PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
It’s even cheaper if you are charging at home.
overnight fee 0,05€, daylight 0,11….so here’s my math:
average consumption: 24kwh/100km * 0,05€ = 1,2€… or *0,11€ =2.64€ for 100km.
Compared that with 8 liter of diesel/100km = 12€, or up to ten times more expensive.
Yes, that’s more or less true everywhere (US too, it seems from his message). Average in Europe was ca 0,21 eur (fully loaded, household rate) in 2020 (https://strom-report.de/electricity-prices-europe/), I guess with the most recent price hikes it’s probably higher than that (I honestly ignore what it is in CH).
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
US home/residential electricity prices tend to work out to about EV $0.02-$0.10/mile driven (wide regional variations) vs. about $0.18-$0.22/mile gasoline per-mile driven (28 mpg and $5.2x gallon US/California gas prices)

Tesla Superchargers are about $0.28-$0.32/kWh and Electrify America is $0.31-$0.41/kWh depending on your contract/account-type - others networks are same or more, but not often less…

gotta charge at home for any real savings, and I ignore fast charging prices when I’m traveling and just focus on the fact that I’m saving sooooo much time and mentally budget that as what I’m paying for…

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have to say Tiger balm, I think your forward planning and organisation are outstanding.

Does/did your occupation require meticulous planning.....or is it just how you are wired?
Just interested, as you seem to enjoy overcoming the challenges.

Feel free not to answer if you don't want to. ?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have to say Tiger balm, I think your forward planning and organisation are outstanding.

Does/did your occupation require meticulous planning.....or is it just how you are wired?
Just interested, as you seem to enjoy overcoming the challenges.

Feel free not to answer if you don't want to. ?

Thanks @Fish Fingers for the complements – it is much appreciated. To answer your question, probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

In my day job I am a software engineer that is increasingly sliding over towards management. I started a SAAS business a few years ago with a few friends and we sold it to a medium sized global business just before the pandemic. As we're spread across three timezones (Australia, Europe and US), being timely and precise is important on a daily basis.

In terms of these road-trips – my co-driver (wife – who is also a software engineer) and I purchased the car explicitly for this purpose. It was never going to be just a daily driver (we WFH or commute by public transport) or an A to B machine. We were looking for a new adventure and they are a little tricky to find today in advanced economies like Europe. It was then that we thought about EV road-trips. They could be interesting and challenging!

Drive between Dublin and Athens – in an ICE car – main thought that jumps into your head would be – the length of the journey. But do it in a EV. Is it possible? I don't know. Here is something you can try thats layered on top of European normality that is anything but normal. And from that the interest and the idea was born.

One year ago, I didn't know a kW from a kWh. What the difference was between AC or DC charging. Why did I sometimes have to bring a cable and otherwise there seemed to be a cable hanging from the charger. That has been its own journey!

We knew from the start that the actual "driving the trip" was going to be an exercise in executing on the plan. That planning the trip was going to be an integral part of the experience and you couldn't divorce it from the actual driving.

Approached with this mindset brings two elements: firstly, the trip itself lasts longer – this one has been a kind of pandemic lockdown hobby for over a year. Secondly, its a great feeling when something you planned a few months ago in the comfort of your home – works out a few thousand kilometres – on the day.

An example of this was the destination chargers at our current hotel in Mo i Rama.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51885673646_dd1619d1c0_4k

I couldn't find out too much about them – but I did manage to locate a picture on the internet with someone standing beside them.

Zooming in on the charger (and ignoring the subject of the picture!) I could find out what random charging service seemed to be supporting them – signed up – put my payment details against it – and stored away in our vast array of Apple Notes – a copy of the "how to start a charge" instructions that we gleamed from that picture – and translated ahead of time from Norwegian.

So last night, after a long day, when all of the above worked out and we "got our destination charge" – there was a heck of a lot of detective work and discovery that went on ahead of time to make sure that all happened easily – and that gives us joy!

No standing around in minus 5 degrees trying to download an app from the app store and trying to wrangle in our sign up details!

If we make it look easy – it is solely down to the planning.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You can't speed in Norway - we can't in CH. Many similarities.Here worst offenders (e.g. very high speed) are fined a % of their annual household income up to 10% + a long driving ban (up to 2 years) + loss of car/impounded. Repeating offenders are not only hit financially, but can also be rewarded with jail time (and in certain cases can't be bailed or convert into a fine).
Yeah, I was speeding 56km/h in town with 50km/h limit. Half a year later they pulled me out at the airport: Either go to prison or pay 200 CHF. Rough stuff...

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks @Fish Fingers for the complements – it is much appreciated. To answer your question, probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

In my day job I am a software engineer that is increasingly sliding over towards management. I started a SAAS business a few years ago with a few friends and we sold it to a medium sized global business just before the pandemic. As we're spread across three timezones (Australia, Europe and US), being timely and precise is important on a daily basis.

In terms of these road-trips – my co-driver (wife – who is also a software engineer) and I purchased the car explicitly for this purpose. It was never going to be just a daily driver (we WFH or commute by public transport) or an A to B machine. We were looking for a new adventure and they are a little tricky to find today in advanced economies like Europe. It was then that we thought about EV road-trips. They could be interesting and challenging!

Drive between Dublin and Athens – in an ICE car – main thought that jumps into your head would be – the length of the journey. But do it in a EV. Is it possible? I don't know. Here is something you can try thats layered on top of European normality that is anything but normal. And from that the interest and the idea was born.

One year ago, I didn't know a kW from a kWh. What the difference was between AC or DC charging. Why did I sometimes have to bring a cable and otherwise there seemed to be a cable hanging from the charger. That has been its own journey!

We knew from the start that the actual "driving the trip" was going to be an exercise in executing on the plan. That planning the trip was going to be an integral part of the experience and you couldn't divorce it from the actual driving.

Approached with this mindset brings two elements: firstly, the trip itself lasts longer – this one has been a kind of pandemic lockdown hobby for over a year. Secondly, its a great feeling when something you planned a few months ago in the comfort of your home – works out a few thousand kilometres – on the day.

An example of this was the destination chargers at our current hotel in Mo i Rama.

51885673646_dd1619d1c0_4k.jpg

I couldn't find out too much about them – but I did manage to locate a picture on the internet with someone standing beside them.

Zooming in on the charger (and ignoring the subject of the picture!) I could find out what random charging service seemed to be supporting them – signed up – put my payment details against it – and stored away in our vast array of Apple Notes – a copy of the "how to start a charge" instructions that we gleamed from that picture – and translated ahead of time from Norwegian.

So last night, after a long day, when all of the above worked out and we "got our destination charge" – there was a heck of a lot of detective work and discovery that went on ahead of time to make sure that all happened easily – and that gives us joy!

No standing around in minus 5 degrees trying to download an app from the app store and trying to wrangle in our sign up details!

If we make it look easy – it is solely down to the planning.
That all makes perfect sense - and a great idea.
The best use of a Taycan I have seen.

True with everything in life about planning though....
I can't believe how dis-organised a lot of people are and how much more difficult it then makes their life.

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
I love this thread! If you need anything, make sure to let us Norwegians know and we can probably help you one way or the other.

Near Bergen I am WFH as a SE so if you need anything here, at any hours during the day, let me know !

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 8: Mo i Rana (Norway) -> Bodø (Norway) ❄

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 05.31.55

The breakfast in our 3-star Scandic Meyergården (in Mo i Rana) was another winner and we packed up our fully charged car shortly before 09.00.

Checking both the weather forecast and the government traffic report website, things were looking much better than yesterday and the route was clear and open.

Still, we filled our flasks with hot water to make warm drinks should we get stuck or in a queue along our journey – nobody ever regrets being too prepared when something adverse happens.

Leaving town, it is always amazing to us to see so much snow pilled up on the side of the road within the urban areas.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887360106_b9a0f34e57_4k

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888018050_e1a637f8c3_4k

We continued north along the now familiar E6 and marvelled at seeing blue sky and sun for the first time in many days.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888027840_d1346d19c9_4k

Just because the area can be unpredictable – especially considering yesterday's closures and column driving – we stopped at Storforshei for a quick top-up and comfort break.

Having such a full battery increases our confidence that should weather turn we'll have the resources to continue (including waiting for columns to form while keeping air-conditioning running, etc).

This was our first time using the Recharge network, but all worked okay using the Fortum Charge & Drive RFID token we carry.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887706739_01dd7965f2_4k

In this region, you want very accurate mapping of chargers – they could be buried under a mountain of snow!

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51886422367_d5cc738502_4k

After our top-up we continued northwards along the E6 and started our climb over the Saltfjellet – which rises to just under 700 meters – not the highest – but unpredictable this far north. Thankfully, as forecast we were experiencing pristine weather as we climbed up the pass.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888042505_737801b49d_3k

Shortly afterwards, we crossed – the invisible line that is the Arctic Circle – something that has been the focus of our trip – and continued onto the more tourist friendly stop that is the Arctic Circle Centre.

The centre is closed (as we expected) during winter but still makes a good photo opportunity.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887485108_6c42497581_4k

And the – "we drove from Dublin to the Arctic Circle" – proof shot:

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887732794_0ce46ce5b2_4k

Unfortunately the snow was so deep that we couldn't walk closer to get better photographs. A symptom of the heavy snowfalls that Norway experiences in February.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888059590_79a7892c17_4k

Coming down the other side of Saltfjellet – we stopped at Saltdal truck stop for some lunch baguettes and our first look at a Norwegian Bear!

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887743054_2ff8389ae0_4k

We were impressed to see a ton of Tesla Superchargers at such a remote place. Looking forward to getting access to them in the future!

After leaving Saltdal, our car crossed over the 30,000 km mark – with the "Internal Cabin Air Filter" being the only item showing up requiring replacement using the Smart Service "app" on the PCM. Anyways, we've it booked in for service when we get back to Ireland.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887501418_e43325074c_4k

We have started to acclimatise to being in Norway – we now think "its fast enough" when we see 90 km/h limits!

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887504588_b7a189f1a6_4k

We continued along the road until Fauske and for the first time in days, turned off the E6 – heading west towards the sea – for Bodø.

We knew our hotel tonight didn't offer destination charging – so we pulled into a 300 kW Circle K branded charger just outside the town to bring our battery up to 80%. Our plan is to stop again here tomorrow morning to top it up fully before we head back along the peninsula to re-join the E6.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51886464607_5b60696402_4k

We arrived at our hotel in Bodø a little earlier than usual – which is great – as it gives us more time for rest after some long days.

With the arctic circle behind us – our focus turns to the northern lights/aurora borealis – and for that our journey tomorrow takes us – as it has done for some time – further north – deeper into the arctic.

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Storforshei, Norway78%95%14.06€6.990h 20m-5.016DC 50 kWRecharge
Namsskogan, Norway42%89%43.11€25.660h 33m-1.033DC 300 kWCircle K

Today we did 240 km over 6:05 hours, with an average speed of 47 km/h, consuming 25.2 kWh/100km.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Half-way point (ish)

We're roughly half way through this road trip. We both thank you all for the feedback, encouragement, comments and DMs. Especially all the offers of help from the Norwegian's in this community – the hospitality we've felt since arriving here has been unbelievable.

We're enjoying sharing this trip with each of you and hope that you are finding it informative.

A reminder that we're posting some additional images of our trip on this Instagram hashtag https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/taycantothearctic/ and that all the images posted here are available in full resolution and color depth (with EXIF info) at this Flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/194883528@N06/albums/72177720296472072

A Porsche isn't for the garage. Get out there!

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51887562216_0f431a324b_4k
Not a garage queen by Tigerbalm, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Driving across the Arctic Circle

A raw clip of what the experience was like driving across the Arctic Circle today.

(Choose highest quality full screen experience your device supports to get the best sense of what it was like for us)

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
This is the "mic drop" of all road trips.

If there is such a thing of being made an honorary Viking, I think you and your wife have satisfied all of the criteria. You guys may need to return via Gibraltar to thaw a little.

Be safe out there!
Sponsored