Taycan roof rack and accessories

Yoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ST4S
Country flag
Does anyone with a CT or ST have the Porsche Roof Transport system?
Would like to know if good and if it can take the 3 bike carriers it states on the Porsche website...
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does anyone with a CT or ST have the Porsche Roof Transport system?
Would like to know if good and if it can take the 3 bike carriers it states on the Porsche website...
Thule would be a better choice. Lower profile etc.

Yoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ST4S
Country flag
Agreed. The Thule one looks more sleek but the bars look like they will be too short to carry 3 bikes.
Which is a problem.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Agreed. The Thule one looks more sleek but the bars look like they will be too short to carry 3 bikes.
Which is a problem.
Both the OEM and the Thule system have the bars inside (or terminate at) the towers, and so the maximum span is the distance between the roof rails. I don't have 3 bikes to test mine, but can measure the length of the bars - is that what you're after?

Europe may be different, but in the US market there isn't yet a solution for the Taycan with pass-through bars, where you could get a bit more length outside of the roof footprint.

Yoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ST4S
Country flag
Both the OEM and the Thule system have the bars inside (or terminate at) the towers, and so the maximum span is the distance between the roof rails. I don't have 3 bikes to test mine, but can measure the length of the bars - is that what you're after?

Europe may be different, but in the US market there isn't yet a solution for the Taycan with pass-through bars, where you could get a bit more length outside of the roof footprint.

That would be great if you could. It looks like there would be slightly more length than Thule.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
That would be great if you could. It looks like there would be slightly more length than Thule.
The useable length of the bars of the OEM system are 85cm (front) and 75cm (rear), respectively. The top of the bar is a bit longer, but the tower extends underneath the bar quite a bit - I’d say a good 5-8cm on each side (see photo).

Having said that, I’d think 3 road bikes would fit - 2 fork-mounted at the front, and the middle one towards the rear. (My bike’s handlebar is 40cm wide.)

3 mountain bikes - no chance, especially if they’re on the burlier side, you’d probably exceed the 75lb load rating (and the roof bars seem to be on the soft side, +glass roof).

Have a look through past threads here - the CT has the built-in channels for mounting a rear platform-type carrier. Porsche sells one for a few grand, and @basiclywilly has a great design for much less (and I think he’s taking orders for another run now).
Porsche Taycan Taycan roof rack and accessories DE4D483C-884C-4890-9279-E31E0D973642

Yoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ST4S
Country flag
The useable length of the bars of the OEM system are 85cm (front) and 75cm (rear), respectively. The top of the bar is a bit longer, but the tower extends underneath the bar quite a bit - I’d say a good 5-8cm on each side (see photo).

Having said that, I’d think 3 road bikes would fit - 2 fork-mounted at the front, and the middle one towards the rear. (My bike’s handlebar is 40cm wide.)

3 mountain bikes - no chance, especially if they’re on the burlier side, you’d probably exceed the 75lb load rating (and the roof bars seem to be on the soft side, +glass roof).

Have a look through past threads here - the CT has the built-in channels for mounting a rear platform-type carrier. Porsche sells one for a few grand, and @basiclywilly has a great design for much less (and I think he’s taking orders for another run now).
DE4D483C-884C-4890-9279-E31E0D973642.jpeg
Thanks that is very helpful. I'll try to measure out to see how snug fit will be (or not).
Rear platform requires option for adapters that I have not ticked in UK. Otherwise that would be best route. Thanks again for your help.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks that is very helpful. I'll try to measure out to see how snug fit will be (or not).
Rear platform requires option for adapters that I have not ticked in UK. Otherwise that would be best route. Thanks again for your help.
Yeah you'll need the rear cycle carrier preparation so that you can attach the world's most expensive cycle carrier!

Some folk ordered the carrier and waited many months to receive it and long after their cars were delivered.

Very short sighted of Porsche to not incorporate this as std on ST and CT variants as I doubt it can be retro fitted.

I have it on my GTS ST but no
plans to use it.

There is apparently a patent out for Porsche to offer a tow bar - another oversight deliberate or not.

All of these appendages will hammer range and so perhaps this is the excuse

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did get the Porsche rails and 520L box over a year ago, but never took it out until today. I have a standard journey of about 160 miles reasonably flat. A week ago about the same time of day. I got 355Wh/mi and today with roof box I got 420Wh/mi so an 18% hit on range. Speed was fairly uniform 78mph on each trip. I have toned it down for science. :cool:

Anyone ele have efficiency data with a box?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
I assume that anyone posting on this site will not be riding a cheap bike.
Happy to be told differently by someone who has real world experience; but why would I put a £5k or £10k bike behind my Taycan and allow those enormous back tyres to throw road grime and dirt up on it?
If I can’t get my bike inside my Taycan, it goes on the roof.
Sponsored