tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Thanks @tigerbalm for such a great trip report. And also sharing the background work you have done for this trip. I wish I had the patience to do all the planning and also the statistics. I can do the plan in ABRP and save that etc but all the other documents are amazing.
Thank you @Scandinavian for the kind words – really appreciated.

One question about the free destination Charging you have reported. I can see the kWh down to decimals, but where have you been able to find such detailed information? Understand it from DC chargers with displays and Tesla SuC via app perhaps, but destination chargers???
Great question. It's estimated based on the observed start and end state-of-charge and the size of the usable battery pack. So defo imperfect, but hopefully a reasonable guess.

We built a simple formula into our planning numbers sheet.

Porsche Taycan Taycan to Tromsø Road Trip – Winter 2023 (Arctic Norway) Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 18.52.53

Secondly I am surprised you could not down load the Circle K app. I could get that with my Apple ID being in the U.K.??
This will prompt us to look again – but when we checked before we headed off – their new app wasn't on the Irish app store anyways.

Not sure if it works, but I also used to have a small tag that was active. Need to try later in the year how it works.
We used that for last years trip – and we tried it on this trip – just to check if it still worked and it did not. Charger responded with a Authentication/Payment failure – even though our payment details in the website that we used previously was still accurate.

Site we used to use: https://circlek.customer.virtaglobal.com/?login=true#home

Porsche Taycan Taycan to Tromsø Road Trip – Winter 2023 (Arctic Norway) Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 18.56.38

Last edited:
Reactions: B61
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any measurable reduction in tire tread depth after your trip? I mean, since you obviously pushed it a bit both on the Autobahn and such?
Actually haven't checked them. Will do it though. We'll likely be rotating them onto the summer tyres at the end of this month. Though light snow is predicted for Ireland tonight – would be great to still have some use for them on!

Also, was it necessary to adjust tire pressure as you moved from high-speed Autobahn driving, to the arctic chill...?
We mention a little about this in the first post. Our strategy was to run the tyres a little bit of a higher then recommend pressure (by only 0.1 or 0.2 bar) when in central European/Ireland temperatures – which then lowered to the perfect pressures with the lower temps of the arctic – without having to adjust anything.

We did keep an eye each day on the pressures – just to make sure they remained at correct values. When we got off the boat at Kiel in Germany – with the raise in temps – the tyres again raised in pressure by the 0.1-0.2 bar – meaning we lost no air during the trip.

We were happy with this strategy and it seemed to work out well. We're no experts though – so very much open to suggestions/guidance for future trips.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems pretty safe to nominate @tigerbalm and his co-driver in the category "Europeean Taycan Road Warrior of The Year"... Thanks for taking us along!
Longest km's driven per weak northern lights pictures of the year award!

But seriously, thank you!
Sponsored