daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
screen shot from the “compass” app on an iphone will show your long/lat to record your accomplishment
Sponsored

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
screen shot from the “compass” app on an iphone will show your long/lat to record your accomplishment
Good idea!

We took this as we crossed the arctic circle line as outlined on Apple Maps – which is a few km south of where the "official" tourist stop/centre is.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888678380_ebd69d5796_3k

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You actually cross it three times – once heading south – which is when we snapped the image above – cause the first crossing took us by surprise and they are not marked on the road side.

The road around there is winding around mountains!

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 00.41.38

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just how far north are we really?

Norway's geography is very deceptive. It's a crazy tall (but relatively thin) country and the usual Mercator projection can make it seem smaller (or not as tall) than it really is.

I find comparing our latitude with similar in Canada gives a better sense of just how far north we are – and are heading.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 00.47.35

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
EPIC!

thank you so much for sharing - I’m enjoying your posts immensely.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
@tigerbalm

Sir, you have driven much further in my country Norway, than I ever have. It is extremely embarrassing to say, but I haven’t been further north than Trondheim. I hereby degrade myself from the Viking I thought I was, to "Viking-light", until my frayed reputation is restored. I am ashamed, and admit I really need to pull myself together now! :facepalm:

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
It's a crazy tall (but relatively thin) country and the usual Mercator projection can make it seem smaller (or not as tall) as it really is.
Yes the Mercator projection was a European ego thing!!! Look at a world map with a Gall-Peter projection (though also flawed) and you see how insignificant we are in Europe :)

NeilJ

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT (Taycan 4S - sold), VW ID3
Country flag
Thanks @Fish Fingers for the complements – it is much appreciated. To answer your question, probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

In my day job I am a software engineer that is increasingly sliding over towards management. I started a SAAS business a few years ago with a few friends and we sold it to a medium sized global business just before the pandemic. As we're spread across three timezones (Australia, Europe and US), being timely and precise is important on a daily basis.

In terms of these road-trips – my co-driver (wife – who is also a software engineer) and I purchased the car explicitly for this purpose. It was never going to be just a daily driver (we WFH or commute by public transport) or an A to B machine. We were looking for a new adventure and they are a little tricky to find today in advanced economies like Europe. It was then that we thought about EV road-trips. They could be interesting and challenging!

Drive between Dublin and Athens – in an ICE car – main thought that jumps into your head would be – the length of the journey. But do it in a EV. Is it possible? I don't know. Here is something you can try thats layered on top of European normality that is anything but normal. And from that the interest and the idea was born.

One year ago, I didn't know a kW from a kWh. What the difference was between AC or DC charging. Why did I sometimes have to bring a cable and otherwise there seemed to be a cable hanging from the charger. That has been its own journey!

We knew from the start that the actual "driving the trip" was going to be an exercise in executing on the plan. That planning the trip was going to be an integral part of the experience and you couldn't divorce it from the actual driving.

Approached with this mindset brings two elements: firstly, the trip itself lasts longer – this one has been a kind of pandemic lockdown hobby for over a year. Secondly, its a great feeling when something you planned a few months ago in the comfort of your home – works out a few thousand kilometres – on the day.

An example of this was the destination chargers at our current hotel in Mo i Rama.

51885673646_dd1619d1c0_4k.jpg

I couldn't find out too much about them – but I did manage to locate a picture on the internet with someone standing beside them.

Zooming in on the charger (and ignoring the subject of the picture!) I could find out what random charging service seemed to be supporting them – signed up – put my payment details against it – and stored away in our vast array of Apple Notes – a copy of the "how to start a charge" instructions that we gleamed from that picture – and translated ahead of time from Norwegian.

So last night, after a long day, when all of the above worked out and we "got our destination charge" – there was a heck of a lot of detective work and discovery that went on ahead of time to make sure that all happened easily – and that gives us joy!

No standing around in minus 5 degrees trying to download an app from the app store and trying to wrangle in our sign up details!

If we make it look easy – it is solely down to the planning.
I agree totally - the forward planning (provided you have the time) is a big part of the fun of a roadtrip - and makes it last longer!

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Charging Infrastructure in Norway

It's not the availability, it's not the kilowatts, it's not even the great pricing. It's that every charger in Norway has long-ass cables attached that can actually reach the cars!

In particular as our DC/CCS charging port – is on the "wrong side" – compared to locals.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sir, you have driven much further in my country Norway, than I ever have. It is extremely embarrassing to say, but I haven’t been further north than Trondheim. I hereby degrade myself from the Viking I thought I was, to "Viking-light", until my frayed reputation is restored. I am ashamed, and admit I really need to pull myself together now! :facepalm:
I'd love to hear how the Turbo S compares consumption wise in similar conditions! Especially as I am considering one! Hint, hint :)

aatothek

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E92 M3, S6 AVANT C7, Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
Just how far north are we really?

Norway's geography is very deceptive. It's a crazy tall (but relatively thin) country and the usual Mercator projection can make it seem smaller (or not as tall) as it really is.

I find comparing our latitude with similar in Canada gives a better sense of just how far north we are – and are heading.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 00.47.35.png
Reminds me of that epic Billy Connolly sketch about the length of Norway where he asks - if you were to tip Norway up on it's southernmost point and allow it to fall forward in a southern direction, where would it's northernmost point land? Everyone scratches their heads and guess France/Spain and the like, until Billy loudly announces "Morocco!"
?
A cracker!

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 9: Bodø (Norway) -> Narvik (Norway)

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 06.35.01

After a quick but tasty breakfast at our hotel, we packed up the car and headed out of Bodø on a crisp and clear morning. As our car was at 84% battery level, we decided that we wouldn't need to stop at the Circle K outside of town and would instead make our way back to Fauske and the E6.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889408373_3dd7d14b03_4k

As we were driving along in well below zero temperatures, we noticed that our battery didn't appear to be warming up at all – and remained at minus 1 degrees itself. Usually you'd see some warming as the drivetrain pulled energy, We shrugged it off and didn't think too much more about it.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888403312_9042a7e3b2_4k

As outside temperatures dropped to minus 10 degrees and lower, we noticed the air conditioning unit struggling to maintain cabin temperature.

For the first time since we got the car, we switched off "eco" mode and that quickly resolved the issue with a slight increase in energy consumption. Later, when outside temperatures increased to minus 6 we reverted back to "eco" mode and it handled it fine.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889456603_7b35a8716d_4k

We arrived at our only planned charge of the day – a 50 kW Mer unit at Kobbelv Vertshus. It was here that we noticed the battery temperature was still at minus 1 and we were only accepting in power at 18kW from the charger. I had forgotten to add the waypoint as a charging stop and no battery pre-conditioning had occurred.

Normally this isn't a big deal for a 50 kW charger but with outside temps, our battery seemed to be staying unusually cold. The battery temperature gradually rose to a more normal 25 degrees and energy flowed at a more acceptable 40 kW.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889656934_fa22801d5f_4k

As we continued along the frozen E6 conditions got noticeably more arctic looking.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889367486_a49e232136_4k

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889982530_3bf1364ee8_4k

We headed towards our only road ferry connection of this trip at Drag. Normally you'd get the ferry at Bognes, but this is closed for next few months as work is being done on the quays there.

On arriving at Drag, the ferry arrived a few mins later and we were in the queue for boarding. We were impressed that our toll road registration for foreign cars at EPASS24 was recognised and we didn't have to pay by card or cash.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889307721_040964c5ba_4k

On the other side of the crossing we stopped at a fjord for some snaps.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889653434_49848c5511_4k

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51888383902_1ce7485932_4k

The Leica Q2 camera is good, isn't it? The photographer has to improve – I'm just starting that journey.

And continued on to Narvik – our home tonight – plugging in to the hotels 22kW charger for a three and a half hour top up. The 22 kW Porsche Charger freeing up the spaces for others faster than if we hadn't optioned it.

Porsche Taycan Taycan To The Arctic Circle Road Trip 2022 51889433918_56e0ad8d47_4k

Tomorrow we head – you guessed it – north – and very remote – away from the larger towns we've been hopping between – for some dedicated Northern Lights hunting.

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Kobbelv Vertshus, Norway54%81%23.0 kWh€13.530h 39m-4.5-1DC 50 kWMer
Narvik, Norway28%100%60.3€0.003h 30m-2.523AC 22 kWHotel

Today we did 285 km over 7:02 hours, with an average speed of 41 km/h, consuming 24.3 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Congratulations on your epic achievement, and thanks again for your updates, which I really look forward to viewing!
Sponsored