McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Good questions. The former, we plan on ABRP then type the route into the Porsche Connect app on phone and send to car's navigation. I've never used carplay navigation – for the reasons you outlined – preparing battery for efficient charging.

So after sending the route to the car, I'll use the "Route Overview" in the PCM navigation screen. This will outline all the charging stops the car thinks its going to use – with estimated arrival, departure and length of time at each stop.

90% of the time the PCM gets it right and identifies the waypoints sent to it as charging stops – however, in the 10% of cases it doesn't, I'll delete the waypoint from the route and add it manually selecting the "fuel" filter option in the PCM. As the waypoint is already in the "recent's list" – I generally won't have to type it in manually again and then the navigation route will identify it as a charging stop.

I would love if Porsche would refine this process just a little bit – would be amazing – but alas, we know that won't happen anytime soon. That said, it is mostly good enough.
Thanks for the insights. Really useful.
and I understand why you separately sent the charge destinations.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Can I ask what tyres you are running, please?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Can I ask what tyres you are running, please?
Pirelli P Zero Winter R20 XL Elect NF0.

I would of course prefer more Nordic specific tyres with studs for this trip but that is not practical with the long motorway journeys to and from Scandinavia and also the requirements of an average Irish winter.

To supplement the tyres for ice road performance we carry the Porsche Taycan Snow Chains for more challenging sections.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Hopefully the weather clears up before you arrive here in Norway. Currently somewhat atrocious here in the west. Certainly no shortage of snow :) Before crossing any of the mountain passes it's a good idea to check the current conditions via the highway authority website. There is also a nice map view.
I was just about to post links to the English languerage versions of your links for our Irish guests, as most government websites have this, but then realized that the "mountain pass" page is not available in english. Strange... Well, Google Translate it is then i guess :)

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Pirelli P Zero Winter R20 XL Elect NF0.

I would of course prefer more Nordic specific tyres with studs for this trip but that is not practical with the long motorway journeys to and from Scandinavia and also the requirements of an average Irish winter.

To supplement the tyres for ice road performance we carry the Porsche Taycan Snow Chains for more challenging sections.
Couldnt agree mote....and also I'd add that studded tires are not very common in Norway at least until you get to the northern parts of Norway. Living in the middle of Norway I stopped using them in the early nineties, as that is when i personally feel that the technology of studless wintertires caught up with and surpassed the studded wintertires in terms of grip on most wintersurfaces.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was just about to post links to the English languerage versions of your links for our Irish guests, as most government websites have this, but then realized that the "mountain pass" page is not available in english. Strange... Well, Google Translate it is then i guess :)
Thank you – yep Google Translate works well for it. Hopefully Apple Translate (built into their OSes) will support Norwegian in the future.

Thank you for the links – much appreciated. I was aware of the list one and would be using it in our planning but I didn't have the map link – which is super helpful.

I think it is impossible to plan a firm route at this time of year – and we were very aware of that – for us its the adventurous element to this trip. A big reason we use hotels.com is that it allows us very late cancelling of accomodation – if we need to replan at short notice due to realities on the ground.

We're prepared to adapt as conditions require.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
English languerage versions of your links for our Irish guests
Also, it's always amazing to me how many Norwegian (or more correctly Old Norse) words have familiar spellings as Irish/Gaelic due to our shared Viking heritage. Dublin being founded by the Vikings in 841 AD.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Good luck - I’ll be watching the thread with much interest!
+1 :like:
i’ve been already asking myself, where are you going on your next trip, @tigerbalm

and, you forced me to create an Instagram account, so i’ll be able to enjoy in your photos…

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and, you forced me to create an Instagram account, so i’ll be able to enjoy in your photos…
Sorry about that. I created one just for this trip too and I'm already unsure about it. The Flickr album referenced in the first post is where most of my focus will go. Especially when we get to Scandinavia.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
I think it is impossible to plan a firm route at this time of year – and we were very aware of that – for us its the adventurous element to this trip. A big reason we use hotels.com is that it allows us very late cancelling of accomodation – if we need to replan at short notice due to realities on the ground.

We're prepared to adapt as conditions require.
One thing that crossed my mind to tell you, is that there are two "main" roads from Oslo to Trondheim, and it might be significant which route you take depending on the weatherconditions.

On the map below, I've marked out rather crudly what i mean by this. On any map of Norway you'll find that "Road A" is considered the main road and also therefore all sign to "Trondheim" will route you this way, and it has to be said that this route is definitely the more scenic one of the two, and would therefore probably be your main choice anyway. The reason i mention it is that "Road B" (grey line starting just north of Elverum and reconnecting again with main road at Tynset), while not being the most scenic route, it is the route that most locals use and also more importantly it is the route you should take if the weather is bad. As "Route A" goes over a mountain pass that is well known for having "challenging" weather conditions in winter.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 Northbound_route

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Also, it's always amazing to me how many Norwegian (or more correctly Old Norse) words have familiar spellings as Irish/Gaelic due to our shared Viking heritage. Dublin being founded by the Vikings in 841 AD.
Agreed. It is fascinating :)

I've been to the british isles many times, in most cases to England and Wales, but not to Ireland...so far. Hope to change that in the future :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you @lpher for your route advice – very helpful and relevant for us on our route.