Taycan Purchasing Advice

Gt1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and have appreciated everyone’s insight on all of the other posts.

I have a couple of questions regarding everyone’s experience with the Taycan as I am hoping to place my order soon.

1) I currently drive a current model M5 and tbh, I never drive it to its capabilities but I do appreciate a good handling car. Furthermore I think much of my satisfaction comes from just hearing the exhaust note. Have any of you who have come from an ICE car felt the sport sound at least replaced some of this feeling? Any regrets?

2)I’ve Always wanted a Porsche and like the idea of going electric but still a bit uncertain. I’m also considering an RS6 but again really for the look and exhaust. I am think of getting a Taycan 4S CT which I do also think looks amazing But any thoughts between the two would be appreciated.

thanks In advance
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this has been hashed alot
summary/tldr: yeah you lose the exhaust but after living with a good EV most people find the trade off acceptable - a low center of gravity, fueling at home, no maintaince and oodles instant torque cover a world of sins…
in fact some EV refugees have come to no longer like the exhaust note - but that’s about a 50/50 split

few if any people regret going EV - the pro’s generally, but not always, outweight the cons

but even though I’m 100% on board for team-EV I still do love the sound of a good AMG exhaust note in my Taycan’s rear-view mirror…it’s a metaphore for the future and a fact in daily driving.

exhaust notes in the review mirror…seems to be the trend.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP

Gt1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1256108-anyone-get-a-taycan-and-regret-it-ice-to-ev.html

this thread has pretty good coverage of the standard discussion points that will be hashed out…

if you’re focusing on the exhaust note one my hubbly suggest you might be missing the point - but that’s a very personal perspective.
Thanks for the response and the links Daveo4ev. In an effort to keep my post short I may have omitted details. I am glad to hear that you have no regrets. I am aware of the benefits/differences of going EV, I just wanted to put some concerns to rest before I make a $150k plunge.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the response and the links Daveo4ev. In an effort to keep my post short I may have omitted details. I am glad to hear that you have no regrets. I am aware of the benefits/differences of going EV, I just wanted to put some concerns to rest before I make a $150k plunge.
100% understand - a lot a lot a lot of people have made the swap - and the Taycan is good enough to challenge and overcome some historically expectations -but yeah the exhaust note factor is something that will probably never fully be addressed and I 100% understand some level of regret in that space - the other postive factors however tend to temper one‘s grief.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/...n-and-regret-it-ice-to-ev-2.html#post17509396
No. In fact, I'm finding it harder and harder to go back to ICE vehicles after driving the Taycan. The instant throttle response is something you really get used to - just push on the go-pedal and the car responds in proportion to the pedal travel. With an ICE car, you have 'gear lag' which comes about whenever you need to downshift. Push the pedal a little and all the car does is make noise, then you've got to floor it and a while later the car responds. That is a very difficult thing to overlook in my book.
I think @umwolverien (@Vim Schrotnock ?? - sorry if it’s not you) is on this forum - but I seem to remember after 6 months with his Taycan he no longer lusts for his other super cars - which was a very very surprising result for this particluar individual - I know it’s someone on this forum (that’s a fact) I just forget who - EV’s really really ruin you for all but the best gas cars and then you come to discover most gas cars aren’t that good and it’s really really hard to find one that holds a candle to a good EV drivetrain

as I said most don’t want to go back - and it’s not just me saying that.

about the only gas car I can stand anymore is a V8 turbo or my GT3 or old school stuff with character - vitually anything else lowend midtier and entry luxury/peformance jsut can’t hold a candle to even a $45k Model 3 much less a Taycan - everything else just infruiates me - including the BMW M5 sport and M4’s, M2 I drove at thermal a few weeks ago - just really really not that great once you get used to EV land.

and if you divide it into recreational vs. daily driver - EV’s as daily driver win universally hands down - even my GT3 sucks for daily driving - it’s just tooo angry - but holds it’s own as a weekender - but increasingly ICE vehicles just can’t compete once you‘ve gone EV - mid-range BMW 4 series or Merc C/E class? - seriously ROFL - I’d take the Model 3 any day.

Last edited:

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and have appreciated everyone’s insight on all of the other posts.

I have a couple of questions regarding everyone’s experience with the Taycan as I am hoping to place my order soon.

1) I currently drive a current model M5 and tbh, I never drive it to its capabilities but I do appreciate a good handling car. Furthermore I think much of my satisfaction comes from just hearing the exhaust note. Have any of you who have come from an ICE car felt the sport sound at least replaced some of this feeling? Any regrets?

2)I’ve Always wanted a Porsche and like the idea of going electric but still a bit uncertain. I’m also considering an RS6 but again really for the look and exhaust. I am think of getting a Taycan 4S CT which I do also think looks amazing But any thoughts between the two would be appreciated.

thanks In advance
Welcome to the forum.

In my case, I'm coming from both a Tesla Model S and a 1997 Porsche 911 (air-cooled). As I've written in earlier posts, it's as if my Tesla and my 911 had wild, passionate unprotected sex one hot winter night in my garage, resulting 9 months later (because that's how long it took to arrive) in the delivery of my Taycan 4S.

The car is, in a word, fantastic! Quick as a jackrabbit on steroids, nimble as a jaguar on the Serengetti, the Taycan will definitely fulfill and scratch your sports car lust big time.

The fit and finish are second to none and the design is superlative.

As far as your auditory needs are concerned, I believe the Taycan delivers in spades. You can option the Sports Sound for $500 if you desire a Star Wars Millenium Falcon type sound effect, but frankly, I find the Sports Sound annoying and have turned it off. The native, natural sounds of the Taycan are more pronounced than they were in my Tesla and sound fantastic and futuristic without popping an extra 5 bills for some artificial MP3 file.

As far as transitioning from an ICE car to an electric car like the Taycan, my feeling is that you'll have a bit of a learning curve to overcome. Right now, you're completely used to finding gas stations almost at will and without much thought. Driving an electric car like the Taycan requires a different mindset if you take frequent road trips. This most accurate analogy I can make is that it's like flying a small airplane, and that requires some planning in advance to successfully go from point A to point B without fuel exhaustion or range anxiety. The Taycan, and many apps, make this a breeze and I don't believe it's a huge hurdle to overcome. It's just something you have to get used to and plan for.

As for around town, it's again actually much better than an ICE car because unless you live in a gas station, you're going to fill up every now and then. Most Taycan owners (and EV owners in general) charge at home. It's incredibly inexpensive to do so and totally convenient. Just think of it as your laptop or iPhone--you plug it in when you get home, it's as simple as that, and in the morning, you hit the road without having to deal with janky gas pumps and carcinogenic fumes.

Finally, there is the maintenance and in a word, there really is none to speak of. No tune-ups, no oil changes, no belts to replace, no transmission fluids to flush. The Taycan is quite literally nearly maintenance-free. Porsche doesn't even recommend a brake job until you hit 60000 miles, because the recuperation is incredibly effective at slowing the car. Unless you drive like a crazed maniac who watched back-to-back Fast and Furious films for 8 hours and you're all hyped up, your Taycan will basically cost you nearly nothing in maintenance, unlike your BMW which I'll wager sets you back a minimum $1000 every time you drop by the dealer for some work.

My only criticism of the Taycan lies in its software. Again, there's a bit of a learning curve that comes with that and some of it is downright confusing. In the two weeks, I've had my car, I'm slowly becoming master of my domain and getting used to the eccentricities of the Taycan’s software and I'm actually beginning to appreciate it on some level.

When you're ready to order your Taycan, post the build on the forum to get some feedback from everyone on what's necessary and what's over-the-top. I learned a ton about the car from these guys and it's truly a resource to cherish.

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

thanks In advance
have you test driven one ? If you can get the dealer to give you like an hour in it, it may significantly help clarify your search.

overall they handle exceptionally well. They are heavy, and you can feel the weight if you push really hard. Like probably unsafe for streets hard. If you dial it back, it masks its weight in a way that's hard to believe and does feel very much like a 911 at like 6/10s.

Coming from an M5 which is not as heavy but still pretty heavy for a sports car, and you say you don't push too too hard, I think you'd be really pleased with the Taycan's handling. Probably. It's a very personal decision.

There's also nothing wrong with taking a little detour and trying a Cayman or 911 for a couple years. It's a different experience, and if you haven't yet, a fun one. Taste the rainbow.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag

thanks In advance
May I suggest you take a trip to Bowmanville Ontario to PEC Canada and test drive a 911 and a Taycan on the track and other skill courses if possible. Or when the border opens fly down to the LA PEC which may be closer/easier to get to. Worth the cost to experience both models to make a decision.
Best of luck.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought a Model S 4 years ago and it hasn’t even entered my head to change back to an ICE car. I now have a Taycan on order. I actually like the stealth acceleration and the max torque from standing.

My wife has an ICE SUV, I’m not quite ready to give it up until we have more charging infrastructure and we can get a full charge in 10 mins or less. If I have a road trip of more than 200 miles one way and I want to make good time, I sometimes rent an ICE car or borrow my wife’s.

The thing people often forget is that on a daily basis, an EV is more convenient than an ICE. You can plug in and charge at home, no need to line up at Costco or drive to a gas station to fill up. So overall you waste less time on filling up than you do with an EV. Long road trips are the only exception.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

Gt1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
have you test driven one ? If you can get the dealer to give you like an hour in it, it may significantly help clarify your search.

overall they handle exceptionally well. They are heavy, and you can feel the weight if you push really hard. Like probably unsafe for streets hard. If you dial it back, it masks its weight in a way that's hard to believe and does feel very much like a 911 at like 6/10s.

Coming from an M5 which is not as heavy but still pretty heavy for a sports car, and you say you don't push too too hard, I think you'd be really pleased with the Taycan's handling. Probably. It's a very personal decision.

There's also nothing wrong with taking a little detour and trying a Cayman or 911 for a couple years. It's a different experience, and if you haven't yet, a fun one. Taste the rainbow.

Thanks Charlie. I honestly haven’t driven one, I had a poor experience test driving a cayenne last year. I couldn’t believe how pretentious the sales people are. However, I have driven and older base model cayman years ago and it left quite the impression. I also spent well over 100 hours (sadly, or is this normal?) reading and watching every publication. In the end, I’m certain the Taycan handles much better than anything I’ve every driven. In the end I understand we’re all privileged enough to be discussing this.

With regards to the 911 and Cayman, I would have considered if I didn’t have two younger kids. I need a four or five seater.

OP
OP

Gt1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

In my case, I'm coming from both a Tesla Model S and a 1997 Porsche 911 (air-cooled). As I've written in earlier posts, it's as if my Tesla and my 911 had wild, passionate unprotected sex one hot winter night in my garage, resulting 9 months later (because that's how long it took to arrive) in the delivery of my Taycan 4S.

The car is, in a word, fantastic! Quick as a jackrabbit on steroids, nimble as a jaguar on the Serengetti, the Taycan will definitely fulfill and scratch your sports car lust big time.

The fit and finish are second to none and the design is superlative.

As far as your auditory needs are concerned, I believe the Taycan delivers in spades. You can option the Sports Sound for $500 if you desire a Star Wars Millenium Falcon type sound effect, but frankly, I find the Sports Sound annoying and have turned it off. The native, natural sounds of the Taycan are more pronounced than they were in my Tesla and sound fantastic and futuristic without popping an extra 5 bills for some artificial MP3 file.

As far as transitioning from an ICE car to an electric car like the Taycan, my feeling is that you'll have a bit of a learning curve to overcome. Right now, you're completely used to finding gas stations almost at will and without much thought. Driving an electric car like the Taycan requires a different mindset if you take frequent road trips. This most accurate analogy I can make is that it's like flying a small airplane, and that requires some planning in advance to successfully go from point A to point B without fuel exhaustion or range anxiety. The Taycan, and many apps, make this a breeze and I don't believe it's a huge hurdle to overcome. It's just something you have to get used to and plan for.

As for around town, it's again actually much better than an ICE car because unless you live in a gas station, you're going to fill up every now and then. Most Taycan owners (and EV owners in general) charge at home. It's incredibly inexpensive to do so and totally convenient. Just think of it as your laptop or iPhone--you plug it in when you get home, it's as simple as that, and in the morning, you hit the road without having to deal with janky gas pumps and carcinogenic fumes.

Finally, there is the maintenance and in a word, there really is none to speak of. No tune-ups, no oil changes, no belts to replace, no transmission fluids to flush. The Taycan is quite literally nearly maintenance-free. Porsche doesn't even recommend a brake job until you hit 60000 miles, because the recuperation is incredibly effective at slowing the car. Unless you drive like a crazed maniac who watched back-to-back Fast and Furious films for 8 hours and you're all hyped up, your Taycan will basically cost you nearly nothing in maintenance, unlike your BMW which I'll wager sets you back a minimum $1000 every time you drop by the dealer for some work.

My only criticism of the Taycan lies in its software. Again, there's a bit of a learning curve that comes with that and some of it is downright confusing. In the two weeks, I've had my car, I'm slowly becoming master of my domain and getting used to the eccentricities of the Taycan’s software and I'm actually beginning to appreciate it on some level.

When you're ready to order your Taycan, post the build on the forum to get some feedback from everyone on what's necessary and what's over-the-top. I learned a ton about the car from these guys and it's truly a resource to cherish.
Thanks Torv. I’m always impressed by people’s willingness to respond with such a detailed responses. It’s nice to hear your thoughts regarding city driving. Many peoples concern regarding range is really a non issue for me as I do almost exclusively city driving other than shortish trips to whistler or Seattle. I’m hoping in the real world that instant acceleration from stop lights alone will be a difference that I’ll appreciate daily.

My next post will have to be about colour. Dolomite, Ice Grey, or black/volcano??? I actually saw a Neptune blue in the shade today and it looked amazing but I’m worried it’s be a bit too flashy. I don’t remember car shopping being this complicated when I bought my first Acura integra. ?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
In most markets, it does not matter what you like you will soon only be able to buy an EV... So you like a stinker, buy one, might be your last chance...

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Charlie. I honestly haven’t driven one, I had a poor experience test driving a cayenne last year. I couldn’t believe how pretentious the sales people are. However, I have driven and older base model cayman years ago and it left quite the impression. I also spent well over 100 hours (sadly, or is this normal?) reading and watching every publication. In the end, I’m certain the Taycan handles much better than anything I’ve every driven. In the end I understand we’re all privileged enough to be discussing this.

With regards to the 911 and Cayman, I would have considered if I didn’t have two younger kids. I need a four or five seater.
the dealer franchises are definitely a weak part of Porsche’s brand. Can’t say Tesla has a bad idea selling direct. Some of the Porsche sales associates are great (well, for car salesmen) and some are pretty awful. It’s hit or miss. If you can find someone local to make a recommendation or introduction it would probably help.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
I don't understand why people always ask other people if they like your car. You have to try it out yourself and form your own opinion and not transfer responsibility to others. Feel free to ask about individual features, but please take a test drive.
Personally, I didn't want to get into my Panamera again after the test drive. Just the feeling of getting some energy back every time you brake was a good feeling.
Sponsored

Last edited: