Taycan RWD on 21''

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Probably stupid question but this morning I picked up one of my 21'' wheels (in storage as anticipation for the car arrival) and I can't stop wondering about the sheer size and weight of those things. Especially the back ones. 21''x11.5j with 305/30 are MASSIVE.

I'm sure that's peanuts for the 4S and upward trims but what about the poor man's RWD? Ok ok, on paper mine will have 476HP in launch mode but I really wouldn't like to have to use it just to get the car in motion 🤣

Any RWD owner out there on 21''? Especially one who came from 19''? Can you notice a big negative difference in nimbleness? I've read that with the air suspension, the comfort shouldn't deteriorate too much but haven't read anything about dragging those lead feet around.

Thank you
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Probably stupid question but this morning I picked up one of my 21'' wheels (in storage as anticipation for the car arrival) and I can't stop wondering about the sheer size and weight of those things. Especially the back ones. 21''x11.5j with 305/30 are MASSIVE.

I'm sure that's peanuts for the 4S and upward trims but what about the poor man's RWD? Ok ok, on paper mine will have 476HP in launch mode but I really wouldn't like to have to use it just to get the car in motion 🤣

Any RWD owner out there on 21''? Especially one who came from 19''? Can you notice a big negative difference in nimbleness? I've read that with the air suspension, the comfort shouldn't deteriorate too much but haven't read anything about dragging those lead feet around.

Thank you
It wouldn't be an option if it wasn't appropriate.

Plenty of RWDs around with Mission E's for example.

Most folk go 20" at a minimum - mainly for cosmetics as there is too much rubber on display otherwise.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am pretty sure with 476 bhp the car will be grip limited at the initial stage of launch, My Ferrari 355 has no driver aids and can’t take full throttle in first gear and it has 380 bhp.
That means it is likely the RWD on 21” wheels will launch substantially faster than on standard 19”.

Other than that they are just a lot of extra drag.

All the 21” designs have higher drag than 20s or 19s, partly because the tyre is so much wider but also because the styling of the wheel looks like it has taken precedence over aero in most of the 21” designs.
The 21” exclusive design wheels don’t look too awful from an aero pov but the Mission E, 21” Cross Turismo and 21” spider designs are styling exercises not aero studies!

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I went from 20" Aero to 21" RS Spyder
- ride is harder (which I like)
- corners are more fun (less bounce, more rails)
- Launch control, gained 0.1sec
- consumption, went from 22kWh/100KM to 24.5kWh/100KM

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

To be honest, it's more about that huge width (305) than weight (albeit wheels weight way more than I ever assumed). The width makes them look almost like cylinders.

I'm glad it apparently isn't a real issue.

Personally I'm not fan of high profile tires because of the associated roll in tight corners. I'm also not a fan of kerbing the rims so it balances out 😁

That means it is likely the RWD on 21” wheels will launch substantially faster than on standard 19”.
This is super interesting. you mean due to the added grip allowing for more torque being applied to the wheels? I never looked at it that way. Was worried about the added drag / weight

I can live with all that 😁 I still plan on assuming a snob attitude of "I'm too good to race with you" in case a model 3 appears at a stop light. Don't want to give Porsche a bad rep 🤣

It wouldn't be an option if it wasn't appropriate.

Plenty of RWDs around with Mission E's for example.

Most folk go 20" at a minimum - mainly for cosmetics as there is too much rubber on display otherwise.
Totally agree. I didn't spec any from factory as only the mission E somewhat appealed to me but not the attached PCCB price. So it was aftermarket from start. I did make sure of all important aspects as load index, tüv certified and same dimensions as OEM

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
You'll get him after 80km/h Model 3 then gives in and you'll gloriously pass and see him far behind in your rear mirror. If you do launch control he can't beat you.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You'll get him after 80km/h Model 3 then gives in and you'll gloriously pass and see him far behind in your rear mirror. If you do launch control he can't beat you.
I'm not testing my luck 😂

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

To be honest, it's more about that huge width (305) than weight (albeit wheels weight way more than I ever assumed). The width makes them look almost like cylinders.

I'm glad it apparently isn't a real issue.

Personally I'm not fan of high profile tires because of the associated roll in tight corners. I'm also not a fan of kerbing the rims so it balances out 😁

This is super interesting. you mean due to the added grip allowing for more torque being applied to the wheels? I never looked at it that way. Was worried about the added drag / weight

I can live with all that 😁 I still plan on assuming a snob attitude of "I'm too good to race with you" in case a model 3 appears at a stop light. Don't want to give Porsche a bad rep 🤣

Totally agree. I didn't spec any from factory as only the mission E somewhat appealed to me but not the attached PCCB price. So it was aftermarket from start. I did make sure of all important aspects as load index, tüv certified and same dimensions as OEM
RS Spyders - 21" - no requirement for upgraded brakes.

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
That is a serious increase in consumption. Did not expect that

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
RS Spyders - 21" - no requirement for upgraded brakes.
Yeah but I didn't like them particularly at locking time (I did had them selected several times during my initial journey)

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
This post sums things up perfectly.
I also went from 20s to 21s
4S to GTS
The ONLY thing that is better, MUCH better, with 21s is the LOOKS.

Everything else is worse, no different or imperceptible.
1/ Ride is harder, yes, I don’t like it. In Sport plus and low suspension if you run over a coin you can tell if it’s head or tails.
2/ Corners more fun maybe but that is outside my driving ability. The 20s on Michelins are sublime to any mere mortal. (You don’t even need RAS or PDCC but that is another subject!)
3/ Launch is pretty much the same and I don’t use it.
4/ 21 Pirelli’s are even more expensive than 20 Michelins and wear twice as fast. The 21 wheels kerb and scratch much easier and the consumption goes through the roof. 50 miles less range in summer.

20 (and 19) optimised for efficiency, aero and range.
21 is about the looks.

Still like my RS Spyders…..

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This post sums things up perfectly.
I also went from 20s to 21s
4S to GTS
The ONLY thing that is better, MUCH better, with 21s is the LOOKS.

Everything else is worse, no different or imperceptible.
1/ Ride is harder, yes, I don’t like it. In Sport plus and low suspension if you run over a coin you can tell if it’s head or tails.

4/ 21 Pirelli’s are even more expensive than 20 Michelins and wear twice as fast. The 21 wheels kerb and scratch much easier and the consumption goes through the roof. 50 miles less range in summer.
You’re surprised that the car is super firm in Sport Plus and Full Lowered Suspension? You know that there’s an easy way to avoid that right? The Taycan on 21s is a sublime ride quality in anything but that super firm setting.

And 50 miles? No. Porsche’s own range estimator indicates a 5-6% loss of range going from 19 or 20’s to 21’s. So unless you’re routinely getting 1,000 miles on a charge, the loss in range is nowhere near 50 miles.
Sponsored