whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Many long time Porsche owners know how the business works, so put down a deposit in anticipation of a GTS model, even before it was announced.

I should imagine many have done the same for the electric Cayman and Macan.

They then get on the wait list before the flood of orders (deposits) come in.
By that definition, deposit to delivery can be many, many years. Not that putting money down after the official product release can't be years nowadays - I'm currently almost a year waiting for a CT Turbo, not even an allocation in sight. At last 12 months production rate I'm looking at 3-4 years deposit to delivery.
Sponsored

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
not upset at all, just means Yanks might get Taycans before Brits- bigger market?
Not all Yanks are getting their deliveries quickly - on some forums I'm on they're waiting as long as / longer than Brits.
I guess like here it varies from dealer to dealer.
In my own dealership a guy that ordered 2 months after me got his car last month. My dealer apologised saying the guy was a regular that's ordered 6 cars over the years, so they bumped him to the front of the line:(

X88

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Well, my GTS apparently went into the "Start Production" phase today, so it sure seems like they're still building them, and boy am I happy about it, since I've been waiting since September
Very happy for you! I paid the deposit for my GTS in January; TYD is showing Start Production on 06/03 and I'm keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
You reckon the europeans aren't upset we left their EU club?
Trust me, I speak a few European languages, plus I'm married to one so I can tell you a few stories about how they'll never forgive us. After Germany we were the 2nd biggest next contributor financially to the club and they had a huge trade surplus with us.
Anyway enough politics, this subject always ends up in tears - lets stick to cars:cool:👍
Let's stay off the controversial stuff.

Let's talk about football, Covid lockdown measures and Covid jabs.
All the non controversial stuff that everyone agrees on. 🤣

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
How did you order a GTS in September as it has been unveiled in November 2021 ?
To be clear, I had a deposit on a 4S CT since September that had yet to get an allocation. I had been hounding my dealer over it for a couple months when the GTS was announced, and they just so happened to have an ST allocation available, so I jumped on it. My company also gave me a nice raise and bonus around the same time, so I see it as a sign that moving up to the PTS GTS ST was the right thing to do. Just hoping they have a few factory pictures that I can post here as it goes through production.

Asu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing
Country flag
To be clear, I had a deposit on a 4S CT since September that had yet to get an allocation. I had been hounding my dealer over it for a couple months when the GTS was announced, and they just so happened to have an ST allocation available, so I jumped on it. My company also gave me a nice raise and bonus around the same time, so I see it as a sign that moving up to the PTS GTS ST was the right thing to do. Just hoping they have a few factory pictures that I can post here as it goes through production.
I contact 95% of the dealers in the States the past few days to see if they had allocation available for 4 cross turismo. Two said they did with adm but once I ask them bout freeze n production date they went silent. Ill probably just put deposit on a waitlist n hope they got allocation by year end.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not a good news for those that doesn’t have an allocation yet…

According to a recent Financial Times report, the company’s CEO, Herbert Diess, has revealed that Volkswagen is “basically sold out [of] electric vehicles in Europe and in the United States” for the remainder of the year.​

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/you-can-forget-about-buying-an-electric-vw-audi-or-porsche-in-2022
Very ambiguous. Does "sold out for the year" mean there will not be any more allocations made available between today and next year? Or does it account for people without allocations but already in line at the dealerships? If no more allocations, that would mean Porsche will have a really low volume year. They usually allocations periodically throughout the year, and this year was has seen a lot less allocations than usual. But who knows, maybe Porsche will just morph into a niche, low volume brand, like Lamborghini.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
Very ambiguous. Does "sold out for the year" mean there will not be any more allocations made available between today and next year? Or does it account for people without allocations but already in line at the dealerships? If no more allocations, that would mean Porsche will have a really low volume year. They usually allocations periodically throughout the year, and this year was has seen a lot less allocations than usual. But who knows, maybe Porsche will just morph into a niche, low volume brand, like Lamborghini.
I located the original FT article (published May 4th, 2022) and looks like he meant that those that hasn’t have order in the system yet will not be receiving the car in 2022. So it may just be that there will be no new 2022 allocation but if you could find one that the dealer is holding on to then you should still be able to get one I guess…

https://www.ft.com/content/96b7acaf-7984-4eab-83d7-940aa4ca20d4

However, VW boss Herbert Diess said that, since demand had remained robust, the company had an order backlog in western Europe of 300,000 electric cars. He added that customers now placing orders in Europe and the US would not get their electric models delivered before 2023. “We have very high order books and . . . order intake on electric vehicles,” Diess added. “That accounts for all of our models from ID.3, ID.4, the Audi models — [all] are extremely well received in the markets, Škoda models are also very well received in Europe.” He said: “We are basically sold out on electric vehicles in Europe and in the United States. And in China, it’s really picking up.”​

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I located the original FT article (published May 4th, 2022) and looks like he meant that those that hasn’t have order in the system yet will not be receiving the car in 2022.
Define "in the system". I put my first deposit down in July last year. There was no allocations available. I'm on a few waiting lists since then. Couple of the dealers have asked for a build code around December/January saying "Porsche wants it in the system to put into the system for planning". I still don't have an allocation. Is my order "in the system" since July, since December/January, or not in the system at all? 🤔

So it may just be that there will be no new 2022 allocation but if you could find one that the dealer is holding on to then you should still be able to get one I guess…
The dealers are usually not "holding onto the allocations" nowadays. They get them once or twice a month. Usually they have waitlists of people willing to put the order in, or some of them think they can spec a car themselves and sell it for more. So if there are no more allocations coming this year, that would mean they will have had only 4 months worth of allocations (instead of 12) this year, and those months were significantly lower number of allocations than previous years. That would mean significantly lower volumes than in the past.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Facts:
- Taycan's original annual production capacity: 20k
- Seeing the demand in 2019-20 it has been increased to 40k
- Production 2021 is 42k, that is really stretched to the capacity
- Q1 2022 production is 9,5k that means Taycan received the highest support (Skoda the lowest) to produce taking the fact of that it generates the highest margin (Skoda the lowest)

So Taycan's annual production nr can't be higher than 42-44k taking the existing capacities. Increasing prod capacity is not in the pipelines.

What they do now is maximizing the profit from this situation. Allocating more cars for higher margin market Europe (higher selling prices less transporting cost etc.) and cutting back the lowest margin markets (US, China), knowing these are very important markets so doing it relatively carefully.

All together demand is the "problem", production nr (Taycan) is "all right" per capacity.

2022 Q1
Taycan (all versions): 9,470 (up 4%)
including 1,925 in the US (down 4%)

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time 1651837249923

See a significant overall shift Europe/USA and China Q1 2021/22. It is NOT demand but allocation.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time 1651835744023

Last edited:

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
This is good news.

For anyone who dropped their deposit up to March this year, they can expect a wait of around 18 months before delivery.

Those of us with cars being delivered through next year drive off the forecourt with a car that has just appreciated 10%.

Supply and demand.

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
Facts:
- Taycan's original annual production capacity: 20k
- Seeing the demand in 2019-20 it has been increased to 40k
- Production 2021 is 42k, that is really stretched to the capacity
- Q1 2022 production is 9,5k that means Taycan received the highest support (Skoda the lowest) to produce taking the fact of that it generates the highest margin (Skoda the lowest)

So Taycan's annual production nr can't be higher than 42-44k taking the existing capacities. Increasing prod capacity is not in the pipelines.

What they do now is maximizing the profit from this situation. Allocating more cars for higher margin market Europe (higher selling prices less transporting cost etc.) and cutting back the lowest margin markets (US, China), knowing these are very important markets so doing it relatively carefully.

All together demand is the "problem", production nr (Taycan) is "all right" per capacity.

2022 Q1
Taycan (all versions): 9,470 (up 4%)
including 1,925 in the US (down 4%)

1651837249923.png

See a significant overall shift Europe/USA and China Q1 2021/22. It is NOT demand but allocation.

1651835744023.png
Good info👍
On another profit related point, where do we stand if Porsche increases the price on a Taycan say 8 months after putting down a deposit on a car schedule for June or July production?

Adz_1990

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4, VW T6, Turbo S CT, Cayenne Hybrid (due)
Country flag
Good info👍
On another profit related point, where do we stand if Porsche increases the price on a Taycan say 8 months after putting down a deposit on a car schedule for June or July production?
Generally speaking, you'll pay the price of the car per build code and that model year with associated pricing. In other words, a deposit is not a confirmed order, IE, you have not got to commit and they have not got to deliver. Until its a confirmed build slot with signed order form, at that stage the price is locked in.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
Not all Yanks are getting their deliveries quickly - on some forums I'm on they're waiting as long as / longer than Brits.
I guess like here it varies from dealer to dealer.
In my own dealership a guy that ordered 2 months after me got his car last month. My dealer apologised saying the guy was a regular that's ordered 6 cars over the years, so they bumped him to the front of the line:(
I’m quite surprised the dealer would disclose this information to you. Something similar happened to the Mrs Macan GTS but less sinister. We were 10th and he was 16th in the queue at the same dealer. He wasn’t even in the same round of allocations yet was able get his car a month earlier. Our car was stuck in production for an additional 6 weeks due to “custom tailoring”.
Sponsored