abubu1988

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981S
Country flag
First time poster so please excuse the essay!

I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience regarding RWD vs. 4S Taycans and any perspective on the current used market with the context of how long it is currently taking for new orders.

I'm torn between the RWD and the 4S, as I expect many are, but for those that opted for RWD - do you ever feel that you've left some performance on the table by not getting the 4S?

I've reserved a highly optioned RWD (perf battery, sport chrono, pano roof, 21-inch taycan exclusive design wheels, PDLS+ and much more) with an OPC, it's close to my perfect spec (although doesn't have air suspension), but will cost me c£5k more vs. a new perfect spec RWD and only £3k less than a new 4S. I'm fairly confident in the long term residuals and I perceive the RWD I've reserved to be good "value" in the current market.

Obviously, there's a really long wait for new models (12+ months) so I can accept some premium but as I'll be giving up my beloved 981S in the process I want to make sure it's the right decision.

Any perspective/experience would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
If you have found a near perfect used RWD at a sensible premium I'd be inclined to grab it. You can always put down a £5k deposit on a new one and decide later if you want to take it.
I ordered a 4S CT from PRG Reading in June and they got me an allocation by 2nd July with a theoretical delivery in November.... hopefully with a battery, Bose and a good roof thrown in 🤣

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
It is very personal.
I have a RWD without air suspension.
I had faster cars before. I had cars with air suspension before.
But for me the RWD Taycan is enough power. And the suspension is just fine without the possibility to adjust the height.
Personally I wouldn't add too much options to the vehicle. It is already very expensive for what you get. And it doesn't get better with tons of overpriced options.

If you never drove an EV: note that 0-100 times of an EV are faster in practice than 0-100 times of an ICE car. It is much easier and common to go full throttle with an EV.

But you will find many people that agree with that and many people that disagree with that.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Very happy with my RWD. Sold my 911S Cabriolet to pay for my Taycan and the only part of it that I miss is the convertible.

A faster car is a faster car. A faster car costs more. The main benefit is you catch up to traffic faster (and possibly get more tickets). That's not a benefit I need.

I could have afforded the more expensive model but chose to plow more $ into performance related options like PB battery, RAS (which requires air suspension), etc.

There is an argument that the residual value on a 4S will retain a higher percentage of original cost than the RWD. I don't know if that's been proven but its a reasonable expectation. So there's that, if you are looking for an excuse to spend more for the car than is necessary.

Let us know what you decide and good luck. You'll be happy either way.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
I went from a high spec RWD (showroom car) to a 4S. The RWD was never wanting for power in real life on real roads.

The only advantage that I can feel , and that I wanted, was better traction in the wet....and possibly snow in the future. I'm in Scotland.

Both cars had the main items the same....PB+ , 21" exclusive design wheels, air suspension.
Hope thar helps

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
First time poster so please excuse the essay!

I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience regarding RWD vs. 4S Taycans and any perspective on the current used market with the context of how long it is currently taking for new orders.

I'm torn between the RWD and the 4S, as I expect many are, but for those that opted for RWD - do you ever feel that you've left some performance on the table by not getting the 4S?

I've reserved a highly optioned RWD (perf battery, sport chrono, pano roof, 21-inch taycan exclusive design wheels, PDLS+ and much more) with an OPC, it's close to my perfect spec (although doesn't have air suspension), but will cost me c£5k more vs. a new perfect spec RWD and only £3k less than a new 4S. I'm fairly confident in the long term residuals and I perceive the RWD I've reserved to be good "value" in the current market.

Obviously, there's a really long wait for new models (12+ months) so I can accept some premium but as I'll be giving up my beloved 981S in the process I want to make sure it's the right decision.

Any perspective/experience would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
If budget permits the 4S all day long.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Tough choice, I know UK waiting times are way worse than US waiting times, so understand the temptation to get something now

Re: 4S vs RWD, I decided RWD was fine for me, but my Taycan is pretty much going to serve only daily duties. I have another car for recreation, so raw speed wasn’t as much of a consideration. Being electric, the daily usability of the power is going to be much faster than comparable ICE cars, so I felt the RWD was more than sufficient. To get the max possible accel out of ICE cars, you need to be in the right gear, which takes time to downshift to. Or from a stop you’ll need to activate launch control which isn’t realistic in the real world

That said, if I didn’t have a weekend car, I probably would’ve considered something like the GTS, since I’d want the extra power every once and a while purely for the enjoyment of it

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Do you need 4WD for traction - as per the poster above in Scotland?

If not, its worth remembering that although you lose some performance, the RWD is lighter and reportedly has the best steering feel in the range.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Get the RWD now but put a deposit on a new one… with some luck you should get a decent residual price on it when you trade it in In 15 Months or so!

WarryBhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S, BMW IX3
Country flag
Get the RWD and put deposit on 4S. You have your car NOW instead of playing the painstaking waiting game...
When your allocation comes the dealership will probably happily take your RWD back in to put it on the lot for another lucky guy who wants his car now...
RWD to 4S is a good evolution. Going back from 4S to RWD would potentially disappoint you regarding performance.

But in the end... It's your choice ;)

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
This is a frequent topic on this forum and as I’ve said before it depends on your personal finances, how the vehicle will be used, and your reference point regarding lifestyle/prior vehicles. I grew up solid middle class, saved for 5 years to buy my dream car, previously had a Golf GTI, and I absolutely love my modestly spec’d (PB+ and air suspension) daily driver 22 RWD.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
i was between a less options 4s or a loaded RWD, but for me answer was simple, i am in miami, no mountains, no snow, no need for 4wd so saved the $ and ordered an specd's RWD.

produced but sitting in a parking lot in germany, not sure if waiting for 12 volt batt or a ship, delivery was Aug, then Sep, Then Oct, now Nov............

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
saved the $ and ordered an specd's RWD.
Not sure you're really saving much money when you factor in how much the extras lose in value at trade / sale, in the future.
A low specced 4S will retain more value than a high specced RWD. Something to consider.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Not sure you're really saving much money when you factor in how much the extras lose in value at trade / sale, in the future.
A low specced 4S will retain more value than a high specced RWD. Something to consider.
adding basics to a 4S that for me are a must will take me too high on the build.

so i went with my RWD
Sponsored