Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Frozen Berry, BMW X1 (F48)
Country flag
I have purchased my Taycan last Nov had a lot of fun till now.

I found out my A/C stopped working the end of June.
So contacted the dealer right away as the long weekend is finished, and they booked my appointment the late in July, and they said it is earliest. (no service loaner available too until October)
I had to drove my car without A/C even heatwave warning is issued to go work, and for my daily routine.

I dropped off my car a few days ago, and I was told there is no ETA, it can be a few day, it can be a few weeks, it can be a month.
And the service advisor told me, he can give 2 options, the first one is take the car and come back late in Oct, or the second is leave the car in the shop and just wait. because they don't have any technician available and don't know when they can have a look. lol

Of course, there is no service loaner available, also they refused giving me a rental car either/uber credit either.
Even though I have a service package called "VIP Package" which includes "Service Loaner Vehicle".

is it common situation on your area too? or am I special case having this "post covid" era?

Please share your experience, thank you!

Porsche Taycan Taycan Technician Shortage of Vancouver BC area Pasted_Image_2022-08-04__5_24_PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow! I live in Vancouver and would be appalled if my service agent did that. Would you mind pm'ing me who it was?

Email Sophie Huang, she's the customer serivce manager. I can pm you her email. I don't think porsche would take lightly neither. You should give a zero on the next service satisfaction email.

I Know they are very short staffed, but surely they can give you a rental? That would be my lowest expectation.

Terra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Country flag
Wow! I live in Vancouver and would be appalled if my service agent did that. Would you mind pm'ing me who it was?

Email Sophie Huang, she's the customer serivce manager. I can pm you her email. I don't think porsche would take lightly neither. You should give a zero on the next service satisfaction email.

I Know they are very short staffed, but surely they can give you a rental? That would be my lowest expectation.
I have purchased my Taycan last Nov had a lot of fun till now.

I found out my A/C stopped working the end of June.
So contacted the dealer right away as the long weekend is finished, and they booked my appointment the late in July, and they said it is earliest. (no service loaner available too until October)
I had to drove my car without A/C even heatwave warning is issued to go work, and for my daily routine.

I dropped off my car a few days ago, and I was told there is no ETA, it can be a few day, it can be a few weeks, it can be a month.
And the service advisor told me, he can give 2 options, the first one is take the car and come back late in Oct, or the second is leave the car in the shop and just wait. because they don't have any technician available and don't know when they can have a look. lol

Of course, there is no service loaner available, also they refused giving me a rental car either/uber credit either.
Even though I have a service package called "VIP Package" which includes "Service Loaner Vehicle".

is it common situation on your area too? or am I special case having this "post covid" era?

Please share your experience, thank you!

View attachment 41153
What you are experiencing is the repercussions of years and years of people telling their kids that they have to go to university..get a degree etc.. We are just at the beginning stages of the “Great trade shortage” with no one entering into skilled trades including mechanical over the past few decades.. the tsunami has been building and now it’s starting to crash… Be prepared to pay HUGE $$$ and painful wait times for any type of trade related services.. Until their Richmond shop is opened up this will continue to be.. even then they won’t be able to find skilled people..

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I don't want to mention the service advisor name, they are all seemed stressed. they may try hard.

I talked with Sophie Huang already early in July, I was told she can do nothing. Kept saying they are short staffed and loaner vehicles, can't provide a rental car either, I gave example how other car dealerships handle this, but she said they are not Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Audi, so they can't.

I also opened a case Porsche Cars Canada, I was told they can't do anything either because the dealer is short staffed/no loaner vehicle available. My case manager suggested the dealer to reimburse a rental cost, but the dealer said they would "consider" once the fix is complete. (may pay, may not)

I don't know how long the fix does take, I don't want to pay something I have to pay either. so I can't really have rental because they said "will consider once the fix is completed."

I am quite frustrated all this situation, but just wondering it is common thing in other area too.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I’m also in Vancouver. Maybe they just have not had time to diagnose your car. It’s only been two days and I know they are backed up. They may also have to wait for parts due to the shortage.

Give it a couple more days to see if they can diagnose the issue.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just for a UK perspective.
It is similar here. I think it's a global issue currently.

There are a shortage of Taycan fully trained techs.

There are a severe lack of loan cars.

I booked my car in for the update as soon as it was released (July). They said they will likely need the car for 3 days in case they have issues and I would therefore need a loaner. The very earliest would therefore be October.

And this is a very good dealer too, who told me recently they are desperately trying to get new techs qualified ASAP for Taycans.

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m also in Vancouver. Maybe they just have not had time to diagnose your car. It’s only been two days and I know they are backed up. They may also have to wait for parts due to the shortage.

Give it a couple more days to see if they can diagnose the issue.
What I was told is they need to update the software/recalls first before diagnosis AC functionality. The service advisor also told me, the software update usually fails 2-3 times, so it would take 1-2 days. that was what we discussed when I drop my car in the shop.

Btw, did you get VIP package for service loaner vehicle? did you ever get one from the Vancouver centre? My vehicle got serviced 4 times for recalls, and fixing other issues, but I only had 1 time and the car was base Macan. (I purchased 4S last Nov, pre-owned)

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just for a UK perspective.
It is similar here. I think it's a global issue currently.

There are a shortage of Taycan fully trained techs.

There are a severe lack of loan cars.

I booked my car in for the update as soon as it was released (July). They said they will likely need the car for 3 days in case they have issues and I would therefore need a loaner. The very earliest would therefore be October.

And this is a very good dealer too, who told me recently they are desperately trying to get new techs qualified ASAP for Taycans.
Thanks for sharing your experience from UK!

Yes, they are trying to get new techs for Taycan, that is what I was told too.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I was told is they need to update the software/recalls first before diagnosis AC functionality. The service advisor also told me, the software update usually fails 2-3 times, so it would take 1-2 days. that was what we discussed when I drop my car in the shop.

Btw, did you get VIP package for service loaner vehicle? did you ever get one from the Vancouver centre? My vehicle got serviced 4 times for recalls, and fixing other issues, but I only had 1 time and the car was base Macan. (I purchased 4S last Nov, pre-owned)
It’s true that the update takes 2 days. I just did it. It updates to the latest operating system and it has totally bogged down the service department. So much for over the air updates, right? That’s why the VW CEO was just replaced.

I don’t have the VIP package. Fortunately I have several cars so I never really need a loaner, but I can understand the frustration if it’s your daily driver.

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I just talked with Sophie again, the same explanation, they are short staffed especially Taycan, backed up, no service loaner car available, no ETA, if I need a loaner earliest appointment is Nov now.

She apologized about the situation, but she have nothing for me. She will try to get loaner if any appointment is cancelled (not going to happen). Also talked about a rental car, they can't provide, they can't even reimburse the cost either. She said Porsche Cars Canada might reimburse the rental car cost once the fix is almost done. but not guaranteed. (what I was told earlier from my case manager was opposite, it is from dealership, I am not sure now.)

Well, maybe I expected too much from Porsche. I thought giving a rental car is a quite common thing on premium brands, but apparently not.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What was their explanation for not giving you a rental car? Ive also struggled with getting a loaner but interestingly my dad dropped his car off for a paid service and they gave him a loaner cayenne no problem.

Have you spoken with porsche Langley? In this heat I'd hate to drive a car with no AC.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Edmonton, Alberta here.

Local Porsche dealer has ONE qualified tech for Taycan models. One guy. That's it.

You're not alone.

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What was their explanation for not giving you a rental car? Ive also struggled with getting a loaner but interestingly my dad dropped his car off for a paid service and they gave him a loaner cayenne no problem.
"We don't provide a rental car, we are short staffed and no loaner car available, all customers are treated as the same here" This is what I heard more than 5 times in a single call with Sophie. Whatever I ask her, she answered the same sentence over over again. :CWL:

Maybe your dad made a service appointment earlier? Originally they told appointment without loaner car is July 29th, if need a loaner car, then late in September. (now November is earliest) but I expected my car would be fixed in 3-4 days, so I was okay with it when I dropped my car off, but now they are telling me there is no ETA, it can be a few weeks or a month. that is why I am asking a loaner or rental car, but simply they ignore my frustration.

Have you spoken with porsche Langley? In this heat I'd hate to drive a car with no AC.
I have spoken with Langley early in July, they are fully booked till September. Vancouver one told me July 29th, so I dropped off my car in Vancouver, but now they say "Please come back in November" or "Leave the car here, but there is no ETA, no loaner car."

Edmonton, Alberta here.

Local Porsche dealer has ONE qualified tech for Taycan models. One guy. That's it.

You're not alone.
It may be just the early adopter pain. I hope things get better soon.

Apparently Tesla provide a better service here. They provide a rental vehicle from third party or Uber credits, even though owners need to wait a few months (especially Model X) to fix.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"We don't provide a rental car, we are short staffed and no loaner car available, all customers are treated as the same here" This is what I heard more than 5 times in a single call with Sophie. Whatever I ask her, she answered the same sentence over over again. :CWL:

Maybe your dad made a service appointment earlier? Originally they told appointment without loaner car is July 29th, if need a loaner car, then late in September. (now November is earliest) but I expected my car would be fixed in 3-4 days, so I was okay with it when I dropped my car off, but now they are telling me there is no ETA, it can be a few weeks or a month. that is why I am asking a loaner or rental car, but simply they ignore my frustration.

I have spoken with Langley early in July, they are fully booked till September. Vancouver one told me July 29th, so I dropped off my car in Vancouver, but now they say "Please come back in November" or "Leave the car here, but there is no ETA, no loaner car."

It may be just the early adopter pain. I hope things get better soon.

Apparently Tesla provide a better service here. They provide a rental vehicle from third party or Uber credits, even though owners need to wait a few months (especially Model X) to fix.
Tesla is not better. They may give Uber credits, but the service is terrible. My car got trashed at Tesla, but at Porsche, it came back in perfect condition.

Grass is always greener on the other side.

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla is not better. They may give Uber credits, but the service is terrible. My car got trashed at Tesla, but at Porsche, it came back in perfect condition.

Grass is always greener on the other side.
Coming back in perfect condition, that is a relief. Sorry about your Tesla.
My friends who drive Tesla, they shared their service experiences regarding quality, panel gaps, experiencing weird sensor issues, mobile services, maybe they were pretending the service is good to me, because I have Taycan haha.
Sponsored

Last edited: