Taycan software update - reported problems post update

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My PCM no longer remembers the screen it was on when I turn off the car and it defaults to the main screen every time I start the car. That bug did not exist before the update.
In 2 days after the update I had two PCM freeze issues and this bug.

The intermittent slow map load, parkassist and comfort access quirks are not fixed.

So far the only improvement I have noticed that is the Hold brake releases more smoothly when you press accelerator pedal. PCM might be a bit more responsive but it might just be placebo.

Disclaimer: I have an Android phone so no wireless carplay for me and I don't need smartlift so I do not benefit from these important new features. If you need either of these two features you will probably be happier with the update than me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My car is perfectly fine after the update.
On internet you only read about problems cuz people like to share that and/or need a solution.
Perfectly normal imho.
But I can understand your concern.
How many issues are reported, really? (5?).
On how many cars? (25.000+).
My car's got better and love it.
There's a ton of improvements on the many many modules but they're not that visible.
I'm sure you'll run to your dealer when your 12V battery is dead...
Totally agree with you, that most people will have no problem with the update!

But then my car works perfectly at the moment. I also don't feel the rush since none of the new features interest me besides plug n charge with the PMCC with PIN enabled. Considering that I only charge every 3 weeks, no rush either.
You're missing the point.
What would an owner do when he has a problem?
Indeed, go on the internet (like you said, cuz dealers don't know it all).
So it's more likely that problems occur on internet, this could lead to overreaction to one or a few problems during the update.
There are no real problems yet, only PCM's that crash or sequential updates that fail.
In the end it'll be solved, I don't see a problem.

I'm not assuming, I'm trying to explain why it looks like there are "so much" problems.
I'm not assuming, I'm trying to put things in perspective, that why I said that I understand the concerns.
I'm just here to tell my car is perfectly fine to downsize the concerns.
The more positive comments, the more faith about the update.
But then again, Porsche will deliver or at least do their best to get things done, it's their main concern at the moment (according to my dealer).
Over time, when the cars come in for service, they will almost all get the update anyway, right?

I'm happy people report problems. Helps me to understand the car better and also helps me to make better on the spot decision when discussing my Taycan with the dealer.

I am very interested to get the update, but I can also wait when it is convenient for me, since my car so far works great!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Can’t understand how Porsche have released software/hardware that is so hard to update. No update should take days to install - if it does and even if it works first time it is very bad design.
I don't think it is their intention, after all, this all is money out of their bottom line.

The other problem is the general global shortage of chips, the whole car industry is suffering from.

Cinbow

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan has been at the dealership for over a week now. Supposedly the update takes 10 hours and they can only do 2 a day. What TH is going on?!

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan has been at the dealership for over a week now. Supposedly the update takes 10 hours and they can only do 2 a day. What TH is going on?!
Is yours a white one with Sport Design fascia and Mission E wheels? If so, I saw it at Porsche Austin on Thursday 4/8. My 2020 Taycan 4S received its software update successfully (waited 2 days, took another 2 days for the update.) But I heard the car after mine (the white one) was not waking up from its update. :(

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Here is my experience:
  • News on Passenger Screen is gone. Icon is there in center, but it doesn’t seem to work. (Not that it really worked before the update.)
  • No Dynamic Lighting Option. However, I don’t know if I ever had Dynamic Lighting. It isn’t there now.
Otherwise, the update was great. Not sure I even care that much about the above.
OK, I just discovered that Dynamic Lighting is not where I was originally told it would be. It is in the Media section when you press the “...” in the lower right corner. So I do indeed have the Dynamic Lighting! So scratch that one off.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OK, I just discovered that Dynamic Lighting is not where I was originally told it would be. It is in the Media section when you press the “...” in the lower right corner. So I do indeed have the Dynamic Lighting! So scratch that one off.
Media section?

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update IMG_20210404_122237938

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
My 2020 was updated yesterday. Took day and a half. Apparently broke the clock, which needs to come from Germany. Otherwise things seem to work fine. PCCM remembered my settings.

Discovered ambient colored lighting, which maybe I had before—don’t know. Love wireless Apple Carplay.

PS, my car was in “Private” mode when I picked it up.

Cinbow

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is yours a white one with Sport Design fascia and Mission E wheels? If so, I saw it at Porsche Austin on Thursday 4/8. My 2020 Taycan 4S received its software update successfully (waited 2 days, took another 2 days for the update.) But I heard the car after mine (the white one) was not waking up from its update. :(

Cinbow

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmmm no mine is black on black. Well that is concerning! It’s been 10 days since I took it in. Yes to the new Austin dealership. I just want my car back. :crying:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One more new bug after the update. While driving and without using navigation to any destination a warning popped up about a traffic alert 24 miles away!!! Totally random and it has never happened before.

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update 20210410_162020

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Got my 2020 4S back a couple days ago and all appears to be working well. All the promised updates are there and working. Only nitpick issue I have with it is that the Sirius XM favorites screen doesnt work like it used to (I know there are other, potentially better streaming options than Sirius...). It used to display what was currently playing on each favorited station, so I could read in a glance and choose what I wanted to listen to. Now it just displays the channel name and description. What a stupid option to take away...

Tim_G

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S Diesel
Country flag
One more new bug after the update. While driving and without using navigation to any destination a warning popped up about a traffic alert 24 miles away!!! Totally random and it has never happened before.

20210410_162020.jpg
This isn’t a bug. It’s a safety feature.
I had a similar warning during a test drive with a MY21 4S

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This isn’t a bug. It’s a safety feature.
I had a similar warning during a test drive with a MY21 4S
Safety feature? That was 24 miles (39km) away from where I was. It is even a differently county. And I was neither driving towards that direction nor had a destination in my navigation in that area.
I have never seen a warning being so off in any other car or phone navigation app.

The only safety issue is in this case was the useless warning itself forcing me to read it and figure out what it is while driving.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Safety feature? That was 24 miles (39km) away from where I was. It is even a differently county. And I was neither driving towards that direction nor had a destination in my navigation in that area.
I have never seen a warning being so off in any other car or phone navigation app.

The only safety issue is in this case was the useless warning itself forcing me to read it and figure out what it is while driving.
Every Audi, VW and Porsche navigation system I have had (since 2002, 12 cars) has had this traffic alert feature and I would get traffic notifications of wrong way vehicles hundreds of mile from my current location.

I would turn off the traffic notifications because they were not of real use to me. Perhaps they may not have been active by default you Taycan before and with the new update they are active by default now.

I'm not sure if you have the "good to know" app, but it is an interactive online manual for your car you can refer to.

The "good to know" app states the traffic notifications are the responsibility of the broadcasting companies and Porsche cannot assume responsibility of the completeness or accuracy.

Perhaps with the new software update, Porsche has changed the broadcasting company? That may also be an explanation of why they began coming up in now, when they have not in the past.

Either way, it is absolutely not a bug or issue.
Sponsored