Taycan - the "reverse" one-pedal driving. Comparison with Tesla model 3 performance after 1 month.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Because the Taycan has 265kW regen which is equivalent of hitting a regular break quite hard! If you put all this on one pedal and accidentally slip off - happens to me sometimes - you will produce accidents. Different tech level, requires different solutions.
Well this really isn’t an issue, because regen doesn’t have to be FULL regen. Like the I-Pace, it will provide the first 50KW of regen from lifting the accelerator, and the rest comes in as you touch the brakes. Yes its a blended break I understand, but so is the Taycan. So the setting could allow a good usable portion from just lifting accelerator, and only start kicking in the rest when you engage the brake.

Its a philosophy which I do not mind. And it makes more sense when the brakes are mechanical only. But when they are already blended like in the Taycan I don’t see why the option is not given.
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Because the Taycan has 265kW regen which is equivalent of hitting a regular break quite hard! If you put all this on one pedal and accidentally slip off - happens to me sometimes - you will produce accidents. Different tech level, requires different solutions.
Considering, in theory, that you can already harness part of the massive total re-gen. I am sure that Porsche could have harnessed a bit more of it to allow a one pedal driving mode if they would have wanted to. However, they decided not to, probably to drive forward their particular take on how to promote sporty electro mobility....... Nothing wrong with that, However, it does not mean they could not have had one more mode on the drive dial if they had wanted to. Theoretically of course. :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Considering, in theory, that you can already harness part of the massive total re-gen. I am sure that Porsche could have harnessed a bit more of it to allow a one pedal driving mode if they would have wanted to. However, they decided not to, probably to drive forward their particular take on how to promote sporty electro mobility....... Nothing wrong with that, However, it does not mean they could not have had one more mode on the drive dial if they had wanted to. Theoretically of course. :)
Of course possible, but maybe over-engineered? You then have blended regen and disk breaking on the break pedal and blended acceleration and regen on the gas pedal. Where do make the regen cut-off? 30kW, 50kW, 80kW, 120kW? At least for the first EV from Porsche, I guess it would have been too much tech for too little benefit. And do non-EV customers even want that?

I was also skeptical, because I like this on the MS90D (for dense city traffic, otherwise uselss) but I don't miss it as such when I drive my A7. This is certainly one thing I am eager to test...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Well this really isn’t an issue, because regen doesn’t have to be FULL regen. Like the I-Pace, it will provide the first 50KW of regen from lifting the accelerator, and the rest comes in as you touch the brakes. Yes its a blended break I understand, but so is the Taycan. So the setting could allow a good usable portion from just lifting accelerator, and only start kicking in the rest when you engage the brake.

Its a philosophy which I do not mind. And it makes more sense when the brakes are mechanical only. But when they are already blended like in the Taycan I don’t see why the option is not given.
Maybe Porsche did some customer research and found out, that one-pedal driving is not what the customer wants? Maybe Porsche with the VW group wants to establish a firm industry standard, which does not go down the road of one-pedal driving?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Maybe Porsche did some customer research and found out, that one-pedal driving is not what the customer wants? Maybe Porsche with the VW group wants to establish a firm industry standard, which does not go down the road of one-pedal driving?
I thin k it is too do with racing, it would be difficult to take a corner with regen, much eaiser to feel the corner with some braking before heading to the apex etc.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I thin k it is too do with racing, it would be difficult to take a corner with regen, much eaiser to feel the corner with some braking before heading to the apex etc.
Could be, I am not a sports car driver, but I like it above the speed limit, to the frustration of my wife. :) My excuse: runs in the family! :angel:

Another reason why Porsche could have decided against one pedal driving, and I do see this as a downside: This morning, I had the situation again, that I had to break a bit more than usual. I just let the gas pedal go and then for a split second, I was hoping, that the regen was just enough for the situation. In these moments you feel the downside of splitting up the breaking between two pedals.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think they made a perfectly fine decision which has to do with “constant” behaviour regardless of state of charge and maintaining “normal” driving characteristics. I am perfectly fine with it. My point simply is it is very easy to provide an “alternate” mode we can turn on if we prefer.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think they made a perfectly fine decision which has to do with “constant” behaviour regardless of state of charge and maintaining “normal” driving characteristics. I am perfectly fine with it. My point simply is it is very easy to provide an “alternate” mode we can turn on if we prefer.
I understand, but they did implement three different modes to start with. Now that the product is out, I am sure Porsche over time will listen to its' customers.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I a
This morning, I had the situation again, that I had to break a bit more than usual. I just let the gas pedal go and then for a split second, I was hoping, that the regen was just enough for the situation. In these moments you feel the downside of splitting up the breaking between two pedals.
Do You not have a Settings in the car to switch the One Pedal driving to a lower level that is more like the one in the Taycan? That is in the menu for the model3 at least. Just switch it over and problem solved.
Easy to do!

Deleted member 1697

I'm driving the 4S, that should tell you which car I prefer. But as much as I love this car, it does not make it faster than the model 3 performance. I don't track my car, so the only comparison I have is the "seat of the pants" sensation. Drive them back to back, you will see what I mean. The difference is not large, but notable - as it should given the performance numbers (model 3 is 3.2 s to 60, 4S is 3.8s). I still prefer the being pampered sensation that my Taycan provides.

On the Tesla forums there is a lot of hate for the Taycan, here a little anxiety about Tesla - but I must say this is a much more civil forum. My point is that Tesla should learn from Porsche and Porsche from Tesla - all to the benefit of EV enthusiast like all of us.
taycan is an hybrid ! a porsche+Tesla hybrid...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am sorry @2big2fioul I don't see any reason to think Tesla has a portion of Taycan design. I agree that Teslas growing market share is no doubt a motivation for Porsche but probably not as much as government pressure for a fraction of vehicles produced to be clean air. I think Porsche is quite capable of creating an electric car all by themselves and I believe that they did an excellent job with the Taycan. They have had many years of experience with hybrid vehicles like 919 then 918 and Panamera and Cayenne. They used the 800v system on the 919, three time LeMans winner and are the first to use a 2 speed transmission in a production EV. They have Blended breaking with regen to 265kW over double of any other production car I know of.

I agree Teslas are fun and much more affordable, but please don't attempt to mix them into the Taycan any more than the Nissan Leaf which was also quite popular and affordable.

Deleted member 1697

@ron_b I agree so much that I bought one ... my point is not a technical speech : from the customer point of view, promoters of Tesla are mad of this brand and promoters of Porsche are also passionate. listening to both of them, understanding what they love each, let's try a Taycan !

but we can't forget this part of history : tesla did first large quality EV production and it was appreciated (a little)
and BMW did the first 2 gears EV with the i8 from my memories

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
Easy enough to have a reasonable limit on regen braking. Just because you can use 265kw doesn't mean you should without applying the brake pedal.

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
Personally I am used to a smidge of engine braking and I found the coasting quite disconcerting sometimes. When I switched the mode on the regen it was perfect for me.
Sponsored