tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Prompted by this thread, I decided to take a look at how Porsche Taycan was doing in my country. All new car sales status in our country is available on https://stats.beepbeep.ie – which is run by the industry body that represents dealers here.

Ireland is a small country with one Porsche dealer that – typical of many smaller EU nations – has high sales taxes on new cars. Porsche's by definition are a rare car here.

There has been 95 Taycan's sold so far in Ireland. For Porsche's in Ireland that is rocket ship numbers ?.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Sales Numbers in Ireland Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 07.56.41

To put that number in perspective – my previous car was a Panamera Turbo S. How many of those did they sell? They sold six of those over ten (yes a decade) years. There has been five 911's sold this year – which is a spectacular number.

Though 95 Taycan's over two years might sound tiny – compared to normal Porsche volumes its an absolute winner.

One advantage of being from a small country (and an island) is that almost any configuration you pick will be rare! The chances someone else will pick my combination of Neptune Blue and Blackberry interior is very unlikely. Its almost like the regular colours are PTS here :)
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Amazing that Porsche think it worthwhile to have a dealership both north and south of the border. Ouf of interest, what are the government taxes on top of the typical retail price? If someone purchased in UK what are the costs to 'import' or how long can you escape the Excise Man before being caught / forced to register the car in Ireland?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Amazing that Porsche think it worthwhile to have a dealership both north and south of the border
Dublin used to be a branch off of Porsche GB – but since brexit car's can't get routed in and out of the EU without incurring serious costs so Dublin is now aligned with Porsche AG and imports directly from Germany without routing via UK.

Ouf of interest, what are the government taxes on top of the typical retail price?
In Ireland the retail price incorporates the VAT (sales tax) and Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT). Both are paid on a new car before it can leave the dealer and be sold to its first owner. Technically the VRT is paid to get the plates on the car.

Sales/VAT on cars is 23% and then the VRT is a sliding scale depending on the CO2 emissions of the car. For a 911 (anything over 190g/km) it would be 37%. So the cost of a 911 in Ireland is 60% tax. And remember that is on every option you tick too. Choose folding mirrors – price is 60% tax!

An EV attracts the lowest VRT rate at 7% – so you can see why a Taycan is popular or at least more "affordable". The total purchase tax on a Taycan is therefore 30%.

Additionally, annual road tax is calculated on CO2 emissions - with a 911 costing €2400/year to be allowed on the road and a EV/Taycan being only €120/year.

All these costs are going up between 1% and 4% in 2022 as part of our coutries alignment with the Paris Agreement.

If someone purchased in UK what are the costs to 'import' or how long can you escape the Excise Man before being caught / forced to register the car in Ireland?
You have to make an appointment to pay the costs within 7 days of import and have it completed within 30 days and you will get stopped if police notice you on the wrong plates.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
Tell that to the politicians – they think there is plenty of room for expanding them.
i read that and it’s eye watering!

I mean I just came back from fuelling my cayenne with v-power at £1.65/L and I felt ripped off but 60%!!!

is it cheaper to buy a horse and go old school ?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Over the air subscriptions have an interesting tax aspect too. If you were to spec Innodrive when buying the car – it would attract sales (VAT) + registration (VRT) tax.

However, if you were to subscribe to it after receiving the car, you'd only pay sales (VAT) tax as there would be no "new car" registration aspect to it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Dublin used to be a branch off of Porsche GB – but since brexit car's can't get routed in and out of the EU without incurring serious costs so Dublin is now aligned with Porsche AG and imports directly from Germany without routing via UK.

In Ireland the retail price incorporates the VAT (sales tax) and Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT). Both are paid on a new car before it can leave the dealer and be sold to its first owner. Technically the VRT is paid to get the plates on the car.

Sales/VAT on cars is 23% and then the VRT is a sliding scale depending on the CO2 emissions of the car. For a 911 (anything over 190g/km) it would be 37%. So the cost of a 911 in Ireland is 60% tax. And remember that is on every option you tick too. Choose folding mirrors – price is 60% tax!

An EV attracts the lowest VRT rate at 7% – so you can see why a Taycan is popular or at least more "affordable". The total purchase tax on a Taycan is therefore 30%.

Additionally, annual road tax is calculated on CO2 emissions - with a 911 costing €2400/year to be allowed on the road and a EV/Taycan being only €120/year.

All these costs are going up between 1% and 4% in 2022 as part of our coutries alignment with the Paris Agreement.

You have to make an appointment to pay the costs within 7 days of import and have it completed within 30 days and you will get stopped if police notice you on the wrong plates.
Blimey, that sounds horrendous!

Many thanks for the detailed response and insight.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It would be interesting to see how much servicing is over there?

With UK servicing seemingly a rip off compared to other EU countries (other thread) and the suggestion of a trip away paying for itself to get cheaper servicing - a ferry from Holyhead and a couple of days in Ireland would have been lovely. Combined with a road trip!

However, based on those purchase price figures, I wouldn't be surprised if servicing isn't even more expensive than the UK.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would be interesting to see how much servicing is over there?

With UK servicing seemingly a rip off compared to other EU countries (other thread) and the suggestion of a trip away paying for itself to get cheaper servicing - a ferry from Holyhead and a couple of days in Ireland would have been lovely. Combined with a road trip!

However, based on those purchase price figures, I wouldn't be surprised if servicing isn't even more expensive than the UK.
I asked – its €300 for first service – around STG£253.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag