NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If I did the math right, the first 40 miles (100% -> 72%) consumed 28% of the useable battery capacity (83.7 kWh) or 58.6 kWh/100 miles. That was normal driving, likely with a cold battery and heating the cabin. The range test part of the trip (in range mode with a warmer battery) consumed 62% of the battery (72% -> 10%) or 29.5 kWh/100 miles. That second part of the trip would tell you 100% -> 0% range, starting with a warmed battery, driving in range mode should give you 283 miles. If you were to give yourself a bit of buffer - e.g. using 85% of the available capacity, that's 241 miles.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
If I did the math right, the first 40 miles (100% -> 72%) consumed 28% of the useable battery capacity (83.7 kWh) or 58.6 kWh/100 miles. That was normal driving, likely with a cold battery and heating the cabin. The range test part of the trip (in range mode with a warmer battery) consumed 62% of the battery (72% -> 10%) or 29.5 kWh/100 miles. That second part of the trip would tell you 100% -> 0% range, starting with a warmed battery, driving in range mode should give you 283 miles. If you were to give yourself a bit of buffer - e.g. using 85% of the available capacity, that's 241 miles.
Indeed.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
...which brings me back to my bug-bear - how do you warm the battery before getting going? So far, I've only seen the battery (slowly) warm slightly as a consequence of charging. So if you are not charging extensively just before leaving, you end up with a cold-is battery, and the first 40 miles of your journey has huge consumption, meaning you get no where near 280 miles on a full charge in cold weather.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I would suggest running the cabin heater while car is plugged in and charging…that should place demand on the battery and both the current draw & charging will heat the battery.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
...which brings me back to my bug-bear - how do you warm the battery before getting going? So far, I've only seen the battery (slowly) warm slightly as a consequence of charging. So if you are not charging extensively just before leaving, you end up with a cold-is battery, and the first 40 miles of your journey has huge consumption, meaning you get no where near 280 miles on a full charge in cold weather.
1. If you navigate to a known DCFC then the car will automatically preheat the battery.
2. If you have Sport Chrono then put car is Sport+ for last 20min if trip. remember that it lowers your suspension but you could override that and put it back into normal when you arrive and plug in. In Sport Plus the battery will preheat.
3. If you can drive aggressively in sport mode preferably upon arrival or near arrival the battery temperature will climb substantially. Aggressively equals hard accelerations, heartbreaking repeatedly until nauseous.

I personally have good luck with number one and also tried number two successfully as well. Bjørn Nyland videos show #3 but generally on cars that do not instill as much ill effect as the Taycan. Bjørn calls this yo-yoing the car.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@ron_b - I think the question was:

how to I get the battery to temp - prior to driving off in the morning? while still plugged in? so that you get over the inital ‘cost’ of battery warming and cabin heating…

the only way I know to do that is to pre-condition the vehicle via the timer’s profiles…or go sit in the car early and set the cabin temperature and charge it....

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
1. If you navigate to a known DCFC then the car will automatically preheat the battery.
2. If you have Sport Chrono then put car is Sport+ for last 20min if trip. remember that it lowers your suspension but you could override that and put it back into normal when you arrive and plug in. In Sport Plus the battery will preheat.
3. If you can drive aggressively in sport mode preferably upon arrival or near arrival the battery temperature will climb substantially. Aggressively equals hard accelerations, heartbreaking repeatedly until nauseous.

I personally have good luck with number one and also tried number two successfully as well. Bjørn Nyland videos show #3 but generally on cars that do not instill as much ill effect as the Taycan.
I have had good luck with #3 independent of any efforts to pre-heat the battery. Jus sayin...

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would suggest running the cabin heater while car is plugged in and charging…that should place demand on the battery and both the current draw & charging will heat the battery.
That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to move the dial more than a few degrees C for me.
I have had good luck with #3 independent of any efforts to pre-heat the battery. Jus sayin...
Yup, the question was more in relation to pre-heating the battery before getting going. An option that heats the battery when the car is hooked-up to the charger would've been great, so that you don't have to actually have the car charging (for example, if the car is already charged to 85%) to heat the battery. That all said, I will be trying #3 purely in the interests of science.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to move the dial more than a few degrees C for me.

Yup, the question was more in relation to pre-heating the battery before getting going. An option that heats the battery when the car is hooked-up to the charger would've been great, so that you don't have to actually have the car charging (for example, if the car is already charged to 85%) to heat the battery. That all said, I will be trying #3 purely in the interests of science.
Just get a super long charging cable and do some launch controls back and forth in your driveway.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

This is a problem. I know the documentation states that the car should preheat the battery to a certain value when plugged in and using the pre heat function. I have tried this a few times now. I have tried to plug the car in, start preheating in the car once and also via the app once. None of these methods did anything.

I have also tried to heat the battery by setting a timer for pre heating while plugged in. The car had been charged to the desired level overnight, but I wanted to have the battery heated only. To my surprise the car started to charge again in that case plus heating the cabin a nd slightly heating the battery. WHY start charging again. And it seems it will continue to charge to 100% whatever you have set the charge level to?

We should be able to just start preheating the car whether plugged in or not and tha5 should also heat the battery, given you have more than x% battery charge, say 40% or whatever. But Porsche seem to have implemented no battery heat at all if not plugged in and questionable heating, when plugged in.

It would help a lot with range and consumption if this would work correctly

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Indeed, which is not really ''real life'' range... where you sometimes park your car outside in the cold during 6h without being plugged in...

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Definitely suggests warming your Taycan for an hour while still connected to your charger is a good cold-weather trip strategy.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
@ron_b - I think the question was:

how to I get the battery to temp - prior to driving off in the morning? while still plugged in? so that you get over the inital ‘cost’ of battery warming and cabin heating…

the only way I know to do that is to pre-condition the vehicle via the timer’s profiles…or go sit in the car early and set the cabin temperature and charge it....
Use the Connect app to preheat the car (and all four seats) while still connected to the charger an hour before departing. Works well for us without ever going to the garage.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Use the Connect app to preheat the car (and all four seats) while still connected to the charger an hour before departing. Works well for us without ever going to the garage.
Interesting that it works that way. Have you seen that the power is coming from the charger at that stage? That would make a lot of sense!
Sponsored