Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
Just watched this and feel better about my last minute move changing up from the RWD to the 4S. In my case, the car will be dual use between my wife and I, and the RWD would have been absolutely fine for her scooting about town, but I’m sure I would have regretted not stepping up to the 4S since the RWD appears to be missing just a bit too much torque from the low end.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
He calls out the motors as 600 amp and 300 amp, but everything I’ve read says the inverters are what’s 600 and 300 amps.

I haven’t seen any technical data on the actual motors, other than they’re PM and some torque curves.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
He also says to go to your dealer for e-mobility help...

...good luck with that.

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
He calls out the motors as 600 amp and 300 amp, but everything I’ve read says the inverters are what’s 600 and 300 amps.

I haven’t seen any technical data on the actual motors, other than they’re PM and some torque curves.
I too have looked for detailed motor specs and haven’t found any yet.

As corrections go, he states that the 4S and the Turbo share the same rear motor, but have a different front motor.

The 4S actually shares the same front motor as both the Turbo and Turbo S, however the Turbo S rocks a 600A inverter while the 4S and Turbo get a 300A inverter.

The performance difference between the 4S and the Turbo appears to come from the rear motor where Porsche employed a ~40% shorter rotor in the 4S (and supposedly the RWD) vs the Turbo models.

Now considering the fact that the Turbo S extracts some 450 hp and 450 lb. ft. of torque from its rear motor alone, I’m suspicious that the RWD employs the same motor (similar HP anyways) but is artificially detuned. If the RWD included that same configuration, say in a future GTS model as others have suggested here, I probably would have kept the RWD with the increased fun factor the extra torque would bring.

Source on the 4S motor:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ycan-4s-to-the-electric-family-300937427.html

LuigiF1

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S 981, Taycan Ordered 6/4 Delivery.
Country flag
Agree with above RWD will be Fun for day to day.

Video Review is uninformative. 4S is 100 more hp its faster and costs $23k more. Turbo is even better...Shocker!!!

Video: RWD Underpowered 469hp?? Slower for what driving on country roads nobody are on?? Great. Drag racing Mustangs at stoplights? Real life in a town or city with police. I would love the RWD with performance battery + and all performance options.

Always love faster but if in a real world city, daily driver, and highway driving with traffic (no track) turbo & 4s extra power unuseable 95%of the time. Agree steering is great any Taycan for me coming from 991.2 & 992. I loved.appreciated Taycan handling more. But real world..I'm Always stuck behind an old lady in a prius going 20mph on a cloverleaf. Any Taycan I think will have enough to get by them on straight. haha.

Steering on any Taycan is unbelievable at both high and low speed especially using all performance options - battery+ rear axle, Chrono, PTV+.

Get what you like and look forward to every morning for next 3-6 yrs? If you feel its worth it and love to spend on Mission E with forced PSCB get it. Not buying this car as an investment. I want to enjoy the drive and look. I'm know I'm not going to get my money back on high priced options. Just want to have fun driving everyday. If you can use it, get a 4S or track a Turbo (S)

Simple Get what you want/afford I'm sure you will love it.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For starters, it's really disappointing to see this titled "RWD vs 4S" with a drag race in the thumbnail, but no drag race in the actual video. The reviewer automatically loses credibility for that clickbait.

Second, nearly every other reviewer has said there is noticeable difference with the weight reduction and lack of motor weighing down the front in the RWD model. One reviewer said the RWD Taycan has, by far, the best steering and feels the most like a 911.

My theory is that this reviewer didn't drive it aggressively enough or swing it into the corners enough to feel the difference.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
When he reviews the RWD first, he refers to it as sluggish. That’s only because he has driven Turbo and Turbo S. If he were driving RWD after driving only ICE cars, he would have felt it was quick. THEN, he would have been even MORE impressed with 4S, Turbo, and finally, Turbo S.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When he reviews the RWD first, he refers to it as sluggish. That’s only because he has driven Turbo and Turbo S. If he were driving RWD after driving only ICE cars, he would have felt it was quick. THEN, he would have been even MORE impressed with 4S, Turbo, and finally, Turbo S.
5+ seconds 0-60 is sluggish for even an ICE these days, especially at that price point. That's 5+ seconds 0-60 with overboost from launch control, otherwise it's even slower.

It's sub 400 HP and the torque numbers are VERY low (263 to 479 in the 4S). That's why the RWD feels sluggish, you're losing 200 lb-ft of torque. That's a MASSIVE drop and why reviewers mention it doesn't pull that hard even while moving.

10.3 pounds body weight per lb-ft torque in the 4S vs 18 in the RWD. Yikes!
Sponsored

Last edited: