Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Hmm. A few options here I don't have. My car is specced with everything sans PDCC, Nightvision, and the Innodrive options. MY21. Sport Chrono lap timer for example is new to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Can I use it to scroll through the 270 folders on my USB device?
Hey, @evanevery - I don't know if you've answered this before, and I haven't tried it, but...what happens if you connect a mouse with a scroll wheel to one of the USBs port in the car?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Hey, @evanevery - I don't know if you've answered this before, and I haven't tried it, but...what happens if you connect a mouse with a scroll wheel to one of the USBs port in the car?
Good lord! I hope NOTHING!

You think it would be better if we had to drive around with a mouse in our lap?

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Haha! Please tell me it works. God yes. Please. Just... Do it.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good lord! I hope NOTHING!

You think it would be better if we had to drive around with a mouse in our lap?
Nah. I'm thinking that a HID profile would allow the creation of an iDrive-like "knob".

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nah. I'm thinking that a HID profile would allow the creation of an iDrive-like "knob".
If there truly is some sort of support for a mouse (or trackball!) that would make me very scared that they "ported" this software from some other "non-vehicular" project. That would be very sad and scary indeed...

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Don’t leave it on overnight, or your house might not turn on in the morning.

(sorry... I’ll show myself out...)

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If there truly is some sort of support for a mouse (or trackball!) that would make me very scared that they "ported" this software from some other "non-vehicular" project. That would be very sad and scary indeed...
Well, I mean, we know it's a Unix core and Docker, and if you look at the reboot screen it pretty clearly has development modes, and you know that runs in a simulator (maybe not even much of one!) in a regular, non-car environment, so it wouldn't shock me that there might be mouse support in there.

None of that would make me 'scared'. In fact, it would make sense, no?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I mean, we know it's a Unix core and Docker, and if you look at the reboot screen it pretty clearly has development modes, and you know that runs in a simulator (maybe not even much of one!) in a regular, non-car environment, so it wouldn't shock me that there might be mouse support in there.

None of that would make me 'scared'. In fact, it would make sense, no?
Yes, you are absolutely correct. It could be designed to support a mouse for "development" mode. I didn't consider that...

As a nod to your insight, I am going out to try one now... I will report back shortly...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I grabbed on old Logitech Trackman USB trackball I had laying around and went out to the car. After climbing into the car and juggling the console lid to try and see the USB ports, I then had to climb back out, find a flashlight, and attempted to plug it in WITHOUT actually sitting in the seat. It was then, that my Taycan reminded me I needed a USB-C connector....

Back out of the car, up to the shop and into my collection of USB adapters... Located a USB-A to USB-C adapter as needed...

After leaning into my car to connect the trackball (cause you can't actually plug anything into the USB ports while sitting in the driver's seat), I climbed back in, fired her up, and...

HOLY CRAP! Angry Birds just popped up on my console and I can play it with my mouse!

Just kidding...

Nothing...

There really isn't any service for a mouse pointer in the Nav system, so a "development mode" which supported one really wouldn't be of much value I think... Not even for Porsche Software designers who might want to play Angry Birds in all the spare time they must have...

Last edited:

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It could be designed to support a mouse for "development" mode.
Thinking about this even more, it seems clear that the "touchpad" that they're showing is likely a HID-simulation, too, and kind of indicative of what mouse support would "look like" - but they may not have mapped it into the hardware USB ports.

Just kidding... Nothing...
Alas. Well, it was a thought.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thinking about this even more, it seems clear that the "touchpad" that they're showing is likely a HID-simulation, too, and kind of indicative of what mouse support would "look like" - but they may not have mapped it into the hardware USB ports.

Alas. Well, it was a thought.
If it truly was supported, and then ported to an "online simulator", they wouldn't need to present the simulator interface as a video presentation. They could make it available as a direct UI in a web app. (Avidyne does this with their Aviation panels. You can download an app which is a PC fork of the actual panel software.)

It actually makes me happy the support is not there. Now I won't be tempted to duct tape a trackball to my beautiful console because Porsche didn't have the design skills to come up with a better way to scroll lists of folders and music...

Never-the-less, the Online Simulator is pretty cool and useful I think! (I just wish whatever time and effort they spent developing the simulator could have been invested in resolving some of the shortcomings in the software we already have...)

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You can drive the car by scrolling the mouse wheel!

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
Hmm. A few options here I don't have. My car is specced with everything sans PDCC, Nightvision, and the Innodrive options. MY21. Sport Chrono lap timer for example is new to me.
Nothing about lap timer on my '21 4s too, i don't know why...

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Nothing about lap timer on my '21 4s too, i don't know why...
This PCM simulator BTW has been available for a long time, not that new - referenced in multiple threads over last 2 years! :)

In regards the Lap Timer I think it links (assuming you have Sport Chrono) to the Track Precision app available for download - that app uses the cars cameras/sensors to record track sessions with a ton of infometrics - besides the built in tracks it is possible to create your own track - accuracy of course dep. on GPS precision at your loc. I can't confirm specifically how exactly the PCM integration looks right now as my car is in the shop getting it's arches painted but if you haven't download the app have a go and check it out - very cool :)
Sponsored