First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance; TS on order
Country flag
Afternoon chaps

Probably less interesting for those who already have a Taycan but for those with cars on order (including me) this might be interesting.

First things first, some context. I currently drive a M3P having also had an i-Pace and before that, an M5. I've had some issues with the Tesla, mainly around driver involvement (or lack of), interior design (seats are poor for a performance car, generally bland), and handling (feels "floaty" at speed).

So Sheffield Porsche (Elise) was kind enough to arrange a 24 hour test drive for me and I picked it up on Saturday. I'd had a brief, 30 mins or so, test drive which wasn't enough to feel any connection with the car and I was left initially feeling a bit disappointed although I was sat in traffic for quite some time.

I was concerned that another EV wouldn't address my primary concern I had which was the absence of driver involvement. I'm pleased to say that this is 100% not the case now, my thoughts are:

1. The electric sound (love it or hate it) really adds to the involvement. I love the noise on a launch, love the way it burbles outside, its just great.

2. Launching the car is so much better than in the Tesla. They are roughly the same up to 80mph in terms of speed but the way each car does it is very different. In particular, the change of gear from 1st to 2nd feels so much more mechanical and involving than merely stamping your foot down and watching the speed increase. Combined with the sound and it felt so much more satisfying.

3. The handling is very confidence inspiring. I've read the M3P handles well, mine doesn't inspire me with any confidence, it seems to skip around corners, the traction/stability control kicks in for reasons I can't fathom, and at speed it just feels dangerous unless its a perfectly straight road, it's just not enjoyable. Contrast that with the Porsche which left me looking for corners to go round at speed (safely and within the speed limit of course...coughs) because it just handled so well. Really enjoyed this aspect, it brought fun back to driving which I'd otherwise lost.

4. Re-learning how to brake was fun. For those who have got used to one-pedal driving, you change how and when you apply the brake pedal, if indeed you need to. I didn't realise just how much this simple activity connected me with with the car. I'm now very much on the side of the way Porsche have done it over how Tesla and most other manufacturers have implemented regen.

5. The interior and seats in particular are in a different league to the Tesla. It so much more of an interesting place to be sat. The quality is excellent from the buttons for the windows to the door handles, its just great and makes you feel you are in something special.

I also had an opportunity to experience the 360 degree camera and the HUD. I must say the rear view camera is totally unusable. It's like you've been to a festival and spent too much time taking illegal substances. The 360 degree part was ok, but the camera needs sorting out. The HUD however which I'd written off as I something I doubt I'd need, I actually enjoyed. I had one on my M5 and liked that but I'd assumed given I no longer need to see a rev counter than it would have less use. In fact, seeing the satNav was a bonus (shame it doesn't work for Android Auto) and its surprising the time difference to check your speed between the HUD and the dashboard as with the latter my eyes at least, needed time to refocus.

One final thing, as I regretfully got back in to the Tesla, I couldn't help feeling I'd just been in a proper car and I was now in what I can best describe as a toy. I'm now eagerly awaiting delivery some time I hope in 2023.

I've attached a few pictures of the car as its just such a lovely thing to look at.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Sport Turismo GTS 24 hour test drive, some thoughts... WhatsApp Image 2022-09-11 at 14.36.41

Porsche Taycan Taycan Sport Turismo GTS 24 hour test drive, some thoughts... WhatsApp Image 2022-09-11 at 14.36.33

Porsche Taycan Taycan Sport Turismo GTS 24 hour test drive, some thoughts... WhatsApp Image 2022-09-11 at 14.36.28

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag
great write up, and lovely looking car but that colour just doesn't do it for me.

Out of curiosity, have you spec'd the bike carrier pre-install kit on your ST? I haven't but seriously reconsidering but only concern is impact on my (already closed) freeze date.

Spec envy is a dangerous thing 😉

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Been driving a M3P for 3 years before having my sedan 4S one month ago (been driving 911, cayenne, BMW before so we have roughly the same background)

I can confirm that everything that you experienced for the last 24 hours is what you will get.

On top of this there s few things that I've learned switching from M3P to Taycan:
  1. range: the highway range is really better than the MP3 and the prediction is trustable.
  2. 360 camera: the rear view is... almost useless. However, on the left you can select other views and it includes front and rears wheels. It helps a lot in parking slot to avoid damaging the wheels (and the Taycan is very wide)
  3. I don't know if you have speced rear wheel steering but if you do the Taycan will feel smaller in tight environnement than the Model 3P. It's really a must have.
  4. HUD: like you i didn't really like HUD usually but this one is good. If you plan to use Innodrive (or ALK) it's actually convienent to have the HUD because it shows when the system is on or off (which is not obvious as there's less "warnings" than Tesla)
  5. Innodrive/ALK: i just use it when doing long highway trip as it is quite boring. Coming from Tesla it's not as good (obviously) but once you figure out the limitations it's ok. The Tesla is driving you and you are here to help it a bit, you are driving the Taycan and it helps you a bit.
  6. Confort access: ok this point goes to Tesla. Comfort access is a bit Meh and you will need to adapt a little otherwise you ll leave you car open a few times (happened to me)
A final word, it's worth the wait :cool:

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
Afternoon chaps

Probably less interesting for those who already have a Taycan but for those with cars on order (including me) this might be interesting.

First things first, some context. I currently drive a M3P having also had an i-Pace and before that, an M5. I've had some issues with the Tesla, mainly around driver involvement (or lack of), interior design (seats are poor for a performance car, generally bland), and handling (feels "floaty" at speed).

So Sheffield Porsche (Elise) was kind enough to arrange a 24 hour test drive for me and I picked it up on Saturday. I'd had a brief, 30 mins or so, test drive which wasn't enough to feel any connection with the car and I was left initially feeling a bit disappointed although I was sat in traffic for quite some time.

I was concerned that another EV wouldn't address my primary concern I had which was the absence of driver involvement. I'm pleased to say that this is 100% not the case now, my thoughts are:

1. The electric sound (love it or hate it) really adds to the involvement. I love the noise on a launch, love the way it burbles outside, its just great.

2. Launching the car is so much better than in the Tesla. They are roughly the same up to 80mph in terms of speed but the way each car does it is very different. In particular, the change of gear from 1st to 2nd feels so much more mechanical and involving than merely stamping your foot down and watching the speed increase. Combined with the sound and it felt so much more satisfying.

3. The handling is very confidence inspiring. I've read the M3P handles well, mine doesn't inspire me with any confidence, it seems to skip around corners, the traction/stability control kicks in for reasons I can't fathom, and at speed it just feels dangerous unless its a perfectly straight road, it's just not enjoyable. Contrast that with the Porsche which left me looking for corners to go round at speed (safely and within the speed limit of course...coughs) because it just handled so well. Really enjoyed this aspect, it brought fun back to driving which I'd otherwise lost.

4. Re-learning how to brake was fun. For those who have got used to one-pedal driving, you change how and when you apply the brake pedal, if indeed you need to. I didn't realise just how much this simple activity connected me with with the car. I'm now very much on the side of the way Porsche have done it over how Tesla and most other manufacturers have implemented regen.

5. The interior and seats in particular are in a different league to the Tesla. It so much more of an interesting place to be sat. The quality is excellent from the buttons for the windows to the door handles, its just great and makes you feel you are in something special.

I also had an opportunity to experience the 360 degree camera and the HUD. I must say the rear view camera is totally unusable. It's like you've been to a festival and spent too much time taking illegal substances. The 360 degree part was ok, but the camera needs sorting out. The HUD however which I'd written off as I something I doubt I'd need, I actually enjoyed. I had one on my M5 and liked that but I'd assumed given I no longer need to see a rev counter than it would have less use. In fact, seeing the satNav was a bonus (shame it doesn't work for Android Auto) and its surprising the time difference to check your speed between the HUD and the dashboard as with the latter my eyes at least, needed time to refocus.

One final thing, as I regretfully got back in to the Tesla, I couldn't help feeling I'd just been in a proper car and I was now in what I can best describe as a toy. I'm now eagerly awaiting delivery some time I hope in 2023.

I've attached a few pictures of the car as its just such a lovely thing to look at.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-11 at 14.36.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-11 at 14.36.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-11 at 14.36.28.jpeg
I had that same car in may m it was advertised not long ago at stupid over list

Porsche Taycan Taycan Sport Turismo GTS 24 hour test drive, some thoughts... 4328D65E-B9CB-4BDE-A77D-A4272CE0B089

OP
OP
sbarker108

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
great write up, and lovely looking car but that colour just doesn't do it for me.

Out of curiosity, have you spec'd the bike carrier pre-install kit on your ST? I haven't but seriously reconsidering but only concern is impact on my (already closed) freeze date.

Spec envy is a dangerous thing 😉
I've not spec'd that, just added a few minor things like black handles, ambient lighting, and probably now a HUD.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Im currently a M3P owner, I find it decent for a 50k$ car, it’s obviously not a Porsche. I enjoyed reading your post. I’m looking forward to the delivery of my GTS in December. The only thing I think I’ll really miss is autopilot for long drives - I couldn’t justify the cost of innodrive and I’m not really looking forward to having a key again.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
sbarker108 said:
...One final thing, as I regretfully got back in to the Tesla, I couldn't help feeling I'd just been in a proper car and I was now in what I can best describe as a toy. I'm now eagerly awaiting delivery some time I hope in 2023.
Taycan ST is a beautiful car, for sure - congrats!

As far as the comparison with your current Tesla Model 3 - I should certainly hope it's nicer, for twice (or more) the price.

You're very fortunate to be in a position to get one - enjoy it!

Codeias

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST (MY23), 911 Carrera 4 GTS (997)
Country flag
Glad you enjoyed it and what an EV can be… forget that, what a car can be, the Taycan GTS is just a good car, full stop! There is no need for me to add “for an EV”, it just does pretty much everything so well! Possibly the perfect daily?! You were spoilt in the GTS for sure, I have an 4S and that’s been pretty impressive and just about all the useable acceleration / speed you need in a daily car but I’m lucky enough or have a GTS Sport Turismo due to be delivered in November.

OP
OP
sbarker108

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
agree, but I think it's just this particular colour. It looks like something an ill dog has squeezed out.
I thought that initially but it did grow on me, agree though its not its best colour.

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Colour is so so wrong, it's like the car has spanx on.

Kinda like it tho, but imagine trying to sell it later

OP
OP
sbarker108

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the gts feel as quick as your m5?
I'd say 0-80 yes, after that no. I think the physics kick in around that point.

The instant torque is a bit misleading I find. Maybe the v8 noise adds more drama and influences the feel too.

Both great cars.
Sponsored