PJLI

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S / 912 C2/ 911 4S / Mercedes S550 / Maseratti Gran Turismo
Country flag
I waited over 18 months for my Taycan. I ordered it in Florida ( Champion Porsche) to be picked up at Atlanta for the Porsche experience. Unfortunately, due to Covid ... I had to accept delivery in NY. Accordingly, I never had a formal walk thru of the vehicle. After several weeks of futzing with the software.... I realized certain segments of the electronics just didn't work properly.
I brought it to the local Dealers attention (Gold Coast Porsche).....

Am I confusing you so far?

My car has been at the dealership for a week now with electronic issues that can’t be determined. My PCM module has been changed out and the car still cannot communicate with Bluetooth and the Porsche Server....

Mechanically, the car works well... as a Porsche should. The electronics are the issue.. it makes makes me wish for simpler days of my very intuitive Tesla S.

I have been disappointed with correspondence from the dealership ... and am frustrated with leasing an expensive Headache while driving an entry level Macan.

This is the response from the service manager after repeated calls to him..
“Working with engineering at Porsche technical possible software change. PCM was replaced but a couple functions aren’t working. They are working directly with my shop foreman “

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I collected my car on Friday, have exactly the same issues. No connection to Connect or BT. Car is having Ppf and back to the dealer on Monday. Let’s see what happens

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Did not have any problems with my PCM until 3 weeks ago when it stopped communicating with the Porsche server.... I had just changed phone so did not think much about it since I thought it was a glitch with the new phone..... Called Porsche assistance during last weekend and after an hour on the phone with the guy we determined that the problem was most probably with the PCM....... After several resets and restarts, I can no longer instal my Porsche ID nor reset the PCM properly......... anyone else has this problem....?

OP
OP
PJLI

PJLI

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S / 912 C2/ 911 4S / Mercedes S550 / Maseratti Gran Turismo
Country flag
I collected my car on Friday, have exactly the same issues. No connection to Connect or BT. Car is having Ppf and back to the dealer on Monday. Let’s see what happens
After over a week of diagnostics, installing updates and replacing the PCM ... I believe they have everything working properly. I guess it’s part of being some of the first cars off the line... though I expected more of Porsche.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did not have any problems with my PCM until 3 weeks ago when it stopped communicating with the Porsche server.... I had just changed phone so did not think much about it since I thought it was a glitch with the new phone..... Called Porsche assistance during last weekend and after an hour on the phone with the guy we determined that the problem was most probably with the PCM....... After several resets and restarts, I can no longer instal my Porsche ID nor reset the PCM properly......... anyone else has this problem....?
Try a 12V disconnect. I could not factory reset PCM until I did a 12V disconnect. If after that you cannot log in with your Porsche ID (in an area with known good cell service), have your dealer check out the OTA Control Module.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try a 12V disconnect. I could not factory reset PCM until I did a 12V disconnect. If after that you cannot log in with your Porsche ID (in an area with known good cell service), have your dealer check out the OTA Control Module.
Yah we did that and the final answer is the OTA module that has to be changed...... So hopefully we will have a new one available in the beginning of 21........ :fingerscrossed:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Yah we did that and the final answer is the OTA module that has to be changed...... So hopefully we will have a new one available in the beginning of 21........ :fingerscrossed:
My "my internet module" (probably your "ota module") has been changed in October, so far so good.
But after 4th of December I can't seem to connect the app to the car.
I've mailed the developer of the app and a ticket has been made.
The more tickets made, the more serious Porsche has to take this.
It doesn't update status anymore, no timers can be reset or send.
Car is still at the location of the 4th of December with status "charging", which it isn't.
After our lockdown I'll contact my dealer (in 5 weeks) if it isn't sorted.
This software is really getting annoying...

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My "my internet module" (probably your "ota module") has been changed in October, so far so good.
But after 4th of December I can't seem to connect the app to the car.
I've mailed the developer of the app and a ticket has been made.
The more tickets made, the more serious Porsche has to take this.
It doesn't update status anymore, no timers can be reset or send.
Car is still at the location of the 4th of December with status "charging", which it isn't.
After our lockdown I'll contact my dealer (in 5 weeks) if it isn't sorted.
This software is really getting annoying...
Yah same module OTA meaning Over The Air. They managed to get a new one for me in 1 day so installed today and test tomorrow so I can take the car tomorrow night........
Yah I even said that to my Porsche center: the car is as wonderful to drive as the software is awful! and when people on this forum bash Tesla’s software for being too much in your face they should at least acknowledge that it works but the car is boring to drive compared to our Taycans..... Oh well, does not seem like you can ever have every thing as you want. :)

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can always sell it and go back to your very intuitive Tesla S
Don’t think that is what he ment, but rather that the Taycan is amazing but with crappy third party electronics. This even your Porsche dealer will avoue for. including all models with the newer PCMs.... :cool: But they can’t do much about it.... They are an amazing auto engineering firm and not a software engineering firm...:)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Don’t think that is what he ment, but rather that the Taycan is amazing but with crappy third party electronics. This even your Porsche dealer will avoue for. including all models with the newer PCMs.... :cool: But they can’t do much about it.... They are an amazing auto engineering firm and not a software engineering firm...:)
True but software can be updated while a car can not... :giggle:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True but software can be updated while a car can not... :giggle:
The problem is when the package is in small modules fabricated by different manufacturers to cut price.......... :-(

It is in the end probably not the OTA module since the new one does not want to talk to the rest of the PCM and no one at Porsche Switzerland NOR Porsche factory Germany, knows what the problem could be, because they do not manufacture the pieces and nor do the program them....... so now I can still drive the car (which is good) but without any other electronics for the forceable future...... and that’s pretty sh** in my book........ :-(

not what I was hoping for as a Christmas present..........

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The problem is when the package is in small modules fabricated by different manufacturers to cut price.......... :-(
Sorry to hear that you still have the trouble. At least you can drive the car but it does take away some of the pleasure with the Taycan.

I think you are correct in that the PCM and other parts of the car is more of a systems integration effort from Porsche and indeed the whole VW group. They are still applying the old known ICE thinking in having suppliers build subsystems that then will be integrated. That approach in itself requires a lot of very strict specifications to be successful. And Software is not something Porsche has good track record of. Just look at all the issues of having the Connect app working and logging in to the car.

They will sort this out eventually I hope, but it is not going to happen in the next couple of years unfortunately.

Hopefully you will avoid all troubles with SW for the drivetrain etc.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

It is in the end probably not the OTA module since the new one does not want to talk to the rest of the PCM and no one at Porsche Switzerland NOR Porsche factory Germany, knows what the problem could be, because they do not manufacture the pieces and nor do the program them....... so now I can still drive the car (which is good) but without any other electronics for the forceable future...... and that’s pretty sh** in my book........ :-(

not what I was hoping for as a Christmas present..........
Still, besides that the software can be updated, the hardware can be changed too (we both have the new module, right?).
Ok, not a good example but I'm sure you understand what I mean.
And this takes time, it wasn't a good solution to replace the module as my old one worked fine.
But then again, I'm just guessing here.
There must be a valid reason they had to change it.
I don't think Porsche would accept that a third party delivers shitty modules.
Porsche is known for keeping customers happy so I'm confident that it'll be solved, either in software or in hardware.
I agree this sucks big-time.
I'm driving around in my OWN car as a GUEST for crying out loud!
:mad:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Still, besides that the software can be updated, the hardware can be changed too (we both have the new module, right?).
Ok, not a good example but I'm sure you understand what I mean.
And this takes time, it wasn't a good solution to replace the module as my old one worked fine.
But then again, I'm just guessing here.
There must be a valid reason they had to change it.
I don't think Porsche would accept that a third party delivers shitty modules.
Porsche is known for keeping customers happy so I'm confident that it'll be solved, either in software or in hardware.
I agree this sucks big-time.
I'm driving around in my OWN car as a GUEST for crying out loud!
:mad:
At least you can’t overstay your welcome...
Sponsored