Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been a Porsche enthusiast for a while or at least I was before I purchased a Taycan Turbo 2020 on 12/28/2020. My experience started being awesome as one could expect owning a Porsche! I loved the drive, the electronics, the sound system, all the options, etc... Very unexpectedly... two weeks into the ownership the issues started... I started getting this "Electrical system error Stop vehicle in a safe place" message when trying to start the car and the car would not start at all. At first I didn't think much of it after leasing many different German brands for over 25 years. So, I Googled the error and read that a simple switch off, lock the car and wait 15 minutes would clear the error; so, I did that and voila the error was clear and the car worked fine which I was OK since I had similar issues with other German brands many times. The issue started showing more often after a few days until about 3 weeks of ownership with 552 miles in the odometer the car would no longer start and had to be towed to a Porsche dealer. The tow truck driver tried to jump start the car 12v battery with no luck and we had to push it to move it around so he could get it on to the truck.
At first the dealer would not even give me a loaner; I quickly complained with Porsche NA and a Taycan 4S loaner was provided to me the next day. The dealer claimed diagnosis for these cars is slow and they had to be in close contact with Porsche of Germany. Three weeks after initial diagnose, the dealer sent me a text message indicating that a decision was made to replace the High Voltage battery on my Taycan and the order was placed with no ETA of deliver, but they would let me know.
I contacted Porsche of NA again and they told me I would get my car back some time in late March or April which I said it was unacceptable. I requested Porsche to at least take over my car payments while my Taycan was being repaired since apparently it was going to take around three months. So far today I still have not heard from Porsche NA or the Porsche of Atlanta dealer. May be I have been too patient and too nice with them, I have not called many times and I have not raised my voice even once and I have been very polite so far.

I have to say that I am a bit scared about driving the Taycan 4S loaner I have, but so far it is operating good. It had 200 miles when I got it and it now has a little over 1K. So far the only issues I had with this one was the trunk not always closing and while charging it, due to the car not releasing the charging cable. So far I have been able to get it released by pushing the main car start/stop button a couple of times which seems to reset the charging port and allows the release button to operate. The 4S loaner I have is pretty basic and has almost no options and less things to break.

I am posting this for two reasons:
One to inform the public about the issues that current owners like me are having with this product and weigh these real issues when making the decision of buying one. I deeply regret my decision of buying this car and I will do all that is possible in the law to return it.
The second reason I post this is to know if I am the only one person in this position or there are others. I read many bad stories and technical issues in this forum about this car that many users are having, but I am not sure how everyone feels about this, have we been taken advantage of by Porsche and should get together and do something about it or is this a normal situation and we should just accept it and go with the flow?
This literally just happened to me about an hour ago! I was driving on the Freeway in Los Angeles and I got the error message...”Motor control error stop Vehicle in a safe place”. The car started slowing down drastically and it felt as if I was driving on a really bumpy road (I was on a smoothly paved freeway). The car came to a dead stop in the middle of the freeway! Thankfully, traffic wasn’t as bad and we were able to turn the car off and turn it back on and was able to drive home safely. I’ve had this car for 2 weeks, I’ll be taking it to Porsche tomorrow morning (It’s 9:30pm currently). I’m afraid to drive it again! This is definitely a dangerous issue to be having. Someone needs to do something. I love this car, but this needs to be rectified quickly!
Sponsored

OP
OP

iltaycan

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This literally just happened to me about an hour ago! I was driving on the Freeway in Los Angeles and I got the error message...”Motor control error stop Vehicle in a safe place”. The car started slowing down drastically and it felt as if I was driving on a really bumpy road (I was on a smoothly paved freeway). The car came to a dead stop in the middle of the freeway! Thankfully, traffic wasn’t as bad and we were able to turn the car off and turn it back on and was able to drive home safely. I’ve had this car for 2 weeks, I’ll be taking it to Porsche tomorrow morning (It’s 9:30pm currently). I’m afraid to drive it again! This is definitely a dangerous issue to be having. Someone needs to do something. I love this car, but this needs to be rectified quickly!
This sounds like a different problem than the one I had in my car. There are other drivers that had the same issue you’re describing, maybe get in touch with them and hopefully get some more insight. Mine with the “Electrical system error, stop car in a safe place” ended up being the main HV battery. Good luck!

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
This sounds like a different problem than the one I had in my car. There are other drivers that had the same issue you’re describing, maybe get in touch with them and hopefully get some more insight. Mine with the “Electrical system error, stop car in a safe place” ended up being the main HV battery. Good luck!
I think I may have misread your post! Thank you! Let me take a look at the other posts

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
Have you filed a complaint with nhtsa? If enough people report the car stopping dead in traffic there will be action.

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you filed a complaint with nhtsa? If enough people report the car stopping dead in traffic there will be action.
I'm literally about to do that as we speak another member of this thread told me about it. Something needs to be done about this issue

TaycanRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi, iltaycan, just wondering if your electrical issue got resolved, or if you proceeded with the lemon law? My 2020 Turbo just had 3 of these "Electrical System Errors" and has now been in the dealership for a week trying to get diagnosis.

iltaycan
Sponsored