Taycan RWD base build spec + options help UK

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Hey all,

I've been going through relevant threads, and this community has been super insightful to get me thinking about the best build specification for my needs.

I have a build slot for May, so need to finalise the build spec mid-April.

Due to the business benefits of running an electric car from the UK government, I've decided to get an entry-level Porsche Taycan. I plan to keep the car after 3 years, so I'm exploring the best financing deal PCP or BCH. PCP financially makes sense, as I can sell the car, or use the equity to get another car; however, this remains to be decided.

My needs:
  1. Driving this car around town (London, UK), occasionally on the motorway (100+ miles roundtrips) and B-roads
  2. Parking the Taycan at home could be difficult
  3. Porsche driving experience
  4. Sell the car after 3 years

Parking is my biggest issue. I have to get through an extremely narrow and tight right turn to get to the back of my home to park. Using an Audi A5 coupé, it takes a couple of manoeuvres to make the turn. Once I can get a test drive, I'll see if the Taycan can fit.

If I can park the car at the back in my garage, I will get a charge point installed. Do I need to get additional cables for charging at home?

I need help to figure the best options for the build with a £10,000 budget, with a desirable package to sell in 3 years time.

Here's my current configuration: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM45TVB9

Must-have options, based on my needs:
  1. Standard black £0
  2. 19-inch Taycan S Aero wheels £809
  3. Electric folding exterior mirrors £210
  4. Performance Battery Plus £4,049 (for extended range)
  5. Adaptive Air Suspension + PASM £1,527 (prerequisite for rear-axle steering)
  6. Rear-Axle Steering + PSP £1,650 (to better navigate the right turn to park)
  7. Panoramic fixed glass roof £1,137
  8. Park Assist including Reversing Camera £480
  9. 4 + 1 seats £336
Total £80,888, which includes £10,198 of options.

Desirable options, if any of the above isn't necessary:
  1. Metallic (black metallic, frozen blue metallic), or Special colour (crayon)
  2. Model designation painted depending on body colour £168 (black, if body colour is frozen blue or crayon)
  3. Sport Chrono Package £788
  4. Rear light strip Porsche logo in black £506 (blackout the rear light bar)
  5. Driver memory package £257
  6. Bose surround system £956
  7. Electric charging port cover £443
  8. Onboard DC Charger £294
Any help is appreciated. I'm looking forward to your thoughts and challenges.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
20" wheels would.be more desirable

Sport Chrono - not expected on a base car and looks cheap - personal choice but you really won't miss it.

Rear axle steer may not solve your problem in the way that you think. Ideal if you could try before you buy. Car is 5m long - same as a Panamera - could try that for size if you can't get access to a Taycan. Good option to have but budget impacting.

Taycan is wider than a Panamera so if your entry is tight then that could be an issue.

Surround parking a must (not the 3D option).

Air suspension is a must.

PSP if you decide not to go rear axle steering is a must.

Pano roof a must.

Extended leather is preferred.

Bose sound.

Forget the black lettered rear light strip - looks too dark especially on a black car.

150 kW 400v DC charging is a no brainer for the future.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Thanks for the response.

I just went to the showroom, and saw the Taycans parked up outside in the forecourt: it is a big car. Hopefully, I can get a test drive to check the fit.

I thought the Sport Chrono enables Sport Plus and Individual drivings modes, as the base car only comes with Range and Sport mode:
  • GT multifunction sports steering wheel including mode switch for selecting driving modes Range, Normal, Sport, Sport Plus and Individual
  • Analogue and digital stopwatch
  • Sport Plus mode with performance-oriented tuning of chassis, Porsche Active Aerodynamics and temperature control of the performance battery
  • Individual mode for individual configuration of the settings for driving mode, chassis, chassis-level and Porsche Electric Sport Sound (note: settings options depend on the equipment)
  • PSM Sport mode
If it doesn't, then yes, Sport Chrono can be cut.

Forget the black lettered rear light strip - looks too dark especially on a black car.
I agree, the white lettering styling is much better in real life.

150 kW 400v DC charging is a no brainer for the future.
Does anyone know what the 22kW on-board AC charger is for, and if I need this?

After seeing the Taycan on the forecourt, my preferred body colours in order:
  1. Crayon
  2. White metallic
  3. Ice grey metallic
  4. Black or jet black
Still need to see the frozen blue metallic.

Porsche Taycan Taycan RWD base build spec + options help UK Taycan Black
Porsche Taycan Taycan RWD base build spec + options help UK Taycan Crayon
Porsche Taycan Taycan RWD base build spec + options help UK Taycan Ice Carrara White Metallic
Porsche Taycan Taycan RWD base build spec + options help UK Taycan Ice Grey Metallic

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You do not need the 22kW AC charger option. Use DC wherever available for faster charging, standard 11kW AC onboard charger for home use and public if you can't get to a DC charger.

Sport Chrono gives Sport Plus and Individual mode.

Base model and 4S don't have Chrono as STD but you get Sport Mode (includes launch control) and Sport Plus adjustment for the PASM (shock absorbers). You aren't missing much therefore and will rarely if ever use sports plus (really for the track).

STD lettering is chrome.not white.

It's not an expensive option but spend your money elsewhere as you'll derive more daily pleasure and benefit.

Chalk is a fashion that people will tire of....but each to their own.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Regarding the 400V DC charging option, you'll want that so that the car is able to charge quickly at 150kw charging stations (which are way more common than 350kw charging stations). Without it, the Taycan will actually charge more slowly on these stations than other EVs such as the Audi etron.

I wonder if the performance battery is worth it for you considering most of your driving will be local. And since the larger battery adds weight, it doesn't increase range by as much as you think it would. Personally, I'd rather spend the money on some comfort/convenience items such as the Bose stereo, 14 ways seats, etc.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
You do not need the 22kW AC charger option. Use DC wherever available for faster charging, standard 11kW AC onboard charger for home use and public if you can't get to a DC charger.

Sport Chrono gives Sport Plus and Individual mode.

Base model and 4S don't have Chrono as STD but you get Sport Mode (includes launch control) and Sport Plus adjustment for the PASM (shock absorbers). You aren't missing much therefore and will rarely if ever use sports plus (really for the track).
Great, thank you. I'll get the DC charger. I presume I will need extra cables for home charging.

I wonder if the performance battery is worth it for you considering most of your driving will be local. And since the larger battery adds weight, it doesn't increase range by as much as you think it would. Personally, I'd rather spend the money on some comfort/convenience items such as the Bose stereo, 14 ways seats, etc.
I'd like to take the car for some longer road trips in the summer, COVID-permitting of course.

Entry-level model can do 293.3 miles with the larger battery in optimum conditions, but the manufacturer range is:
  1. Standard battery 193 miles
  2. Performance battery 225 miles (293 miles at 70mph in optimal conditions, see video below)

Good shout, I'll consider the battery. How many miles do you get in the real world with the standard battery?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Don't skrimp and get the Performance Battery Plus.

Range is ambient conditions sensitive. In UK at this time of year 220 - 230 miles max. Perhaps in 25C temps we might get some of these headline range figures (in range mode).

Charger cones with all cables to connect to your outlet - just make sure you have a 32A outlet (get an electrician to do this for you).

The Porsche range calculator on the web site is pretty accurate so have a play with that.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Rear axle steer may not solve your problem in the way that you think. Ideal if you could try before you buy. Car is 5m long - same as a Panamera - could try that for size if you can't get access to a Taycan. Good option to have but budget impacting.
Does the rear axle steering help the reduce the turning circle at low speeds in the real world? Regardless, the width and length of the Taycan makes it a tight fit into my alley way.

Extended leather is preferred.
I'd love to get the extended leather, but it'll blow my budget, as it starts from £2,538. I'll try to negotiate a deal with the dealership or salesman ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Good luck as you won't get a deal!

RAS - the wheels turn a few degrees. It helps but more to do with high speed stability. Hard to judge if it would help with your predicament.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
You should get the bigger battery if at all possible.

If price is an issue I would forego the pano roof and get some nicer wheels. The metal roof looks better anyway. The 19in wheels look a bit odd to me.

I understand the standard non metallic paint scratches quite easily compared to metallic, no personal experience though. Surround view for parking is a great help. The Bose stereo is excellent. You probably want the black door sill guards.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMKMH9W0

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Thanks for the suggested build.

If price is an issue I would forego the pano roof and get some nicer wheels.
Up my budget to get better body paint and wheels over the panoramic roof, or go aftermarket on the wheels (non-purist).

Surround view for parking is a great help.
What has your experience been with surround view parking?

You probably want the black door sill guards.
Great for the stealth aesthetic, but maybe I use that budget on the wheels or paint first.

RAS - the wheels turn a few degrees. It helps but more to do with high speed stability. Hard to judge if it would help with your predicament.
If the rear axle steering doesn't make much of difference at low speed, then the budget is best allocated for something else, but retain the power steering plus.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Thanks for the suggested build.

Up my budget to get better body paint and wheels over the panoramic roof, or go aftermarket on the wheels (non-purist).

What has your experience been with surround view parking?

Great for the stealth aesthetic, but maybe I use that budget on the wheels or paint first.

If the rear axle steering doesn't make much of difference at low speed, then the budget is best allocated for something else, but retain the power steering plus.
The rear axle steering works great at low speeds. I’ve heard it tales a couple of feet off the turning radius making it feel like a shorter car.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Technician says turning radius is reduced from 11.2 meters to 10.4 meters. 0.8 meters or 2’ 7.5”

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
The rear axle steering works great at low speeds. I’ve heard it tales a couple of feet off the turning radius making it feel like a shorter car.
I have heard similar, but I won't know until I can get a test drive with RAS Taycan.

I can park the Audi A5 coupé with a couple turning manoeuvres in the rear alleyway, but it's 33.4cm shorter in length, and 12.4cm narrower in width than the Taycan.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This looks tight to say the least. RAS shorter turning circles are one thing but you aren’t performing a U-turn.

I have RAS and still not experienced a significant impact when parking. Don’t get me wrong as it helps but it is not how you may be imagining it. The type of manoeuvre you are describing would be a good test but margins are slim I’d say.
Sponsored