Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas?

PNWEV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, Tesla Model 3, Mercedes 3500XD
Country flag
I'm not a huge fan of the black plastic skirts and spoilers but I get it. It is a wear surface. I am resisting the urge to spend $4k to have them taken off, sanded, and painted gloss black. I figure they will just get chipped in the end and I'm would to spend a bunch at the Porsche dealer re-calibrating all the sensors (since the bumper needs to be pulled to remove the front spoiler.)

My question is - anyone have thoughts about what these plastic pieces can be coated with to make them shiny, keep them more black than faded grey, and hopefully make them less of a dirt magnet?

I'm playing with an idea to do Dura Coating:

https://dura-coating.com/products/dura-coatx-permanent-trim-coating

Thoughts?
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
You can get it wrapped in high gloss black and it'll be less fuss.

OP
OP
PNWEV

PNWEV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I considered that but the company who installed the PPF said that wrap would not stick to the rough plastic. I read similar input online.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I considered that but the company who installed the PPF said that wrap would not stick to the rough plastic. I read similar input online.
Another chap (in Colorado) with his own wrap business posted on this forum the work he did on his CT - cherry black wrap but he also wrapped the black fender arches on this CT and they appear to have worked perfectly - he did not even bother sanding and the wrap appears to have adhered fine - not for me personally but still an option - if I can find the tread I'll repost.

I'm painting my fenders this week but TBH, again not a huge fan of wraps (largely as the moment you get the slightest chip/tear etc the underlying paint color shows through and noticeably so!) however might still be a consideration for you and a lot cheaper than paint I suspect.

EDIT - found it here #16

Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been though the same thinking process. The reason for not having them painted is not because of wear surface, most of the “plastic” is painted on the Turbo model. I have the sport design kit om my 4S (glossy black) and had my front lip painted to have the black glossy look all the way. A new from lip is EUR 280, paint job EUR 200, cash?. On top of that, I got a nano coating. It looks stunning. It is not easy to do the replacement yourself. But don’t go half way, do the real thing and upgrade to the turbo kit. I got all the part numbers if you need them.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Let me see if I can get my ceramic guy to tell me the product he used. He put something on them that worked really well, they look nice on my car. But I also don't mind plastic in areas likely to take damage, I'm a practical guy.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
That company is local to me and their tire coating is INCREDIBLE. That formula is not going to work well on that rough plastic. I clean my mine thoroughly with a cotton towel when washing the car and they stay nice looking. Granted, they were ceramic coating when the car was new and got its full PPF and coating.

Road debris will damage them over time - especially the rear section where they bow outwards. I would replace if they get really bad since it's impossible to protect them 100% unless someone wants to Line-X or spray bed liner them.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
That gloss wrap will look like shit after a few thousand miles.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
That was 2020.

It can be done by reputable detailers who knows what they are doing.

And can I say I agree? The plastic details on the Taycan does not do the car justice. I thought the original version was so so... then came CT (!!!!).... But have seen some nice cover ups which lasts, so go for it.

KPZ

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3
Country flag
I have been though the same thinking process. The reason for not having them painted is not because of wear surface, most of the “plastic” is painted on the Turbo model. I have the sport design kit om my 4S (glossy black) and had my front lip painted to have the black glossy look all the way. A new from lip is EUR 280, paint job EUR 200, cash?. On top of that, I got a nano coating. It looks stunning. It is not easy to do the replacement yourself. But don’t go half way, do the real thing and upgrade to the turbo kit. I got all the part numbers if you need them.
Please post or PM part numbers from the turbo. Agree that this is best approach.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
For any UK owners wanting to get this done, Auto Forensics (based in Addlestone, Surrey) paint the plastic parts (gloss black, body colour), alongside PPF install.

I got my Taycan PPF install from them (as have a few owners on this forum), so I can vouch for their quality. PM me if you want more details.

Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-42-54
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-42-54 2
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-42-55
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-43-28
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-43-28 2
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-44-39
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-44-39 2
Porsche Taycan Taycan plastic parts - modification ideas? PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-44-39 3

OP
OP
PNWEV

PNWEV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For any UK owners wanting to get this done, Auto Forensics (based in Addlestone, Surrey) paint the plastic parts (gloss black, body colour), alongside PPF install.

I got my Taycan PPF install from them (as have a few owners on this forum), so I can vouch for their quality. PM me if you want more details.

PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-42-54.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-42-54 2.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-42-55.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-43-28.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-43-28 2.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-44-39.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-44-39 2.jpg
PHOTO-2022-01-14-09-44-39 3.jpg
Looks great. Reputable paint shops where I live want about $5k US to remove the pieces, prep, paint and reinstall. I guess the entire bumper needs to come off. Afterwards, sensors need to be recalibrated at the PD which I am sure isn't "free".

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Pricing starts at £1,250 plus VAT for anyone interested for the complete job.

w1z

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Pricing starts at £1,250 plus VAT for anyone interested for the complete job.
Thanks for this, hopefully getting my car in March, I'm definelty interested. How long did it take them to complete?
Sponsored