Taycan seems to win 1st position regardless of good or bad

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
After finding that article on topgear that placed the taycan as the best EV to have, I just came across this article (phone suggested it... Google Assistant is scary)

https://www.hotcars.com/luxury-electric-cars-bankrupt-maintenance-repairs

Not sure this was already posted. I apologise if it has.

Unfortunately seems our beloved taycan made it to #1 there too.
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Minor point- their figures don't add up- according to the breakdown of the Model X costs, it beats the Taycan to #1- $8,646 maintenance cost and $6,109 repair cost = $14,755.

Major point- their repair costs don't seem to be based on the cost of repairs-
  • Repairs — because repair records vary so widely, we base repair costs on an extended 5 - year service warranty with $0 deductible.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This all seems pretty bogus. The car has only been around for 3 years, so any maintenance/warranty company at best is basing its pricing on historical cost of repairs for other Porsche ICE models...

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have ceramic brakes on my 997s for 18 years now. Are the least expensive brakes i've ever had maintenance wise.
Not to mention the regen limits the need to replace the brakes with the same frequency as your 997.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I got clickbaited into that article too last week and it really irritated me. Not that I have any experience in maintaining an EV or a Porsche yet, but where are the sources of his information?? Especially for the Taycan. Some of his numbers come from a 5 year True Cost to Own from Edmunds, which includes all sorts of high estimates of ownership.

I filed it under sour grapes clickbait and didn't send it along to my husband. Probably wouldn't have anyway hah.

perstxx

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan turbo , 2021 Opel Corsa-e
Country flag
Luckily the author of this ............ is married and a father :)

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 BMW228ix, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
I saw this article also. My anecdotal out of pocket repair costs over 16000 miles and 20 months are zero dollars. I don't know where he came up with these numbers.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I saw this article also. My anecdotal out of pocket repair costs over 16000 miles and 20 months are zero dollars. I don't know where he came up with these numbers.
Thank you for sharing and please confirm that the first service is 2 years or 20K miles. That is the reason Taycan does not have complimentary 1 year or 10K miles as ICE models do.

I wonder if someone can share a link or copy of the maintenance journal for Taycan to verify services required. I keep track of my Cayenne services with 1 year was no cost, 2 year was $1K, and 3 year was $2K with all services itemized.

I understand that the 2 year service for Taycan is similar in the fact that it consists of list of checks, 2 year brake fluid flush and cabin filter replacement that can easily be done as DIY, and may be summer tire replacement since they are rated for about 20K miles. However, the dealer needs to make up their revenue numbers so they charge $1k for the 2 year service as some shared.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Total drivel. Basically made up numbers that they didn't even bother to proof read. No idea how my Taycan will work out maintenance and repair wise but over 3.5 years and 26,500 miles my Tesla Model S has cost me a pair of wiper blades. In fairness all recommended service I handled myself - cleaning and lubing the brake assemblies. Tires still have 1/2 the tread remaining. Hum, a pair of wipe blades translates to $11,000 R&M. Must be massive repairs on the way to make it to their number in the next year and a half.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Bingo! I’ve got the top two in the list.

Knock, knock….oh honey it’s the bailiffs again 🤣

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So here's my real world repair experience.

2021 Taycan base from June 2021 to November 2022
Put 28,500 miles on it

June 16, 2022: Put 4 Michelin PS4S tires on for $2068.46
June 16, 2022: 20K service $200.95 (supplied my own oem pollen filter and wiper blades, skipped brake flush unless needed which it wasn't.)
Jan 22, 2022: Replace rear Conti tires $1024.36

Grand total of $3293.77. So, almost all tires.

The sooner you can get PS4S on there the slower that tire spend will be; they last great.
Sponsored