Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
US gets expedited orders because it's the second biggest market after China.

Europe waits.

UK waits longer.
NOT true by far. US waits Europe receives. See how deliveries changed +- YTD. Additionally US (sold numbers NOT population or square meters etc.) smaller than Europe a lot, Europe is the second biggest market before China and US recently, what is more America.
Note: UK is part of Europe but not EU.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time 1651835744023
Sponsored

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
It's possible that the decrease in shipments to the US was due to the sinking of the Felicity Ace in Q1 2022. All of those cars were destined for the East Coast of the US and Canada.

The population of the US is around 330 million, while the EU population (according to Wikipedia) is 447 million. So you are right: the US is smaller in population than the EU. That said, according to your chart, in Q1 2021, the US received 17k Porsche cars while the EU received 19k cars. Back of the envelope math shows that the EU has 33% more people but only gets 10% more Porsche cars.

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its possible that the decrease in shipments to the US was due to the sinking of the Felicity Ace in Q1 2022. All of those cars were destined for the East Coast of the US and Canada.
Far not by these numbers. Sank less than 600 Porsches.
Without it minus would be not 25% but ca. 23-24%.

Porsche 718 Boxster GTS 4.01
Porsche Cayenne (2015)1
Porsche Cayenne, Macan, Panamera30
Porsche other558

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's possible that the decrease in shipments to the US was due to the sinking of the Felicity Ace in Q1 2022. All of those cars were destined for the East Coast of the US and Canada.

The population of the US is around 330 million, while the EU population (according to Wikipedia) is 447 million. So you are right: the US is smaller in population than the EU. That said, according to your chart, in Q1 2021, the US received 17k Porsche cars while the EU received 19k cars. Back of the envelope math shows that the EU has 33% more people but only gets 10% more Porsche cars.
It is not about population but delivered cars clearly. Market size measured not to the population ratio. Row nr.

And forget 2021 Q1 it is Q1 2022 now, when -back to the envelope math- shows that Europe (not equal to EU that means European Union) that has 33% more people but gets 42% more Porsche cars. - Really, it is not relevant.

Again:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time 1651835744023

Last edited:

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
US gets expedited orders because it's the second biggest market after China.

Europe waits.

UK waits longer.
Really?
Not according to a friend of my dealer that works in Porsche Downtown in Los Angeles.
Their customers are waiting longer than the UK on average, though it also depends on the model and how regularly that customer orders. They prioritise regular customers and that can cause a difference of 2-3 months compared to first time buyers.
Sadly it's not a black and white 'first come first get' process but who would you prioritise between a 'walk in' and a regular??.
I know what I would do

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
It is not about population but delivered cars clearly. Market size measured not to the population ratio. Row nr.

And forget 2021 Q1 it is Q1 2022 now, when -back to the envelope math- shows that Europe (not equal to EU that means European Union) that has 33% more people but gets 42% more Porsche cars. - Really, it is not relevant.

Again:
1651835744023.png
Europe isn't a country and each country has its own allocation.

China, then the USA is Porsche's biggest market.

Anecdotally, this forum seems to suggest the USA is getting more GTS orders delivered than any country in Europe.

That makes business sense. You prioritise your key markets.

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Europe isn't a country and each country has its own allocation.

China, then the USA is Porsche's biggest market.

Anecdotally, this forum seems to suggest the USA is getting more GTS orders delivered than any country in Europe.

That makes business sense. You prioritise your key markets.
I do not prioritize anything but you do. You are simple not able to eat that, in Q1 2022 Europe (incl. UK) sold more than America (incl. US) or China. So in Q1 2022 China then the USA are simply not biggest markets as the last reported QY.

It is not a race but seeing numbers simply.
I do not mind Europe or USA or China bigger market.
To make you happy I am living in one of the smallest market Hungary, with only one dealership so your country is bigger in any measure.

Individually my GTS (that anecdotally goes nearly exclusively to the USA according to your words) will be delivered in June 2022, that has been ordered February, 2022.

05.06 V250 fixed
05.27 V260 entering boody shop (CP 0.0)
06.03 V270 exit production (CP7.8)
06.03 V300 completion (CP8.0)
06.10 O400 dealer invoiced

So maybe true: size does not matter.

That is my pleasure to see happy people getting their cars anywhere independently from country or anything else.

Last edited:

David Baldwino

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Turismo
Country flag
So I was first to break the news of the 2 week production halt, which did eventuate, and I now unfortunately have been advised that Taycan production will be stopped for what could be a substantial period of time.

I have a Crayon GTS on order and have been advised I am next in the que for an allocation at the dealership. If I don't get an allocation by the end of May I may be waiting for a build date in 2023 as Taycan production is supposed so stop.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just conveying information that some guys may wish to have and everyone can make their own minds up about likelihood and credibility of this information.
So, 2024 MDL....worth waiting for Solid State Battery then

Asu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing
Country flag
Really?
Not according to a friend of my dealer that works in Porsche Downtown in Los Angeles.
Their customers are waiting longer than the UK on average, though it also depends on the model and how regularly that customer orders. They prioritise regular customers and that can cause a difference of 2-3 months compared to first time buyers.
Sadly it's not a black and white 'first come first get' process but who would you prioritise between a 'walk in' and a regular??.
I know what I would do
I saw an video on YouTube the other night talking bout it. It seem the US is one the biggest market for Porsche but the profit is much lower. Since they r producting so few Taycans at the moment so the priorities goes the country where they can make the most profit

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I saw an video on YouTube the other night talking bout it. It seem the US is one the biggest market for Porsche but the profit is much lower. Since they r producting so few Taycans at the moment so the priorities goes the country where they can make the most profit
Its even more so on Porsche's ICE cars in US vs Europe. Take a base 911 Turbo S in US is US$208,350:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 01.01.48

In my market – Ireland – the same car is US$347,367 at current rates (€319,022). There may be a few differences in specs and taxes – but there is way more gravy for Porsche too.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 01.03.26

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Its even more so on Porsche's ICE cars in US vs Europe. Take a base 911 Turbo S in US is US$208,350:

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 01.01.48.png

In my market – Ireland – the same car is US$347,367 at current rates (€319,022). There may be a few differences in specs and taxes – but there is way more gravy for Porsche too.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 01.03.26.png
Does the Ireland price include tax? US prices never do because taxes vary by state. I don't think the money Porsche gets for a base car varies much between the US & EU. US maybe a little less because US cars tend to carry more profitable options.

Asu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing
Country flag

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 01.01.48.png

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 01.03.26.png
That’s crazy, I’m surprised the difference is that high. I wonder what allocation wait is in other countries? I emailed 95% in the dealers in the States in hope getting allocation spot for the 4 CT. Only few had allocation spots available but I’m pretty sure they were BS. One told me they already had MY2023

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Look, don't shoot the messenger guys. I was told the info that i relayed above to my face in person, yesterday, by a Porsche SA.

so he either lied to me straight faced or there's more nuance that i was not let in on. both are entirely possible but i'd really like to believe it's #2.

shit maybe he read it here? idk. i'm relatively new to this. but i was told this from a dealer so i added to the convo. if i'm wrong i'm wrong and we all get the cars sooner. and i'll put my hand up and say "my bad" if i am

I interpolated the detail about August, based on the note that all 23 model year production cannot start until 2023 model year switchover - and that ain't happening until late summer.

my allocation was already converted to 23. this was confirmed in the ordering system. either way, I have not moved up one single place in line in 5 months for GTS ST. so that's not really a good sign.

take it as you will.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
In my own dealership a guy that ordered 2 months after me got his car last month. My dealer apologised saying the guy was a regular that's ordered 6 cars over the years, so they bumped him to the front of the line:(
I expect that is my case too.
I have used a dealers owned by the same guy for different brands for decades but never bought a Porsche from them.
In retrospect I should have used my contacts to jump the queue since it seems the done thing within the Porsche dealer network.
Too late now.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Look, don't shoot the messenger guys. I was told the info that i relayed above to my face in person, yesterday, by a Porsche SA.

so he either lied to me straight faced or there's more nuance that i was not let in on. both are entirely possible but i'd really like to believe it's #2.

shit maybe he read it here? idk. i'm relatively new to this. but i was told this from a dealer so i added to the convo. if i'm wrong i'm wrong and we all get the cars sooner. and i'll put my hand up and say "my bad" if i am

I interpolated the detail about August, based on the note that all 23 model year production cannot start until 2023 model year switchover - and that ain't happening until late summer.

my allocation was already converted to 23. this was confirmed in the ordering system. either way, I have not moved up one single place in line in 5 months for GTS ST. so that's not really a good sign.

take it as you will.
Accepted, and appreciate any info. From my side I do the same, sharing my info.

I think it does not matter Porsche makes 23 or 22 cars. What is the difference MY22/23? Maximum cosmetics or maybe nothing as happened at Porsche many MY changes before. My MY2017 911 991.2 was exactly the same as MY2016 or MY2018. Only 1-2 colors have been introduced that is all.

MY is a US thing, in Europe nobody cares. We count the cars age from the day we 've been delivered, that is all.
MY change does not mean that they need to change assembly line elements or body shop robots etc.

What really matters is, do they produce cars as normal (with the usual summer break) or not? -Should not fade it out with the MY game.
Sponsored

Last edited: