Taycan to the Alps 18-day road trip 2022

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Chunnel maintains a GSM signal – through in-tunnel repeaters – for the entire journey – so the PVTS+ tracker could reach back to the security centre.
Yes, I know.

There might not have been GSM coverage on the ship @W1NGE was on.
It was the ship WINGE was on to which I was referring.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
only now catching up on all these reports @tigerbalm . Great report as always. Very detailed and some fantastic photos. Really enjoyed your report about the Porsche factory tour.
Thank You!

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Day 14: Stuttgart (Germany) -> Heidelberg (Germany)

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 21.53.06.jpg

We checked out of our hotel and headed to Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen – a trip of less than three kilometres. We're familiar with the area – and it's traffic – and are soon parked up in the underground car park.

And plugged in for a 11 kW charge – with the car at around 39% battery state-of-charge it would be five hours before its full – which is fine as we're expecting to be here that long.

52343934633_8ef7e25e79_o.jpg

On walking up to ground level – we see some faux Porsche police – really "site safety" officers.

52343703236_05a2ce4e3c_o.jpg

With the famous Porsche monument down for scheduled maintenance.

52344011489_76b26e6c18_o.jpg

The "Rent Me" car looking a little forlorn.

52342753822_f2d289ca61_o.jpg

52342755062_d0f10ffe22_o.jpg

We walk across the road – over to Werk 1.

52343957328_dc3545f761_o.jpg

To where the original factory was and where Porsche Factory Collection now takes place – alongside some dedicated Exclusive Manufaktur dedicated configuration advice and individualisation. We lament that we're not able to collect our Turbo S here in the future – as its not open to UK/Ireland cars at the moment.

In fact the entire place looks like it might be undergoing maintenance/construction.

52344018699_21a9da5393_o.jpg

We grab some lunch in the cafeteria here and head up to the museum proper.

52344152515_6541b850c2_o.jpg

Admire the millionth 911 manufactured in Irish Green.

52344155815_bfb5001392_o.jpg

We chased one of these in this colour yesterday on the autobahn.

52344157450_6d627824d5_o.jpg

My favourite Porsche colour – Oslo Blue – would be my PTS choice.

52344159285_fbdeb4a744_o.jpg

And the always fun Pink Pig.

52343731176_1512ee1cac_o.jpg

We then went on the to our Taycan factory tour – to both the main assembly building and the paint shop. We want to do a proper write up of our experience here – so that will be a dedicated post later.

Afterwards, it's time for some (non-alcoholic) drinks and food at Christophorus – the restaurant within the Porsche Museum building.

52342801467_5c579d5d9d_o.jpg

Many thanks to Porsche Centre Dublin and Porsche AG for organising and picking up the tab – much appreciated and enjoyed by us both – best meal we had on this trip – by far!

52343742621_9241ae14b1_o.jpg

After our meal – it was time to head back down to our fully charged car.

52343756366_cf18b976b4_o.jpg

We head to Heidlebourg – our over night stop tonight. Where the underground car park has an industrial socket on a pillar.

This is the perfect scenario – and reason why we pack our Juice Booster Travel EVSE with us. We select the appropriate 3-phase adapter and plug in – immediately getting 10.5 kW of power.

This is one of those situations where we'll leave our hotel tomorrow with an unexpected full charge – because of our travel kit.

52344075954_c2397546cf_o.jpg

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Porsche Museum49%100%42.70€05h 30m25.026AC 11 kWHotel
Heidlebourg71%100%24.30€02h 12m21.535AC 11 kWHotel

Today we did 117 km over 1:30 hours, with an average speed of 76 km/h, consuming 21.4 kWh/100km.
I remember you had a post on everything you took on a road trip but can’t find it anymore. Do have the type 2 connector for your juice booster to use public chargers? Or do you still take a separate type 2 cable for that. I am considering to buy the juice booster 2 master traveler (most European plugs, 5 m extension cable, type 2 plug).

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I remember you had a post on everything you took on a road trip but can’t find it anymore. Do have the type 2 connector for your juice booster to use public chargers? Or do you still take a separate type 2 cable for that. I am considering to buy the juice booster 2 master traveler (most European plugs, 5 m extension cable, type 2 plug).
This one?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/western-europe-taycan-road-trip-report.6491/post-94564

To answer your question: yes, I do have the type 2 connector for my juice booster. On that original trip, I didn't bring it (hence its not in the picture).

However, since then I have started to bring it because with the extension cord it can make for a very long public charging cable in some sort of unusual situation. However, I've never had to use it yet.

I always bring my blue Mennekes branded Type 2 AC Charging Cable with me – it's 7.5 meters – and that gets a ton of use – especially at hotels. Its so well built.

Here on my arctic circle trip – if you look closely – you'll see the type 2 juice booster adaptor in the pile:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...circle-road-trip-2022.9393/page-4#post-134840

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am considering to buy the juice booster 2 master traveler (most European plugs, 5 m extension cable, type 2 plug).
The "master traveler" is the kit/version I bought.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This one?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/western-europe-taycan-road-trip-report.6491/post-94564

To answer your question: yes, I do have the type 2 connector for my juice booster. On that original trip, I didn't bring it (hence its not in the picture).

However, since then I have started to bring it because with the extension cord it can make for a very long public charging cable in some sort of unusual situation. However, I've never had to use it yet.

I always bring my blue Mennekes branded Type 2 AC Charging Cable with me – it's 7.5 meters – and that gets a ton of use – especially at hotels. Its so well built.

Here on my arctic circle trip – if you look closely – you'll see the type 2 juice booster adaptor in the pile:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...circle-road-trip-2022.9393/page-4#post-134840
Thx that’s the one

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This one?

Did you have to use the snow chains? I have the same from Porsche for my 20 inch wheels. I tried them in my garage and it looks quite easy to use. Is it correct that the additional parts are not needed for the 20 inch wheels?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you have to use the snow chains? I have the same from Porsche for my 20 inch wheels. I tried them in my garage and it looks quite easy to use. Is it correct that the additional parts are not needed for the 20 inch wheels?
I never had to use them! I really thought I would but the Pirelli winter's has great grip. Yes, the chains come from Porsche configured for the 20-inch wheels so you do not need to adjust them.

We're heading back to the Norwegian arctic in February with the new Turbo S – so I'll be back out practicing putting them on shortly myself. I found them okay to put on, when you drive forward they kinda put themselves on.

The last thing I want is to be in a position of needing them and standing at the side of the road reading the instructions!

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I never had to use them! I really thought I would but the Pirelli winter's has great grip. Yes, the chains come from Porsche configured for the 20-inch wheels so you do not need to adjust them.

We're heading back to the Norwegian arctic in February with the new Turbo S – so I'll be back out practicing putting them on shortly myself. I found them okay to put on, when you drive forward they kinda put themselves on.

The last thing I want is to be in a position of needing them and standing at the side of the road reading the instructions!
Thx !
I have 5 pairs of brand new snow chains in my garage. Just keeping them just in case they would fit on my next car but they never do.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thx !
I have 5 pairs of brand new snow chains in my garage. Just keeping them just in case they would fit on my next car but they never do.
The Porsche one's were pricy too, if I remember. And they are only rebranded RUD snowchains:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JU0BJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally did order them from Amazon – and they came requiring adjustments (messy). I ended up returning them unused and getting the Porsche ones, because I am:

a) A sucker and,
b) Was a bit concerned that if they snapped and damaged wheel/bodywork – I'd be on my own – where as getting the Porsche variant – and buying from dealer – I know they'd stand over it a bit better.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The Porsche one's were pricy too, if I remember. And they are only rebranded RUD snowchains:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JU0BJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally did order them from Amazon – and they came requiring adjustments (messy). I ended up returning them unused and getting the Porsche ones, because I am:

a) A sucker and,
b) Was a bit concerned that if they snapped and damaged wheel/bodywork – I'd be on my own – where as getting the Porsche variant – and buying from dealer – I know they'd stand over it a bit better.
Wow, 300 euro just for the Porsche brand on the bag. I think I paid more than 550 euro for them at the dealer. I also preferred those because they fit to the Taycan. I saw the RUD instruction video and didn't really want to start fiddling.

Just had a look on the site. The chains they sell for the Panamera and Cayenne are also half the price. Maybe the ones for the Taycan are stronger because of the torque an heavier car?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, 300 euro just for the Porsche brand on the bag. I think I paid more than 550 euro for them at the dealer. I also preferred those because they fit to the Taycan. I saw the RUD instruction video and didn't really want to start fiddling.

Just had a look on the site. The chains they sell for the Panamera and Cayenne are also half the price. Maybe the ones for the Taycan are stronger because of the torque an heavier car?
Yep that price sounds familiar. Looking at the image for the Panamera:

Porsche Taycan Taycan to the Alps 18-day road trip 2022 Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 18.13.21

It looks like they are a much older design – which are much harder to fit.

Less with the central "knob" design of the Taycan one. My guess thats the main reason for the price difference between the models.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Where we also have access to our own private 11kW charger.

52315253144_8a13a1eb39_o.jpg

We enter our room from the balcony – where it feels unusual to see our car sitting out there!

52315268635_2c59ff4cf1_o.jpg

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
IONITY Wetteren26%85%49.89€16.460h 18m23.545DC 350kWIONITY
IONITY Aachener Land Süd30%83%41.94€13.840h 14m18.046DC 350kWIONITY
IONITY Brohltal West43%75%26.24€8.660h 9m19.046DC 350kWIONITY
Frankfurt Hotel27%100%68.85€30.087h 12m20.032AC 11kWHotel

Hey, Damien. I'm taking my wife and children on a surprise trip to this hotel on Thursday, purely as a consequence of seeing this trip report! Can't wait. Only a two and a half hour drive from my house, so should be able to get there without charging. The kWh costs don't look too bad, so will be interesting to see if they've gone up since your visit.

As I understand it, I should get an email with a code to access the lift which enables us to drive straight to the lift for the room when we arrive? Is it obvious where to drive? My wife knows nothing about this hotel, so it'll be cool if I can drive up to the lift without her realising what we're doing.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I understand it, I should get an email with a code to access the lift which enables us to drive straight to the lift for the room when we arrive? Is it obvious where to drive?
We got an email with the details about 24 hours before we were due to arrive. It encouraged us to download a mobile app which could be used to open our doors, operate lift, etc.

They also email you which of the three lifts to use: C1, C2 or C3 which are clearly indicated. Its on a very quiet road/cul-de-sac, so when you are trying to get into the lift or figure things out around there – it won't be busy – you won't have traffic up your ass!

However, this is where it did get a bit messy. We initially drove up to our allocated lift (C1) but the app would not open the door. We ended up driving around to the reception to check-in where the wanted a copy of our passports as we were not residents in Germany. They then give us typical hotel keycards, which we used to operate the lift. So never actually used the app in the end.

If you want it to go smoother – to give your family the best possible surprise and experience – I suggest you contact the hotel reception ahead and possibly discuss. Maybe if you send them passport details they'll activate your app access ahead of time.

Enjoy it – its a great hotel – nice design and the top floor food/drinks is very impressive. Let me know how you get on and post pictures!

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Nice tip for those traveling to the Alps.

I have been looking for a hotel to stay over night around Stuttgart. Lots of chargers around the airport. Mövenpick has one charger but can’t reserve it. Found another hotel: Adagio really close. It has a direct acces with elevator to the public parking garage underneath which has 20 public 22kw chargers. The hotel looks ok for one night.
Sponsored