old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Article in todays papers (autoexpress, autocar, insideevs, driving electric etc), anybody confirm this. Have checked my VIN on Porsche website no recall showing yet.

Porsche recalls its £70,000 Taycan electric sports car over sudden power loss that happens without warning

Some 43,000 Taycan models are affected - some 4,500 of them are in the UK
The software issue only impacts cars built before June 2021, Porsche says
While there is a sudden loss of drive, users will still be able to operate the steering and brakes to safely bring the vehicle to a standstill
Turning the car off and on again resets the issue to allow drivers to continue journeys - Porsche dealers will be conducted the one-hour recalls at dealers

Luxury vehicle manufacturer Porsche has issued a recall for thousands of its electric Taycan sports cars over faulty software that can cause the £70,000 EV to suddenly shut down, it said on Friday.
The recall affects all Taycan vehicles produced and delivered before June, bosses have confirmed, adding the cars would receive a software update to fix the issue.
A glitch in the electronics can cause a sudden loss of power and a dashboard warning urging the driver to find a safe place to stop.

Around 4,500 cars in the UK are estimated to be affected and require a recall.

While there's a complete loss of power, drivers can still steer and brake the expensive electric vehicle to a halt.

Porsche says that once the vehicle is safely stopped, turned off and restarted, it will operate normally again - but has issued a recall for the 43,000 models produced before the start of last month.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
43000 cars.
That means all cars if I'm looking at the production numbers from 12-19 to 6-21.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
It’s logical that all cars are affected.
afterall, it’s the same software&hardware.
(i’m also wondering if e-trons are safe, it’s the same platform.)

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had this very issue on Friday. Never happened before nor since. Symptoms. On acceleration it seemed to happen when the second gear on the rear motor kicked in, the power loss was about 50/60 % then it tried to regain the power but the delivery was very very slow. This happened many times during the stretch of road I was on (nowhere to pull over safely) I found a safe place to stop eventually, turned off then back on and all was back to normal.
My car was due into the dealer for the software update from a few weeks ago on the Monday. I mentioned this issue to them and checked with them yesterday that they had carried out the update.
They confirmed that all outstanding recalls had been done and some including drive train recalls so he said they believe it’s been done. Honestly. I’m not convinced. Time will tell.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had this very issue on Friday. Never happened before nor since. Symptoms. On acceleration it seemed to happen when the second gear on the rear motor kicked in, the power loss was about 50/60 % then it tried to regain the power but the delivery was very very slow. This happened many times during the stretch of road I was on (nowhere to pull over safely) I found a safe place to stop eventually, turned off then back on and all was back to normal.
My car was due into the dealer for the software update from a few weeks ago on the Monday. I mentioned this issue to them and checked with them yesterday that they had carried out the update.
They confirmed that all outstanding recalls had been done and some including drive train recalls so he said they believe it’s been done. Honestly. I’m not convinced. Time will tell.
The issue you describe is not the power loss issue covered by the recall. The issue recalled is a total loss of all automotive power. Due to the software but the computer shuts off all power to motors, the car stalls completely and it displays an error message.
The partial loss of power you describe is something else.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I think this thread and others include inaccurate info as to the group of affected vehicles.

Go to the report linked below, look up which of the twelve Vehicle numbers matches your car's year and model, then check the production date range that is affected for that one.

For example: I own a 2021 Taycan Turbo that was produced in February 2021, so it's a Vehicle 5, that is not affected because the affected production dates end on December 16, 2020 (corroborating this, my VIN is outside the affected VIN range).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V486-3851.P

Also, check out the top of the report: "Number of potentially involved : 10,373", not 43,000.

One last observation about affected vehicles, it appears that the faulty items were used in the Turbo trim much less than others (?).

Last edited:

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think this thread and others include inaccurate info as to the group of affected vehicles.

Go to the report linked below, look up which of the twelve Vehicle numbers matches your car's year and model, then check the production date range that is affected for that one.

For example: I own a 2021 Taycan Turbo that was produced in February 2021, so it's a Vehicle 5, that is not affected because the affected production dates end on December 16, 2020 (corroborating this, my VIN is outside the affected VIN range).
If you read further up the document, you'll read: "MY2020 and MY2021 Porsche Taycan vehicles with pre-update software are affected and will be recalled". So if you got the "big" update before a certain date(which?), or this update isn't the latest version(which? and how to check?), your car will be recalled.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V486-3851.P

Also, check out the top of the report: "Number of potentially involved : 10,373", not 43,000.
I think this is the number of Taycans sold in the USA versus worldwide.

One last observation about affected vehicles, it appears that the faulty items were used in the Turbo trim much less than others (?).
How did you determine this?

Matutu

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just so everyone knows, my April 2021 car has just been recalled.

I only knew by going onto the website based "My Porsche" it then had a notice that I needed to make a appointment, all done online and goes in on the 27th.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would also check with your OPC as the 'Smart Service' doesn't work well in my experience to the extent that the dealer hadn't heard of it (!!) and rely on their own booking system. I tried this previously and even though I had a confirmation of my booking the dealer did not.

I booked my Nov'20 MY21 (VIN not listed in the PDF circulating) after being prompted by My Porsche yesterday.

OP
OP
old seadog

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Article in todays papers (autoexpress, autocar, insideevs, driving electric etc), anybody confirm this. Have checked my VIN on Porsche website no recall showing yet.

Porsche recalls its £70,000 Taycan electric sports car over sudden power loss that happens without warning

Some 43,000 Taycan models are affected - some 4,500 of them are in the UK
The software issue only impacts cars built before June 2021, Porsche says
While there is a sudden loss of drive, users will still be able to operate the steering and brakes to safely bring the vehicle to a standstill
Turning the car off and on again resets the issue to allow drivers to continue journeys - Porsche dealers will be conducted the one-hour recalls at dealers

Luxury vehicle manufacturer Porsche has issued a recall for thousands of its electric Taycan sports cars over faulty software that can cause the £70,000 EV to suddenly shut down, it said on Friday.
The recall affects all Taycan vehicles produced and delivered before June, bosses have confirmed, adding the cars would receive a software update to fix the issue.
A glitch in the electronics can cause a sudden loss of power and a dashboard warning urging the driver to find a safe place to stop.

Around 4,500 cars in the UK are estimated to be affected and require a recall.

While there's a complete loss of power, drivers can still steer and brake the expensive electric vehicle to a halt.

Porsche says that once the vehicle is safely stopped, turned off and restarted, it will operate normally again - but has issued a recall for the 43,000 models produced before the start of last month.
Just checked recall section on Porsche website and recall showing as Re-Program power electronics AMB5 for my November 20 4S

OP
OP
old seadog

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
I would also check with your OPC as the 'Smart Service' doesn't work well in my experience to the extent that the dealer hadn't heard of it (!!) and rely on their own booking system. I tried this previously and even though I had a confirmation of my booking the dealer did not.

I booked my Nov'20 MY21 (VIN not listed in the PDF circulating) after being prompted by My Porsche yesterday.
Agree, booked mine in via the Smart Service for a previous recall and info/ booking never got to the dealership, despite all the confirmation emails. Definitely go direct to your dealership.
Sponsored