old driving a loaner.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
agreed, in the 9 years or so of tesla ownership I had to have the cars visit the shop less than 5 times, I've had the taycan back 3 times in 6 months of ownership.
porsche really needs to up their game.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Happy? For the most part. Love the driving experience. Dislike paying to be a beta tester for their digital goodies.

Surround view doesn't work and the dealer has no clue why. ACC doesn't detect stopped car in front when approaching from beyond the initial detection range. LKA is worthless and unreliable. Car frequently fails to unlock when I approach and frequently fails to lock when closing the door and swiping the door handle. PCM does weird stuff (a technical term). Apple Car-play frequently fails to start when starting the car. Phone occasionally fails to be recognized when starting the car.

The hardware engineering and construction is insanely good. The digital systems... not so much.

But, there is still nothing like it as a rewarding driving experience.

Reactions: B61

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Don't swipe it, touch the dent in the handle.
I still get probably 50% failure rate on the driver door on touching the dent. As in, if it fails, I can try touching it multiple times and it still won't take. Luckily, I then switch to the driver's side rear door and that always seems to work the first time.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I still get probably 50% failure rate on the driver door on touching the dent. As in, if it fails, I can try touching it multiple times and it still won't take. Luckily, I then switch to the driver's side rear door and that always seems to work the first time.
when exiting the car try using the button on the rear door handle. why? I can't say but on my car it seems to be more responsive.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My experience is a bit different so I want to share, and note that I have a 2021 4s (my 2020 4s was totaled by another driver - a longer story).

Surround View works very consistently, and adds to my sense of comfort. I still feel it is my responsibility to look around and be sure I'm not running into anything/anyone.

LKA (really should be Active Lane Keeping - ALK) only works above ~40 mph so don't expect it to kick in on city streets. I find it helpful above 40 mph, and if you are using Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) then ALK kicks in above 0 mph and I've found it to work well. I am curious about InnoDrive and may add that to my system.

I agree that engaging the "Lock" function by swiping the door handle is not reliable. I don't get why this is the case since it seems pretty basic and something Porsche should have nailed down.

For the 2021 I find the PCM to be much improved in terms of stability. I can easily criticize aspects of the User Experience but in reality all cars have some goofy menus and controls. I don't find the Taycan to be too much better or worse than other cars I've owned.

I absolutely love wireless Apple CarPlay! That said, it sometimes fails to connect. By touching the Devices icon I can then touch the connect button and this usually fixes the problem. As it happens the Lexus cars I've owned also sometimes don't connect and the only solution is to unplug the USB cable and reconnect. For all of you who are in the half-full category, can I just say that the fact that being able to use my iPhone apps is itself somewhat miraculous in my mind and gets better all the time. ;)

Not let's stop talking about the PCM. The fact is that this car is a Porsche through and through, and it drives so well that all other issues melt away every time I drive down the street. I simply love the acceleration, the handling, the looks I get from other drivers, and the fun I have owning this car.

My recommendation? Suck it up and enjoy living on the edge a bit. This is the best car I've ever owned.

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I agree that engaging the "Lock" function by swiping the door handle is not reliable. I don't get why this is the case since it seems pretty basic and something Porsche should have nailed down.
Don’t swipe it - just touch it. Lay your finger on the dent until you hear it chirp.

Works 100%.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
ACC doesn't detect stopped car in front when approaching from beyond the initial detection range.
To my knowledge, this is a characteristic of all radar-based ACC/driver assistance series. At least it was on my Tesla, our Toyotas, my 718 & any ACC rentals I’ve driven.

As I understand the issue, stationary objects are problematic for these systems. As a matter of course, they need to ignore stationary objects like road signs, stanchions, trees, dividers, etc. that may appear in the radar’s field and would otherwise be false returns. So when you say come over a hill to a line of stopped traffic in the distance, the system just interprets that as any other stationary object, since it has no frame of reference that it was ever moving.

I’m not a radar engineer, but that’s my Fisher-Price explanation of how I understand it.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Don’t swipe it - just touch it. Lay your finger on the dent until you hear it chirp.

Works 100%.
Ditto. I don't know where people are hearing to swipe it.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I had my big SW update last week.
All good. Only noticable difference so far–consumption seems to be down.
Will keep an eye on this.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
The driving experience is fantastic. The tech is lamentably bad for a premium product. Porsche is lucky that hardly anyone under 40 can afford their cars! With VW backing and German engineering talent this is quite hard to understand?

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
Having learned about software teething issues with a Fisker Karma, I am delighted with the minor glitches in the Taycan software. The car drives like rocket ship and in sport mode, a roller coaster....and not having to pump gas is a delight. I charge the car in my garage so can't speak to Electrify America issues but there are 2 EC charging stations within 5 miles of my house....For kicks I did hook up...and with the help of a lovely support person was able to due a high speed charge in the station near my house.

Every time I get in the car, I end up grinning ear to ear.

Buck
Sponsored