kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
On a Tesla, you press 2 buttons and restart the computer yourself.
I'm curious, in a tesla you can do a reboot, is there any similar option in the taycan?
Porsche makes great driving cars, but they do not have an edge on Tesla in many other departments.
tesla wins in the tech category, but porsche, when it works isn't bad.
IMHO, the porsche is a far superior driving car
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
porsche is a far superior driving car
I take note of this everytime I’m driving my Taycan to the service center for the PCM issues, the OTA module replacements, the 12V issues, the lack of OTA updates, and when i’m driving it up on the flatbed truck after being unable to disconnect it from the EA fast chargers - it drives sooo well.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I take note of this everytime I’m driving my Taycan to the service center for the PCM issues, the OTA module replacements, the 12V issues, the lack of OTA updates, and when i’m driving it up on the flatbed truck after being unable to disconnect it from the EA fast chargers - it drives sooo well.
wow, you are really having a terrible go of it, are you aware of the mediation service to begin the process of lemon lawing the car?
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/attachments/porsche-taycan-pdf.13493/

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think there are many different things being talked about here.

First there is “first year production issues.” Almost every car has them. I tend to be stupid and buy first year cars. I am familiar with the syndrome. Some things are firmware/software, some are TSBs and sometimes they are major. Let’s take those off the table for a moment (Porsche has some, Tesla has some).

That is NOT what I am talking about. I am talking about the number 300,000+ Model 3s coming off the line with back seats not bolted down (and never caught), panels still not aligned, significant paint issues. And Model X’s that are taken delivery of and then immediately taken to body shop to “fill in” missing sound insulation.

Or using industrial (not automotive) grade displays for years that yellow and sometimes fail, and simply never changing it. And the flash ROM write issue that can disable vehicles.

I am not bashing Tesla, nor am I a Porsche fan. But its simply not true that Porsche and Tesla apply the same quality control and care standards to their cars. Tesla customers seem to accept a lot of things that other car manufacturers would lose customers over. That is fine, to each their own. I will not buy a Tesla BECAUSE they have shown their real level of care.

My first Porsche (a launch edition, so very early number)? Honestly I have had no flaws, outside of some software decision/bugs frustrations. I ordered a very early production Jaguar I-Pace and that car has also been flawless. There are reports of owners that have had issues with their I-Paces (like here), but it has not been the norm.

I for one am not convinced Tesla has a very high quality standard. Even their service center literally broken the cooling fan on my Roadster on a standard annual service without noticing. I noticed immediately as the PEM temperature started shooting up within 3 minutes of driving on a relatively cool day. After going back the manager admitted they have no post service “check out” process. And this is a major and long standing service center outside of Washington DC.

If my Porsche dealer did anything like that I would immediately hand them the keys, sell the car and walk away. But I have to say at this point I am more surprised than pleased if a Tesla service is completed in one visit.

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
I am not bashing Tesla, nor am I a Porsche fan. But its simply not true that Porsche and Tesla apply the same quality control and care standards to their cars. Tesla customers seem to accept a lot of things that other car manufacturers would lose customers over. That is fine, to each their own. I will not buy a Tesla BECAUSE they have shown their real level of care.
I think when it comes to physical pieces/parts and processes like QA, it boils down to: one company has a hundred years of experience building cars, the other doesn't. But I would argue that just because the technical/infotainment systems aren't physical pieces and parts you can see, doesn't make their failures any less of a quality problem.

On the Porsche, the touchscreen for Nav frequently is in German language by the Search icon. When driving, it recommends using the lower touchpad to write letters in, but frequently exits out of the search function so that typing is actually pressing other buttons on other parts of the screen. SiriusXM is disabled. Charging the car at home has failed on 3 separate occasions for no known reason--one time it just stopped at 50%, another time the charger said there was a fault but worked right after I unplugged and plugged back in. All issues I've -never- had with Tesla on my 3 or the X we got a few months ago.

Just saying, for as far ahead as Porsche is in build quality, they're just as far (or farther) behind in the functionality and reliability of their infotainment systems. The problem you had with your Roadster that would make you dump your keys and walk at Porsche, is similar to when I took delivery of my Taycan and they literally had no way to get the car working other than a tech do a hard restart of the computer, which took 20 minutes, and which was not possible for an owner to do. Porsche has so far failed me much harder than Tesla where quality is concerned. A panel gap or mediocre paint is nothing compared to the car just literally not working right.

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (due Dec), Porsche GT3, Land Rover Discovery, VW Transporter T6, Mini Cooper (Classic)
Country flag
Absolutely gutted! Just got off phone from OPC advising that my Turbo S which was due for collection on Monday (March 1st) is the subject of a last minute ‘Stop Sale’ from Porsche! Apparently it is one of a production batch which may have potential suspension failure issues!
The OPC has no idea what this actually means for my car and are waiting for more information from Porsche.
It all sounds pretty serious! ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no matter how upset you are - better than having actual problems post delivery.

I am however sympathetic to your sadness.

OP
OP

Johnny73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ( on order ), BMW 740D M Sport ( current ), BMW M6 Gran Coupe ( previous )
Country flag
Absolutely gutted! Just got off phone from OPC advising that my Turbo S which was due for collection on Monday (March 1st) is the subject of a last minute ‘Stop Sale’ from Porsche! Apparently it is one of a production batch which may have potential suspension failure issues!
The OPC has no idea what this actually means for my car and are waiting for more information from Porsche.
It all sounds pretty serious! ?
Same position, delivery was supposed to be 1st March, but now still awaiting a delivery date and don’t know yet what the fault is!

Taycanrati

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherry Metallic Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m part of the Lucky group that is on STOP SALE for a bad inverter as shipped from factory. - sounds like Tesla? Shipem out and fix at dealership or port. No new boards even available before March 19. ( bet that the Factory made their Ship goal for 2020),,,?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I’m part of the Lucky group that is on STOP SALE for a bad inverter as shipped from factory. - sounds like Tesla? Shipem out and fix at dealership or port. No new boards even available before March 19. ( bet that the Factory made their Ship goal for 2020),,,?
Actually as I said I have found applying TSBs at port is very common. I believe it’s because there is a pre-dealer delivery check list anyway (which may require adjustments after shipping, so applying TSBs or fixes fits right in). Its part of the quality control chain.

And would you prefer they HOLD a shipment for 4 weeks, then fix, then ship for a few weeks, OR they ship to destination, then prep the fix (including parts that may be required) while the car is in transit, therefore saving a bunch of delivery time? Makes perfect sense.

This is very different than Teslas hand it to the customer, and immediately schedule a repair in a few weeks to fix the issue.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I’m part of the Lucky group that is on STOP SALE for a bad inverter as shipped from factory. - sounds like Tesla? Shipem out and fix at dealership or port.
Well sound like Porsche, ship them, but if we find a problem, stop delivery and let us deal with it, instead of dumping the problem car onto the customer?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually as I said I have found applying TSBs at port is very common. I believe it’s because there is a pre-dealer delivery check list anyway (which may require adjustments after shipping, so applying TSBs or fixes fits right in). Its part of the quality control chain.
It makes a lot of sense to apply TSBs at the port when you consider that Porsche (or any other brand) has no control over how long the cars will be stuck in port awaiting Customs approval for release. Performing TSBs while impounded for Customs causes zero additional delay to the customer, whereas performing TSBs after the car is delivered to the dealership causes a day-for-day delay to the customer.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For those affected by this delay - is porsche or the dealership offering any compensation? I know for the end-of-year 911 delays (CARB related), they wound up offering 1st service visit free or something like that for the delay.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well sound like Porsche, ship them, but if we find a problem, stop delivery and let us deal with it, instead of dumping the problem car onto the customer?
Doesn't the software bugs that are acknowledged by Porsche in TSBs (e.g. 12v battety, OTA self corruption) count as dumping problematic cars to customers? Did you see a Stop Sale for that?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah - I simply laugh at anyone that thinks Tesla is doing it worse than any of the other guys or vice versa - this is all SOP for the automotive industry - if you don’t believe me I feel you’re simply not paying attention. Cars get dumped on people all the time with “known” problems they plan to fix later ”in service”
Sponsored