edouard356

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne '16; Porsche 911 GTS '19
Country flag
Some of this we probably already know, but here are few quotes to highlight from the article posted today:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28662827/2020-porsche-taycan-prototype-ride/

Porsche doesn't yet want to talk about its trim level strategy, but molded into the door sills of this one, under a piece of black tape, read Taycan 4S.”

“The Taycan has flaps in front of the radiators on each side of its nose, which, when closed, block off brake-cooling ducts to improve aerodynamics. That's another Porsche first.”

“In fact, sitting in the passenger seat, the hood appeared to plunge faster than that of the new mid-engine Corvettewe sat in recently.”

“On our ridealong, we saw a predicted 234 miles starting with a full charge“
Sponsored

Paulo

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1898 Porsche P1
Country flag
"Porsche will at this point only specify a vague, 600-plus-hp claim, but it recently updated its zero-to-60-mph acceleration figure from "under 3.5 seconds" to "under 3.0 seconds," which is frankly where it needs to be to compete in Tesla-land."

Do this guys know that the Taycan Turbo has about 150 HP less than a Tesla? Do they know that 0 to 60 mph is not the same as 0 to 100 km/h?

Well, they (and motor1, and carscoops, and etc...) only knew about the Taycan reveal about a week ago (i revealed here on the forum by just looking at a press golf release about a month ago) so, so much for specialized motoring journalists!!!!

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
"Porsche will at this point only specify a vague, 600-plus-hp claim, but it recently updated its zero-to-60-mph acceleration figure from "under 3.5 seconds" to "under 3.0 seconds," which is frankly where it needs to be to compete in Tesla-land."
"Compete in Telsa-land." What a stupid quote! I can't imagine many perspective buyers for the Taycan will go with a Tesla Model-S because it's faster 0 to 60. If it trounce a Model-S around the Nurburgring, then I could see a concern.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
"Compete in Telsa-land." What a stupid quote! I can't imagine many perspective buyers for the Taycan will go with a Tesla Model-S because it's faster 0 to 60. If it trounce a Model-S around the Nurburgring, then I could see a concern.
Only for 0 to 60...probably not, but how about if you throw in $50,000 less money, and more passenger and cargo space, and let’s not forget 370 real miles compared to 235 real miles (60% more) and Tesla has over 12,000 supercharging stations in the US compared to Porsche’s none...and things start to add up. I recognize buying a Tesla instead of a Porsche you give up exclusively, but I’ll bet the Porsche would be even more exclusive if the price was raised another 100 grand. Maybe we can hope for that next year with the turbo s. Maybe the range will be extended way up to 250 or 260 and you can consider taking that weekend getaway drive where their are no Porsche charging stations within a hundred mile radius. I have an early deposit on the Taycan, I was in love with the “E” and so so wanted the car to be great...everything a Porsche should be and yes I expected to pay a big premium price, but for that premium price, I wanted class leading range, not range of a Chevy bolt...I wanted a dream car style, I wanted charging infrastructure so I could drive it for real, more than to the coffee shop. The reality now looks like a good (not great) looking compact sedan, with good (not great) performance, with battery range and technology way behind cutting edge found on 40k economy EV’s from Hyundai or Chevrolet. I keep asking myself, how much am I willing to go along with before I’ve had enough. Maybe what I expected is unrealistic or needs 5 more years to come to pass. I don’t know.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Only for 0 to 60...probably not, but how about if you throw in $50,000 less money, and more passenger and cargo space, and let’s not forget 370 real miles compared to 235 real miles (60% more) and Tesla has over 12,000 supercharging stations in the US compared to Porsche’s none...and things start to add up. I recognize buying a Tesla instead of a Porsche you give up exclusively, but I’ll bet the Porsche would be even more exclusive if the price was raised another 100 grand. Maybe we can hope for that next year with the turbo s. Maybe the range will be extended way up to 250 or 260 and you can consider taking that weekend getaway drive where their are no Porsche charging stations within a hundred mile radius. I have an early deposit on the Taycan, I was in love with the “E” and so so wanted the car to be great...everything a Porsche should be and yes I expected to pay a big premium price, but for that premium price, I wanted class leading range, not range of a Chevy bolt...I wanted a dream car style, I wanted charging infrastructure so I could drive it for real, more than to the coffee shop. The reality now looks like a good (not great) looking compact sedan, with good (not great) performance, with battery range and technology way behind cutting edge found on 40k economy EV’s from Hyundai or Chevrolet. I keep asking myself, how much am I willing to go along with before I’ve had enough. Maybe what I expected is unrealistic or needs 5 more years to come to pass. I don’t know.
Truth. I too was an early deposit holder, based on the Mission e but am disappointed in the reality of the mules, performance and range.

Reactions: Ron

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla is clearly 3+ years ahead on battery tech, and their charging infrastructure as well as performance per dollar are world classed. If that’s what you want, then a fully spec’d Model 3 performance is far and away the best car on the market today. I’ve spent time driving them, and it’s like getting to drive a vision of the future. Test drive one, and floor it. Effing Amazing. The Model 3 has completely destroyed my future car purchasing criteria and plans.

that said, as awesome as the car is, it doesn’t handle or brake like a German sports car. I miss that. If the Taycan ends up being Porsche build quality, Model 3 speed, 911 handling and only 200mi range ... well I’m okay with that. I realize this is an expensive luxury to get something as ineffable as “handling” improvements over a Model 3. I’m basically getting carbon ceramic brakes and air suspension on a model 3 at 3x the price (yes, the high end trim will cost 3x a model 3).

this is Porsche’s v1.0. It compares extremely favorably to the original Tesla Model S, but it’s clearly behind today’s model S. It’s not for everyone. Hell, it’s a Porsche, it’s not for most people. But if it does well, I expect the technology and competition will push these types of vehicles down market for many more people in a very short number of years. Might be worth leasing a Model 3 as your bridge car until a 2024 trim...

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I'm sure Model 3 is a decent car but the interior alone scares me way off. After driving Porsches for many years there's no way I would give up the feeling of virtually sitting in a fighter cockpit with all the important instruments right in front of me.

As far as charging infrastructure goes I'm not worried at all. I live in Europe and we already have over 7000 CCS chargers and plenty more are popping up daily.

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
The newer mileage figures being leaked out for the Taycan do not work for me. Our distances here in Texas are long and for a 100k+ plus car I expect a range of at least 300 miles to be practical. I do not like the fit and finish of the Tesla brand, and all the comments on their site from disgruntled customers, so assume I will just wait until Porsche comes up with better mileage ranges. If they do improve the battery range rather quickly I wonder about the resale value of the Initial Taycan’s with less range.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I took a close look at a Tesla Model 3P a year or so back, and while I was really impressed with the acceleration off the line, I couldn't live with the quality. I also didn't drive it myself, but even the interior design felt like it was more for getting someone from A-to-B (like a Camry or Accord) rather than a rewarding driver's car. I believe that Tesla thinks it's easy to build a high quality platform to house their EV drivetrain, and I think they couldn't be further from the truth. A company with the engineering chops of Porsche (and the deep financial pockets of VWAG) could easily spend money developing the EV technology (including consulting with, and then buying 10% of, a company whose sole purpose is cost-no-object EV supercars like Rimac). The Taycan is Porsche's first entry in the EV space, and first and foremost, this will be a driver's car.

For Porsche, you are paying for the driving experience. Although some buy their vehicles as status symbols, I think the majority of poeple buy their cars because of the incredible driving experience each offer. Although the driving dynamics are different, their SUVs through the 911 GT3-RS are all cars designed to provide an incredible driving experience in each vehicle category. If someone doesn't feel the extra money they are paying for this experience is worth it, they can always buy something else.

I strongly disagree with your comment, "battery range and technology way behind cutting edge found on 40k economy EV’s from Hyundai or Chevrolet"? I'd venture to say that, technology wise, the Taycan will be one of Porsche's most technologically-advanced vehicles. This was designed by a company whose engineering department is contracted by quite a few ICE manufacturers to do engineering for them. If you honestly believe what you said here, I would say you're wasting your money buying a Porsche.

We're just a few weeks away from the unveiling of the production Taycan. Hopefully they will have vehicles available at the various dealers to allow perspective owner's to drive them and see what they think before purchase. If you don't feel the driving experience is worth the extra money, there are a number of other EV options available (and more options on the way as we go into 2021).