Taycan owners in Belgium? CT? EV fast charging in Belgium.

Dirk

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E Coupé, Mercedes V
Country flag
I hope they will change that expected battery date to somewhere in October. It’s really painful to know that your whole car is ready and the only thing missing is a f*ing 12V battery
Hello Dirk,
who gave you such details. My Sale rep cannot provide me such details, the only think he/she can say is that my ordered CT is in Prod since 06-22 but looped several times back in Prod (probably due to missing parts), but so far , they never mention me awaiting for a 12 Lithium Ion battery so far.
They just told me like you Mid-December <=> Mid-Jan 23.
My dealer called me this morning with this information, all cars that are leaving the factory now have no 12v battery and being stored in wearhouses near the factory….waithing on the 12V battery that need to be installed before they send them to the dealer ….he is waithing on 46 Taycans with the same issue
Sponsored

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My dealer called me this morning with this information, all cars that are leaving the factory now have no 12v battery and being stored in wearhouses near the factory….waithing on the 12V battery that need to be installed before they send them to the dealer ….he is waithing on 46 Taycans with the same issue
how hard can it be for a brand like Porsche to get 12V batteries somewhere else if their main supplier is having issues.

it’s a 12V battery for god’s sake.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
They are performance lightweight batteries. But yeah.. can’t be that unique

cronek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST, Ford Transit
Country flag
Mine's also one of the missing 12V battery cars. Supposed to be coming in this or next week...
Car rolled out of the factory somewhere in July and has been sitting since.

Dirk

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E Coupé, Mercedes V
Country flag
I received last thursday a mail from porsche that my car left the factory, was waithing on 12V batterie since the 12th of September.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
For those you are worried with the charging speed:

I commute 120km per day and I charge at home at only 3.2kw.
There are some days when the car does not go completely to 80% during the night. But it is compensated the next day.
So to my experience you do not need 11kw or 7.6kw charging speeds. I think that even 2kw will be enough for most people.

Next year there will be additional taxes on the peak load on the electricity grid. That will be an extra reason to charge at lower speeds.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
For those you are worried with the charging speed:

I commute 120km per day and I charge at home at only 3.2kw.
There are some days when the car does not go completely to 80% during the night. But it is compensated the next day.
So to my experience you do not need 11kw or 7.6kw charging speeds. I think that even 2kw will be enough for most people.

Next year there will be additional taxes on the peak load on the electricity grid. That will be an extra reason to charge at lower speeds.
I have a 22 Kw charger but have set it on lowest setting around 4 Kw and it enough for me like you mentioned. I have done this to anticipate to the electricity billing based on generated peaks and also my solar panels. They can generate 10 Kw but I also want to charge my home battery (max 5 Kw) during the day.

My sister visited me and she was really happy to charge her car in 3 hours at 22 Kw during her visit. So fast home chargers are probably more for your guests than for your self if you can charge over night.

Next year however I don’t think I will let her do this anymore with the new rules. They will look at the maximal peak for 15 minutes each months.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I have a 22 Kw charger but have set it on lowest setting around 4 Kw and it enough for me like you mentioned. I have done this to anticipate to the electricity billing based on generated peaks and also my solar panels. They can generate 10 Kw but I also want to charge my home battery (max 5 Kw) during the day.

My sister visited me and she was really happy to charge her car in 3 hours at 22 Kw during her visit. So fast home chargers are probably more for your guests than for your self if you can charge over night.

Next year however I don’t think I will let her do this anymore with the new rules. They will look at the maximal peak for 15 minutes each months.
yes, indeed

Another argument to charge at slow speeds:
The losses in the cabling can be significant if your charging point is far from your metering closet. I calculated that for me the difference between charging at 11kw or 2kw is 2% extra loss in the cabling.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
yes, indeed

The losses in the cabling can be significant if your charging point is far from your metering closet. I calculated that for me the difference between charging at 11kw or 2kw is 2% extra loss in the cabling.
Thanks didn’t know that. I my house I have 20 meters of cable to my charging point. This could be significant.

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I received last thursday a mail from porsche that my car left the factory, was waithing on 12V batterie since the 12th of September.
after leaving the factory it can take another 2 weeks until it is at the dealer.

frietzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
yes, indeed

But how did you measure the total losses? Because I have seen articles talking about big losses when charging at slow speed. And that's between your charger and car battery. Because of this it's better to charge at higher speed.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
But how did you measure the total losses? Because I have seen articles talking about big losses when charging at slow speed. And that's between your charger and car battery. Because of this it's better to charge at higher speed.
Just calculate with Ohm's law:
U=R.I (Voltage is resistance times current)
and
P=U.I (Power is voltage times current)
and
the resistance of a copper cable per meter

Charging is more efficient at lower current because of less power loss in the cables and the charger because P=R*I^2.

I think what you are referring too is not the efficiency of charging a battery. There was a paper that said that it is sometimes interesting to lower the amount of time a battery is charging to increase the battery life. So it stated there is an optimal charging speed to optimise battery life. Not too fast. Not too slow. But that research is a bit questionable and the impact was not that high. I wouldn't care too much about that.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Just calculate with Ohm's law:
U=R.I (Voltage is resistance times current)
and
P=U.I (Power is voltage times current)
and
the resistance of a copper cable per meter

Charging is more efficient at lower current because of less power loss in the cables and the charger because P=R*I^2.

I think what you are referring too is not the efficiency of charging a battery. There was a paper that said that it is sometimes interesting to lower the amount of time a battery is charging to increase the battery life. So it stated there is an optimal charging speed to optimise battery life. Not too fast. Not too slow. But that research is a bit questionable and the impact was not that high. I wouldn't care too much about that.
Power losses in the cables and other components are as you say the current squared.

However it seems that the charger which converts AC to 800 volt DC will have some overhead which is more of a fixed value (300 - 500 watts??). So the power loss will show a higher percentage loss at lower charge levels.

cronek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST, Ford Transit
Country flag
Lovely!
Mine's still sitting at the distributor in Bxl, they were not able to get it to Ghent before Christmas. So still some waiting for me.
Sponsored