whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
We are indeed. Shipping is not the problem besides the extremely high costs. The showroom was full with all porsche ICE models, just no Taycans. On the other hand, I see a lot of Taycans on the road, they are very popular! I guess it's simply a supply demand problem.
I am actually predicting that the Porsche showrooms will refill within few months, as the economy slows down, markets take a dive, and people start conserving money.

At one of the dealers where I am on the waiting list, a customer ahead of me got the one allocation they got, but when the car arrived over a month ago, they backed out. The car has been sitting at MSRP since, something almost unheard of few months back. The car is too different from my build for me to consider, but not one of those "unique" configurations which appeals to a very small number of people. Yet, it's not flying off the lot as it would have not long ago, not even to the other people on the wait list. Maybe too different for them too, or they are not ready to buy anymore. Ironically, if I had gotten that allocation, I would have paid MSRP and been driving it now. By the time my allocation comes though, I'll probably be looking for discount.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
My dealer suggested that people will drop out once a recession hits (UK). Hope so because I've got 16 people ahead of me so we could be driving flying saucers before I get my hands on a Taycan

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
My dealer suggested that people will drop out once a recession hits (UK). Hope so because I've got 16 people ahead of me so we could be driving flying saucers before I get my hands on a Taycan
Which dealer was that?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am actually predicting that the Porsche showrooms will refill within few months, as the economy slows down, markets take a dive, and people start conserving money.
Maybe, but I have a very different outlook. The QE pumped such imense money into the system and the pandemic prevented lots of spending. There is a lot of catching up coming...

At one of the dealers where I am on the waiting list, a customer ahead of me got the one allocation they got, but when the car arrived over a month ago, they backed out. The car has been sitting at MSRP since, something almost unheard of few months back. The car is too different from my build for me to consider, but not one of those "unique" configurations which appeals to a very small number of people. Yet, it's not flying off the lot as it would have not long ago, not even to the other people on the wait list. Maybe too different for them too, or they are not ready to buy anymore. Ironically, if I had gotten that allocation, I would have paid MSRP and been driving it now. By the time my allocation comes though, I'll probably be looking for discount.
I had no waiting in 2019 to place an order, just the production was delayed. How long have you been waiting to even place an order? Porsche seems to be surprised by the demand, and now considers to get listed on the stock market to cash in on the bursting order books and record breaking profits coming up...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe, but I have a very different outlook. The QE pumped such imense money into the system and the pandemic prevented lots of spending. There is a lot of catching up coming...
In the USA, estimates are people's savings due to COVID cash injections are melting away quick, depending on which expert you listen to, they either have evaporated completely or are about to in September time frame. Additionally, even if people have savings, they start conserving as the economy downturns - which means they have the money, but not willing to spend it all.

I had no waiting in 2019 to place an order, just the production was delayed.
The world was a MUCH different place in 2019 than today.

How long have you been waiting to even place an order?
One year so far with 2 dealerships, slightly less with others (I ended up reaching out to dealers coast to coast). My queue position range is between position #1 to #3. The allocation volumes have been so low that some of the dealers I talked to have yet to deliver a single Cross Turismo Turbo ever. As far as I have been able to gather, there might have been less than 100 them manufactured for the USA total since introduction (might be less than 50 actually). Given that the queues I've been in are not that deep, I am not sure this is an overwhelming demand issue, it's more of a production issue. I suspect 500 of CTT's would satisfy all the CTT queues in the USA today, likely leave some spec cars for the inventory. It's like when Tesla stopped producing Model S for a bit, the expected delivery times kept on growing, and some people took it as such an overwhelming demand. Once the production re-started, the expected delivery times returned to normal for Model S, even during COVID times, there was even inventory cars to choose from (especially on Plaid). As the world economy is circling the bowl however, I see customers dropping out of the queues as people start to conserve cash.

Last edited:

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
meanwhile you can't still order an model S or X in Europe. It's just blocked without any dates and a huge back order already.

secondly a normal Taycan is 15 months waiting in Europe

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
In the USA, estimates are people's savings due to COVID cash injections are melting away quick, depending on which expert you listen to, they either have evaporated completely or are about to in September time frame. Additionally, even if people have savings, they start conserving as the economy downturns - which means they have the money, but not willing to spend it all.
But these people are not new car buyers, let alone Porsche customers, right?

One year so far with 2 dealerships...
Wow. Generally speaking EVs are in demand and most manufacturers find it hard to scale up production. BMW i4, Audi Q4 etron have close to 2 years waiting list in Germany.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But these people are not new car buyers, let alone Porsche customers, right?
With the Taycan, the buyer profile has changed, at least in the USA. Talking with dealers, the most commonly traded in car is a Tesla. Tesla buyers are not traditional Porsche buyers like pre-Taycan days. Very often their Tesla purchase was a stretch costing more than 2x the price of their past most expensive car ever. A very common profile of a Tesla buyer is a tech firm employee, who often gets a large portion of their compensation from stock options or grants. With stocks taking a dive, a lot of people's portfolios, and more importantly future value of unvested stocks has plummeted recently, so they are less likely to purchase. Furthermore, with stocks going down, tech companies are enacting hiring freezes, even layoffs, making people in the tech sector more nervous about new financial commitments like a car payment. I strongly suspect that a large percentage, perhaps even a majority, of people who are buying Taycans have never owned a Porsche before.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
Why are you talking about me teslax

:D

my Tesla is getting 4 years.. in Europe it is common to buy a new company car then. And I din't want to buy almost the same car ( model Y ) so I feel that I don't have another choice beside Taycan.

sedeuG

First Name
L. G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, 2 X Ducati, Taycan 4S Crayon
Country flag
This discussion is a little off topic but it is becoming one of the most interesting in this forum.

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So I was first to break the news of the 2 week production halt, which did eventuate, and I now unfortunately have been advised that Taycan production will be stopped for what could be a substantial period of time.

I have a Crayon GTS on order and have been advised I am next in the que for an allocation at the dealership. If I don't get an allocation by the end of May I may be waiting for a build date in 2023 as Taycan production is supposed so stop.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just conveying information that some guys may wish to have and everyone can make their own minds up about likelihood and credibility of this information.
Correct now looking a minimum of 24 months lead time and if China kicks off no need to worry anymore as world will end

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Correct now looking a minimum of 24 months lead time and if China kicks off no need to worry anymore as world will end
True but let's not overlook the fact that the OP's shock breaking news exclusive that Taycan production will be stopped for what could be a substantial period of time is in fact bollocks, as clearly demonstrated by the constant (albeit greatly reduced) flow of deliveries announced on this forum.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
With the Taycan, the buyer profile has changed, at least in the USA. Talking with dealers, the most commonly traded in car is a Tesla. Tesla buyers are not traditional Porsche buyers like pre-Taycan days. Very often their Tesla purchase was a stretch costing more than 2x the price of their past most expensive car ever. A very common profile of a Tesla buyer is a tech firm employee, who often gets a large portion of their compensation from stock options or grants. With stocks taking a dive, a lot of people's portfolios, and more importantly future value of unvested stocks has plummeted recently, so they are less likely to purchase. Furthermore, with stocks going down, tech companies are enacting hiring freezes, even layoffs, making people in the tech sector more nervous about new financial commitments like a car payment. I strongly suspect that a large percentage, perhaps even a majority, of people who are buying Taycans have never owned a Porsche before.
close to spot on! this is my first Porsche, but I pulled my early adopter Tesla S deposit in 2013 and bought an Audi S7 when I noticed the Tesla compromised interior and exterior gaping.
Sponsored