nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Look, don't shoot the messenger guys. I was told the info that i relayed above to my face in person, yesterday, by a Porsche SA.

so he either lied to me straight faced or there's more nuance that i was not let in on. both are entirely possible but i'd really like to believe it's #2.

shit maybe he read it here? idk. i'm relatively new to this. but i was told this from a dealer so i added to the convo. if i'm wrong i'm wrong and we all get the cars sooner. and i'll put my hand up and say "my bad" if i am

I interpolated the detail about August, based on the note that all 23 model year production cannot start until 2023 model year switchover - and that ain't happening until late summer.

my allocation was already converted to 23. this was confirmed in the ordering system. either way, I have not moved up one single place in line in 5 months for GTS ST. so that's not really a good sign.

take it as you will.
To be clear, do you have a confirmed allocation, or are you in the dealer's waiting list for an allocation? It sounds more like the latter, and that makes a lot more sense given the context. The way I'm reading it, you had a deposit down earlier this year, and the dealer hasn't received allocations as quickly as they thought, probably because of the production stoppages that already happened, which is now pushing your build to a 2023 model because Porsche has no more allocations until MY2023 production begins.

None of that really implies that production will be stopped again (beyond normal yearly break), but I would certainly be looking for a dealership where I wasn't 5th in line for a GTS ST if I wanted any chance of getting it this year.
Sponsored

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
The EU’S sludgey decision-making processes has left it behind the curve on Ukraine. It’s just not fit for purpose. Not sure about PPE but it was also dismal on vaccines wasn’t it? God knows why this is still debated though. I’m Greek so have little skin in the game to be fair - cheers for the bailout cash though 🤣

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Accepted, and appreciate any info. From my side I do the same, sharing my info.

I think it does not matter Porsche makes 23 or 22 cars. What is the difference MY22/23? Maximum cosmetics or maybe nothing as happened at Porsche many MY changes before. My MY2017 911 991.2 was exactly the same as MY2016 or MY2018. Only 1-2 colors have been introduced that is all.

MY is a US thing, in Europe nobody cares. We count the cars age from the day we 've been delivered, that is all.
MY change does not mean that they need to change assembly line elements or body shop robots etc.

What really matters is, do they produce cars as normal (with the usual summer break) or not? -Should not fade it out with the MY game.
In the US, the biggest change between MY22 and MY23 may be the matrix headlights, which have been disabled in all US models due to regulations, but those recently changed and they are now legal.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Not insignificant price increase as well for 2023, at least for RWD and CT4 is $4k. That was the main reason I wanted to avoid getting bumped to 2023, given that there didn't seem to be any material changes. Perhaps 2023 would have an advantage on depreciation but I think a lot of these higher end cars tend to have mileage-driven depreciation over year

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
In the US, the biggest change between MY22 and MY23 may be the matrix headlights, which have been disabled in all US models due to regulations, but those recently changed and they are now legal.
Doesn't look like that is happening yet... The configurator has changed to MY 2023 but still has the following disclaimer on the Matrix headlights option

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.​

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
It seems to me it is rather a local regulation change than a technical one. Matrix was there MY20/21/22 but not allowed to use (US). Additionally it will be enabled for all previous MYs parallel.
All together I can't see any minor technical change MY22/23. Nor cosmetic either (lets suppose the awful chrome frame around the lower screen is a config glitch).

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't look like that is happening yet... The configurator has changed to MY 2023 but still has the following disclaimer on the Matrix headlights option

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.​
Wow, Porsche is slower to change than US government regulators, which usually move at glacial speeds. This doesn't even seem like a huge change given they've had this functionality for years in other markets. Perhaps even software feature changes for Porsche require years of lead time.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It seems to me it is rather a local regulation change than a technical one. Matrix was there MY20/21/22 but not allowed to use (US). Additionally it will be enabled for all previous MYs parallel.
All together I can't see any minor technical change MY22/23. Nor cosmetic either (lets suppose the awful chrome frame around the lower screen is a config glitch).
If they had Tesla-like OTA updates, sure. But if you have to go to the dealer to deploy new firmware, and we know that Porsche hasn't quiet gotten the firmware updates down (as reported here often times if causes other issues which require hours of tech time to diagnose). Of course I could be wrong, but my gut tells me they won't be upgrading older cars. Even it technically possible, it will cost Porsche to make up the detailed upgrade procedure, then train the techs to do it, then pay them to do it, which means each upgrade is pure loss for Porsche, for little benefit (somewhat happier customers whose money they already have).

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
If they had Tesla-like OTA updates, sure. But if you have to go to the dealer to deploy new firmware, and we know that Porsche hasn't quiet gotten the firmware updates down (as reported here often times if causes other issues which require hours of tech time to diagnose). Of course I could be wrong, but my gut tells me they won't be upgrading older cars. Even it technically possible, it will cost Porsche to make up the detailed upgrade procedure, then train the techs to do it, then pay them to do it, which means each upgrade is pure loss for Porsche, for little benefit (somewhat happier customers whose money they already have).
Well, that would be very bad reputation to Porsche not to do. It is in the car just have to lift a ban.
But of course anything can happen.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, that would be very bad reputation to Porsche not to do. It is in the car just have to lift a ban.
But of course anything can happen.
Neh, If Porsche can live down not retrofitting powered steering columns to cars they promised the retrofit for, they will not bat an eye about not upgrading older car matrix headlights. Anyone buying the car knew it was disabled. Unless Porsche made some written promise they would enable it if at any time in the future it becomes legal, they're in the clear. Cars sold with speed limiters have not historically gotten retroactively upgraded if a country changes regulations (up or down). Firmware improvements for engine ECU's and such also rarely made it to existing cars in the ICE car age. I know people think "it's just software, it's free", but it really isn't - it has to be written, tested and qualified on older hardware for US, then procedure to upgrade has to be created and tested, then techs have to be trained, then the dealer time has to be paid for including any complications which might arise.

Btw, I am not saying they shouldn't upgrade, simply providing facts why this is probably not going to happen.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
One thing I noticed in the MY2023 Taycan is that you can now option the Variable Light Control panoramic roof introduced in the GTS for US$3,290 on other trims including the RWD.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production to Stop for a 'Substantial' Period of Time 1652120839801

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
But…..I love the Mission E wheels and they’re not available on the CT range.
That’s probably enough to keep me favouring the saloon if nothing else.
Might be the ST is the one for you then, available with all the same wheels as the saloon. I am patiently waiting for my 4S ST which according to my SA I’ll be getting a MY22 model so should avoid the price bump!

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Sorry everybody reading this thread for the off-topic posts. I'll refrain from responding to this person any more. To any non-Brits reading; please don't tar us all with the same brush. We're not all like this clown!

I've been meaning to introduce myself in the "introductions" thread, and I will do that soon. I ordered a Taycan a few weeks ago, and I joined this forum as a result of that.

Hello!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I've been meaning to introduce myself in the "introductions" thread, and I will do that soon. I ordered a Taycan a few weeks ago, and I joined this forum as a result of that.

Hello!
Welcome! What have you ordered and what indication did you get about lead times?

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Welcome! What have you ordered and what indication did you get about lead times?
Taycan RWD in Dolomite Silver, Blackberry full leather. I'll make a proper post in the correct thread when I get the chance. I don't want to clog up this thread.

Before placing my order, I was told the lead time could be up to a year. I placed the order about three weeks ago, and a week later my production was confirmed for September this year. No idea if this is realistic, but that's what I've been told. The sales guy said he had one build slot put aside and managed to grab it for me. I wouldn't mind if it's a bit later than September, because I'm taking delivery of an M3 Competition in just over a week, and the Taycan will replace the M3, so I want to enjoy the M3 for a bit longer if I'm honest.

This is in the Netherlands.
Sponsored