Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Doesn't the software bugs that are acknowledged by Porsche in TSBs (e.g. 12v battety, OTA self corruption) count as dumping problematic cars to customers? Did you see a Stop Sale for that?
My Taycan has no major software bugs and no charging bugs and no 12V battery problems. So how exactly are problematic cars dumped when thorough quality control cannot spot a problem?

We are in the manufacturing business and our quality control department is the largest department. Do we have a quality problem our customers or their customers report back? Sure we do, but how much and how sever are they, that is what makes the difference.

If you guys don't like the car/brand, sell it and move on, nobody forces you to own/drive it.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For those affected by this delay - is porsche or the dealership offering any compensation? I know for the end-of-year 911 delays (CARB related), they wound up offering 1st service visit free or something like that for the delay.
There was some talk about compensation when my car was delayed for 4 months, due to COVID and some production ramp up problems at the beginning of 2020. At the end nothing really came out of it.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So how exactly are problematic cars dumped when thorough quality control cannot spot a problem?
You have probably not read the Technical Service Bulletins where Porsche themselves confirm the existence of bugs.

If you guys don't like the car/brand, sell it and move on, nobody forces you to own/drive it.
Easy to say this. Will you or Porsche cover the $25000 depreciation hit, if I sell mine because Porsche keeps postponing bug fixing? I like the car when it works as expected, and when it doesn't I want the dealer to be able to fix it. That's it.

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I agree with many of the sentiments expressed in this thread. In an effort to contribute to what is still a healthy discussion, I will add the following observations:
  • Buying a car in the first year of an all-new model is risky. I keep doing this myself, and while I have often been lucky, I have heard many bad stories of people's experiences. And all buyers of cars from that model year suffer some element of reduced value because of this fact. It was, in fact, one of the things I thought was the craziest elements of Tesla's original Model S that they charged a PREMIUM to the buyers of the first 100 Model S produced - and people paid it!
  • Buying into a manufacturer's early EV experience adds to this risk. I have commented on this before, and I keep seeing it and hearing about it from friends, acquaintances and members of various forums of every EV (and even plugin hybrid) that I have owned.
  • Supporting the development of newer and better types of vehicles is worth some of this extra pain. I have stayed on the electrification train through multiple 12V battery failures (on every car I have owned since departing the pure ICE train) for this very reason.
  • We have no evidence that Porsche are not trying to address our problems. However, they clearly do not have it all figured out, and I can only imagine that they are very slowly figuring out that they have a potentially widespread issue here with the software and general electronic components in these vehicles.
  • I do not think that anything that we are experiencing contributes to the Tesla sucks/Tesla is great debate. Tesla is a company that has a very short track record in making cars, while Porsche has a long and storied history of making GREAT cars. This difference helps and hurts each company in different ways. I will also add that I find Tesla's core quality issues surprising only because their cars are quite simplified in a way that suggests that they could avoid some of the problems that ICE manufacturers have experienced. Instead, they have more basic construction issues that our cars do not, such as windshields flying off on freeways.
For these reasons, I am inclined to continue to be patient with them, but I totally understand the strong feelings expressed in this thread.

Last edited:

Taycanrati

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherry Metallic Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It makes a lot of sense to apply TSBs at the port when you consider that Porsche (or any other brand) has no control over how long the cars will be stuck in port awaiting Customs approval for release. Performing TSBs while impounded for Customs causes zero additional delay to the customer, whereas performing TSBs after the car is delivered to the dealership causes a day-for-day delay to the customer.
I will agree with you that doing problem fixes at the Port ( San Diego) is preferred to delivering a prob to the customer and then letting us deal with it in the service department. I don’t agree that there is a Zero Delay, due to a Customs hold. That’s not the case with an electric car even in California. My car was excepted to clear Customs and CARB within a couple of days, maybe a week worst case. My car is sitting at the port for over a week. No delivery Date in sight, other than a rumor that the new boards might ship from Porsche March 19th. I should be driving my car now after many months since ordering. I have no idea when I will take delivery due to -additional delays.

Kaizen

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
My car (Taycan Turbo) has been sitting at the docks at Sheerness since the 12th of Feb and still hasn't made it to the dealer. Not been waiting as long as @Johnny73 as I ordered mid-Dec.

Last weekend was meant to be my collection date, but there is still no sign of the car at the dealer (Colchester), and they don't seem to know when it'll appear. Now it kind of sounds like there might be another delay once it finally gets to them?
I had a delay on mine and found a stock car (Turbo) through the Porsche website. Had 90% of the spec I wanted and it was delivered a few days later. I think each dealership is given a quota of Taycans and some garages (eg Perth) have spare.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Easy to say this. Will you or Porsche cover the $25000 depreciation hit, if I sell mine because Porsche keeps postponing bug fixing? I like the car when it works as expected, and when it doesn't I want the dealer to be able to fix it. That's it.
I hear you! I would be super annoyed as well if my car is in the shop and not her for me to drive it.

One of the profs for material science I had 25 years ago said: "A car which does not start is a total quality failure and must never ever happen!" He had a lot of harsh words describing the German car industry.

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (due Dec), Porsche GT3, Land Rover Discovery, VW Transporter T6, Mini Cooper (Classic)
Country flag
my dealer told me last week that they recieved an alert from porsche germany, specific to my vehicle in turkey, that my car has faulty front and back traverses. They said they need to replace both. I researched it and learned that travers is an important part of the structure of the chassis. I requested a new taycan turbo s from them. Changing a new cars chassis components for a factory related fault is not acceptable to me!
I am curious as to what happened with your car? Did Porsche replace as you requested or repairs it. Can you be more specific as to the actual fault? The reason I as k is that my car has had a 'stop sale' placed on it due to a 'suspension hardware fault' but I still don't know what that means or what the fix is?

TurkishTaycan

First Name
Umut Can
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am curious as to what happened with your car? Did Porsche replace as you requested or repairs it. Can you be more specific as to the actual fault? The reason I as k is that my car has had a 'stop sale' placed on it due to a 'suspension hardware fault' but I still don't know what that means or what the fix is?
My dealer told me that they will get a proper answer from porsche germany this week. I will update you as soon as i have further information.

OP
OP

Johnny73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ( on order ), BMW 740D M Sport ( current ), BMW M6 Gran Coupe ( previous )
Country flag
My dealer told me that they will get a proper answer from porsche germany this week. I will update you as soon as i have further information.
I’m still waiting for any explaining as to why mine’s part of the stop campaign so also be interested to hear what they share with you,

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (due Dec), Porsche GT3, Land Rover Discovery, VW Transporter T6, Mini Cooper (Classic)
Country flag
An update from my dealer today as to why my car was held up from delivery on 1st March under a 'stop sale' campaign. I was told at the time that the issue was to do with the front suspension hardware. It would appear that a couple of bolts require replacing in the front wishbones and it is a relatively straight forward job involving only removal of the front wheels to gain access. The parts are on their way from Germany and the job should be completed early next week. Must say my OPC has been brilliant and kept me fully informed at every stage. Hopefully, after what is now approaching 12 months from the point of order, my Taycan Turbo S will be on my drive in a matter of days!

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Remedial work now complete and car booked for collection on Thursday. OPC took the opportunity to also run the latest software update so hopefully it will be good to go for a while!
Just two more sleeps! :like:

OP
OP

Johnny73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ( on order ), BMW 740D M Sport ( current ), BMW M6 Gran Coupe ( previous )
Country flag
Remedial work now complete and car booked for collection on Thursday. OPC took the opportunity to also run the latest software update so hopefully it will be good to go for a while!
Just two more sleeps! :like:
Lucky you Ian! Roll on Thursday!!

Had a call yesterday to say that the part for my repair has been delayed and won't arrive until next week at the earliest ( fault is with the 22kW charging option ). Worry is that apparently it's a 10-hour workshop job suggesting my new Taycan will be pretty-much a heap of parts on the dealer's workshop floor if the job's going to take that long!!

Taycanrati

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherry Metallic Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am beginning to experience delivery Creep. Car in the Port since mid February. STOP/SALE originally given a date of March 19.
Now every week I look, the Date Is slipping by another week. Latest -begin Hardware fix is April 2. Then of course, we need to send the car from the port to the dealership to perform a complete software, 2 days, reload.
is anyone else experiencing this ‘ week by week’ delivery date push out?
Sponsored