Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
So I was first to break the news of the 2 week production halt, which did eventuate, and I now unfortunately have been advised that Taycan production will be stopped for what could be a substantial period of time.

I have a Crayon GTS on order and have been advised I am next in the que for an allocation at the dealership. If I don't get an allocation by the end of May I may be waiting for a build date in 2023 as Taycan production is supposed so stop.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just conveying information that some guys may wish to have and everyone can make their own minds up about likelihood and credibility of this information.
Sponsored

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
What exactly is substantial? And do you mean model year 2023 or actually building it in 2023.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Did you get a feel for whether "substantial" is any more than the annual summer production break + rescheduling around supply chain challenges as has been ongoing since March? If you don't get a build slot before that break then 2023 wouldn't be that surprising, especially if your dealer receives few allocations.

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
I ordered in Nov 2021 with original delivery date set in May 2022. Since then, it has been radio silence. Last week I checked with my Porsche center. The car entered production mid March and is still in production with an expected finish time in mid May. Now the delivery date is set in June.
Porsche center also said that after my batch (I assume May batch). The production line will be put on hold for three months due to supply chain challenges and summer month. Cars will be produced as MY23.
My SA's guess is that MY23 will have very limited changes due to heavy order book and difficult supply chain situation.

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
I ordered in Nov 2021 with original delivery date set in May 2022. Since then, it has been radio silence. Last week I checked with my Porsche center. The car entered production mid March and is still in production with an expected finish time in mid May. Now the delivery date is set in June.
Porsche center also said that after my batch (I assume May batch). The production line will be put on hold for three months due to supply chain challenges and summer month. Cars will be produced as MY23.
My SA's guess is that MY23 will have very limited changes due to heavy order book and difficult supply chain situation.
This must be what my dealer was probably talking about. 3 months would be longer than than the usual summer break.

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
What exactly is substantial? And do you mean model year 2023 or actually building it in 2023.
He said built it 2023. But of course this could be region specific. Other markets may get priority over Australia when production resumes.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
According to my info (today) from my dealer's factory ordering system, 3 weeks production halt seems a fact between 05 May and 27 May.
The mentioned 3 months halt will not happen, serial production continues as parts are available.

That means in my order's case (GTS):
History
- Preorder contract with deposit Nov, 2021
- Order contract Feb, 2022 with week 19, 2022 production

Factory System Info recently
- 06 May: "Fixed for production" VIN is created
- 27 May: "Entering Bodyshop" --- There is a gap for 3 weeks halt that delays the car from Week 19 to week 23 --- (bad luck)
- 03 June "Entering Assembly Line"
- 10 June "Factory Invoice to the Dealer"

It is EU but maybe helpful for some of us.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
According to my info (today) from my dealer's factory ordering system, 3 weeks production halt seems a fact between 05 May and 27 May.
The mentioned 3 months halt will not happen, serial production continues as parts are available.
That sounds more plausible than a 3 month complete halt...and wouldn't be inconsistent with some dealers/models not getting a MY23 build slot this year.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
Do you guys think this has anything to do with that ship sinking in addition to the supply issues?

Funny thing, I have a crayon GTS on order as well. Initial order placed Nov 2021 delivery in May 2022. Last update I received was the car enter the body shop on April 7; about 20 days late from the 'Expected Date'. I am expecting delivery in June now.

DavidG

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag

That means in my order's case (GTS):
History
- Preorder contract with deposit Nov, 2021
- Order contract Feb, 2022 with week 19, 2022 allocation

Factory System Info recently
- 06 May: "Fixed for production" VIN is created (WP0ZZZY1ZNSA57877)
- 27 May: "Entering Bodyshop" --- There is a gap for 3 weeks halt that delays the car from Week 19 to week 23 --- (bad luck)
- 03 June "Entering Assembly Line"
- 10 June "Factory Invoice to the Dealer"

It is EU but maybe helpful for some of us.

View attachment 35700
These dates seem normal to me there is always two to three weeks between fix and production start.

Deleted member 6348

This is all about wiring harness challenges with the war in Ukraine. The new lockdowns in China are also a contributing factor.

European automakers are currently unable to produce cars at full capacity. The supply chain issues will persist for the foreseeable future.

Good news for resale values.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Did you get a feel for whether "substantial" is any more than the annual summer production break + rescheduling around supply chain challenges as has been ongoing since March? If you don't get a build slot before that break then 2023 wouldn't be that surprising, especially if your dealer receives few allocations.
Summer break is/was usually in August.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
The car entered production mid March and is still in production with an expected finish time in mid May. Now the delivery date is set in June
Afaik, production takes up to 9 days.

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
Afaik, production takes up to 9 days.
Same story here - I had been told in mid April production started but just got bumped from May to June delivery when they checked on the system.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Putin‘s war of aggression in Ukraine has had an significant impact on automobile production. Ukraine is a major supplier of crucial electronic components, wiring, etc. and Putin‘s war, excuse me, “special military operation”, has totally shut down production at the companies producing those parts.

As long as the war in Ukraine continues and until manufacturers like Porsche, Mercedes and VW get other suppliers online, cars like the Taycan will be severely constrained.

We're in a long haul here, so don't hold your breath.

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-03-war-ukraine-rattles-auto-industry.html
Sponsored

Last edited: