W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Air & PASM is std on 4S as detailed in the spec sheet - you maybe missed it?

Chassis
Aluminium double wishbone front axle​
Aluminium multi-link rear axle​
Porsche Stability Management (PSM) vehicle stability system with ABS and extended brake functions​
Integrated Porsche 4D chassis control​
Adaptive Air Suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Power steering​
Tyre pressure monitoring (TPM)​
Sponsored

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I already accounted for the Air Suspension + PASM in the calculations as included in the cost of the 4S, I just couldn't find the entry or missed it. Thanks for the confirmation ?

It was a good exercise to see the real cost between the RWD and 4S. I would still need to pump in an extra £10k, on top of the base price, to get the 4S where I need it to be, and I'm not even going ham with the options ?

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Well yeah it's more expensive for equivalent spec, but pretty clearly you get a more capable car. But I thought the dilemma was between a loaded RWD and a 4S with fewer options. I know where my money would go.

Opinions clearly differ, but if you are keeping to a budget I really don't think the glass roof is essential. You can put that £ into upgrading from "ambulance white" paint :)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMAYHZ43

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Well yeah it's more expensive for equivalent spec, but pretty clearly you get a more capable car. But I thought the dilemma was between a loaded RWD and a 4S with fewer options. I know where my money would go.

Opinions clearly differ, but if you are keeping to a budget I really don't think the glass roof is essential. You can put that £ into upgrading from "ambulance white" paint :)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMAYHZ43
Does that mean you would go for the 4S over a RWD build at £81,368?

I don't think I have over-specified the RWD, but let me know if I have. I've tried to stay frugal with must-have options.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I asked my dealer if I should spend the extra money (just over £2,000) to jump from my RWD build to a base 4S (and possibly add a few options), and they said to stick with the RWD for the better driving experience. I was left confused, as I thought they would recommend the 4S.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The dealer is clueless. 4S is hard to source due to base Taycan and Cross Turismo which are being allocated now. That might have something to do with the "advice".

Taycan is good but not as good as a 4S. Significantly slower off the mark and lacks the benefit of 4 wheel drive.

Depends what you want in a car at the end of the day.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I asked my dealer if I should spend the extra money (just over £2,000) to jump from my RWD build to a base 4S (and possibly add a few options), and they said to stick with the RWD for the better driving experience. I was left confused, as I thought they would recommend the 4S.
Seems strange advice. The 4S is an incredible drive, 4 wheel drive has got to be better than 2 wheel drive for ‘better driving experience’.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Sourcing the 4S and build slots could be the issue. Still, a somewhat strange advice.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan is good but not as good as a 4S. Significantly slower off the mark and lacks the benefit of 4 wheel drive.
This is subjective.

Unless you drive in an area that gets a lot of rain and snow, there are also disadvantages to AWD.

Many people (including some Lead Engineers at Porsche) prefer the lightest model with minimal specs. Personally speaking, handling and driving dynamics is more important than 0-60mph acceleration. The 200 lbs. saved in the RWD (mostly in the front end) does make a difference.

In other words, both the RWD and 4S models are amazing and it simply depends on priorities.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
This is subjective.

Unless you drive in an area that gets a lot of rain and snow, there are also disadvantages to AWD.

Many people (including some Lead Engineers at Porsche) prefer the lightest model with minimal specs. Personally speaking, handling and driving dynamics is more important than 0-60mph acceleration. The 200 lbs. saved in the RWD (mostly in the front end) does make a difference.

In other words, both the RWD and 4S models are amazing and it simply depends on priorities.
Do you enjoy the handling and driving dynamics of the RWD?

I've originally gone for the RWD based on these videos:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nothing more subjective than a magazine or You Tuber video!

These folk don't live with a car they just play around and move on to the next.

I'm pretty sure that if given the choice they would not take the entry level model. This is a 2 tonne car however you cut it and so power and 4WD become important to retain the Porsche high performance expectations.

This is all about shifting metal, maintaing interest and keeping the factories busy with many flavours of the same thing and broadening appeal.

Start with a Taycan and move up the range next time around to a 4S or higher. It's clever.

Look across the Porsche range and you'll notice that apart from the Boxster 4WD dominates all models.....why would that be?

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
You have a point, when it comes to living with the RWD or 4S. I've created a separate thread to get feedback on living with the RWD. Many 4S drivers have had time to live with their Taycan, and absolutely love it.

I'm not comparing the RWD to the 4S on performance. RWD is an entry-level model, with a single motor; however, is the RWD a good entry-level experience for someone who wants a Porsche first, whilst also being an electric vehicle?

Perhaps you've driven the RWD, and feel like it doesn't stack up to the 4S?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As your first venture into the world of Porsche motoring (and in support of green credentials) the base Taycan is a fine entry point - no question. In fact, it will be an awesome place to start if EV is a must have.

There are several cheaper alternatives (Audi e-Tron / GT) for example but if your heart says Porsche you absolutely won’t be disappointed nor will you bring any prejudicial pre-conceived ideas.

This car is for you and hopefully you’ll stay with the brand and sample other offerings in the future.

Budget is key (I understand that) and pleasure comes next.

Punch it!
Sponsored