Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
I am a fairly new Taycan fan, getting ready to place an order for a Taycan GTS ST (as soon as I find an allocation to factory order). I test drove a 2021 Taycan 4S. I did not like the steering feel of the 4S. Maybe it was not in the correct mode for a decent steering feel. I am starting this thread to learn from you all. If it was possible I would choose manual steering (yeah I know it would require a lot of arm muscles!) so I like the steering feel as real as possible. What is the steering feel on the Taycan is like and what settings, options make it better? For instance does PDCC make it better? Does the Power Steering Plus make it softer or more real? If it is the former I hope I can disable it since it is standard on the GTS ST.
Sponsored

Lazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Drive modes control the feel of steering. You should definitely spec Sport Chrono if you choose to buy since this gives access to more modes. Maybe one of those modes will feel more "real" for you.

However, it just isn't going to feel like an ICE car. There's little drama in steering since mountains of tech support the driver at all times.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you didn't like the steering feel of the 4S you won't like it on any of them. There are no options that significantly alter it.

Was it on Pilot Sport 4 summers or all seasons? That would make it a bit better. But that's it.

Spd_Tkt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 4S, 20 Jeep JLUR, 14 991.1 C2S-MT, 13 BMW K16GT
Country flag
I agree with Lazy. In Range mode on a 4S, the bias is towards a front wheel drive and you feel the traditional front wheel drive understeer. In contrast with Normal or Sport modes, you start with a rear wheel drive bias and you can apply "Big Pedal" steering inputs. This latter ability contributes to the steering feel.

Cheers

OP
OP
Tavsan

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
Yup, I have the chrono package, definitively want the control on the steering wheel.

I guess I need to test drive more.

Drive modes control the feel of steering. You should definitely spec Sport Chrono if you choose to buy since this gives access to more modes. Maybe one of those modes will feel more "real" for you.

However, it just isn't going to feel like an ICE car. There's little drama in steering since mountains of tech support the driver at all times.

OP
OP
Tavsan

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
The 4S had Pirelli tires. I guess I can upgrade the tires if it makes a noticeable difference, unless the GTS ST comes with it :cool:

If you didn't like the steering feel of the 4S you won't like it on any of them. There are no options that significantly alter it.

Was it on Pilot Sport 4 summers or all seasons? That would make it a bit better. But that's it.

OP
OP
Tavsan

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
I guess I will always drive in sports mode.

I agree with Lazy. In Range mode on a 4S, the bias is towards a front wheel drive and you feel the traditional front wheel drive understeer. In contrast with Normal or Sport modes, you start with a rear wheel drive bias and you can apply "Big Pedal" steering inputs. This latter ability contributes to the steering feel.

Cheers

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
This car drives and feels like a Porsche through and through. Cockpit position and steering feel are what make this car feel so great. If you didn't like it, I'm not sure what you would enjoy.

As others have said, you probably better take her for a spin in Sport or Sport+ to know for sure. Not worth throwing away 150k on a GTS if you don't like how it feels.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The 4S had Pirelli tires. I guess I can upgrade the tires if it makes a noticeable difference, unless the GTS ST comes with it :cool:
The Pirellis are fine.

You got an accurate idea of how the steering is, up to you to decide if you like it enough. But the steering feeling in the GTS likely won't be significantly different.

The modes don't change how the electric steering feels, they just alter suspension/PCM/torque management. *edited for clarification* Steering weight can change slightly but it won't improve the actual tactile feedback.

Last edited:

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
That's definitely not true. I have a loaner 4S right now, and the steering is very different from my 4S. Personally, I think my car's steering is quite significantly superior to the loaner's.

But it's true that the days of feeling every bump or imperfection on the road surface are gone. If that's what OP is after, I don't think he'll get it with any modern car.

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
I am a fairly new Taycan fan, getting ready to place an order for a Taycan GTS ST (as soon as I find an allocation to factory order). I test drove a 2021 Taycan 4S. I did not like the steering feel of the 4S. Maybe it was not in the correct mode for a decent steering feel. I am starting this thread to learn from you all. If it was possible I would choose manual steering (yeah I know it would require a lot of arm muscles!) so I like the steering feel as real as possible. What is the steering feel on the Taycan is like and what settings, options make it better? For instance does PDCC make it better? Does the Power Steering Plus make it softer or more real? If it is the former I hope I can disable it since it is standard on the GTS ST.
Sport plus mode tightens up the steering on my 4s significantly.

OP
OP
Tavsan

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
Yeah I have read that RWD Taycan is more like the Porsche ICE cars. Is that because it is lighter at the front? Need to look up weight distribution on those.

Try a RWD Taycan. Lighter in the front.