Taycan Turbo Initial Thoughts

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
Let me start by apologising. Many of the members on here write very well structured and detailed reports, whilst I'm afraid this is going to be a brief stream of consciousness supplemented only with one terrible picture as I wait for the weekend to bring the time to wash the car and take pictures.

After circa 8 months the TT was collected on Tuesday morning and these are my thoughts after approx 200 miles:
  • she is quick - seriously quick. Having come from a 991.1/Panamera/Maserati GT/DB11 I can safely say that this is miles quicker than them all. 70-100 (on private roads of course) is in the blink of an eye and motorbikes off the lights scream off in a blaze of noise and exhaust only to find the Taycan wafting past them. The predictive nature of the power curve means you can nip into a space in moving traffic (safely) in ways that you cannot in an ICE as the turbos might not be spooled etc.
  • sport sound - I love this for B-Road or City Driving. Actually my favourite feature so far, they really put effort into making the sound something enjoyable to listen to. It is surprisingly loud, even in tunnels you can hear it on the outside and it turns heads. Then just switch it off on the motorway. Maybe one day it will get boring, but I bout it.
  • exterior plastic - I did not go for the gloss black as I thought it changed the front lower sides to black - which I think is the whole point of the turbo. The plastic though on the front and especially the back looks bad. Like an 80s Renault. I will speak to valet guy to see if he recommends any "gloss" non-permanent coating that can be safely applied from time-to-time. Has anyone done this?
  • interior - This is not a £130k car interior although everything works very well. The Panamera had the more luxurious interior, although I prefer the two screen set-up in the Taycan. Silly things like the grab handles are SO CHEAP. It is ok, just not "wow". Maybe next time will have to spring for the coloured stitching, or something that lifts it.
  • central screen render. I can see why the render shows chrome lines, it is just how the light hits the edges of the screen. Worry not, they have not put a silver border around the edges.
  • Burmester - great stereo. Clear, thumping bass even at low volume with crystal tone. Worth £3k? Not sure, but I do not regret speccing it (you only regret what you don't have, until you go bankrupt!). The only thing is they could have put more flare into the speaker design. The silver metal speakers in the doors are partially covered by the door bin which looks like an after thought. Easy enough just to stop the bin trim at the speaker. Why not make the speakers on the dash silver also?
  • Dark silver - I like it. Subtle, elevates the interior a little. I would have preferred more gloss black around the place but Porsche seems to be going in the matt-black direction with new switches etc.
  • PCM - no experience of the old one but this works well (coloured icons). Menu lay out is not great and there are two ambient lighting menus in different places, just an illustration that it is a work in progress, but overall a decent 8/10. Android Auto works flawlessly, as does Spotify. Zero issues so far and long may that continue! Why could they not put the car illustration as blue? BMW does this with a bespoke image for each car, this just seems lazy. It is also a reminder every time that I did not spec the Mission Es...
  • Wheels - torn here again. Mission Es with insides painted Gentian would have looked epic. But then I couldn't get the Burmester and massage seats and, perhaps more importantly, the range would be impacted. I do a 220 mile trip to Devon and I think we should just about make it on the 20s but I doubt the 21st would do it. The 20s look good enough, just no wow factor.
  • Massage seats - get them. Like the Panamera, they actually work (unlike BMW's very poor attempts).
  • Charging - for some reason my home charging is maxing-out at 4.3kw even though it should go up to 7kw (and has done with the rental we had before). I have this morning changed the "min charge level" to 85% as perhaps the Taycan slows the charge rate for anything below the min charging level? Any experience/advice here very welcome please as it is frustrating to leave it for 8+ hours to find it has just been trickle charging.
  • Gentian Blue - of everything in the car (I know I said the sound, but I change my answer), this has to be the best feature. It looks gloss blue in the dark and almost purple in the sun. It stands out wonderfully, but just stays on the right side of tasteful and not "showy". Some how the Taycan size/lines suit it perfectly. The 911 is too small to show it off somehow, it looks flat - maybe because it has fewer lines/curves etc. If you are in any doubt versus silver or black (I was), just go Gentian, you will NOT regret it!
    Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo Initial Thoughts Taycan 1
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
  • Charging - for some reason my home charging is maxing-out at 4.3kw even though it should go up to 7kw (and has done with the rental we had before). I have this morning changed the "min charge level" to 85% as perhaps the Taycan slows the charge rate for anything below the min charging level? Any experience/advice here very welcome please as it is frustrating to leave it for 8+ hours to find it has just been trickle charging.
[/QUOTE]
Suggest you borrow someone leases 7kw charger if you can and that should indicate whether its the car or your kit at home. Does your charger (sorry EVSE) have an app that shows its output? (Mine does and the car always gets a little less than the amount the evse is putting out).

I'd been having problems with my own 7kw Wallbox pulsar. Turns out it wasn't the car, or the charger but the voltage being supplied from the grid. After a lot of emails and a complaint to OFGEM, our road has been dug up in a number of places (fortunately not outside my house!) to fix the issue. Hopefully my neighbours won't find out the reason why they can't get their cars on their driveways at the moment - the power company has fixed the cable faults but hasn't come back to fill the holes in :).

Lovely colour btw. I didn't consider as had Aqua (pretty much the same i think) on my panamera for many years.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
[QUOTE="BigBob, post: 159061, member: 5]

Lovely colour btw. I didn't consider as had Aqua (pretty much the same i think) on my panamera for many years.
[/QUOTE]
Aqua's very different. I have it on my 997 and it's "lighter" than Gentian with subtle greeny hints rather than purple.

Aqua's very underrated. But am not sure it would suit the Taycan.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Let me start by apologising. Many of the members on here write very well structured and detailed reports, whilst I'm afraid this is going to be a brief stream of consciousness supplemented only with one terrible picture as I wait for the weekend to bring the time to wash the car and take pictures.

After circa 8 months the TT was collected on Tuesday morning and these are my thoughts after approx 200 miles:
  • she is quick - seriously quick. Having come from a 991.1/Panamera/Maserati GT/DB11 I can safely say that this is miles quicker than them all. 70-100 (on private roads of course) is in the blink of an eye and motorbikes off the lights scream off in a blaze of noise and exhaust only to find the Taycan wafting past them. The predictive nature of the power curve means you can nip into a space in moving traffic (safely) in ways that you cannot in an ICE as the turbos might not be spooled etc.
  • sport sound - I love this for B-Road or City Driving. Actually my favourite feature so far, they really put effort into making the sound something enjoyable to listen to. It is surprisingly loud, even in tunnels you can hear it on the outside and it turns heads. Then just switch it off on the motorway. Maybe one day it will get boring, but I bout it.
  • exterior plastic - I did not go for the gloss black as I thought it changed the front lower sides to black - which I think is the whole point of the turbo. The plastic though on the front and especially the back looks bad. Like an 80s Renault. I will speak to valet guy to see if he recommends any "gloss" non-permanent coating that can be safely applied from time-to-time. Has anyone done this?
  • interior - This is not a £130k car interior although everything works very well. The Panamera had the more luxurious interior, although I prefer the two screen set-up in the Taycan. Silly things like the grab handles are SO CHEAP. It is ok, just not "wow". Maybe next time will have to spring for the coloured stitching, or something that lifts it.
  • central screen render. I can see why the render shows chrome lines, it is just how the light hits the edges of the screen. Worry not, they have not put a silver border around the edges.
  • Burmester - great stereo. Clear, thumping bass even at low volume with crystal tone. Worth £3k? Not sure, but I do not regret speccing it (you only regret what you don't have, until you go bankrupt!). The only thing is they could have put more flare into the speaker design. The silver metal speakers in the doors are partially covered by the door bin which looks like an after thought. Easy enough just to stop the bin trim at the speaker. Why not make the speakers on the dash silver also?
  • Dark silver - I like it. Subtle, elevates the interior a little. I would have preferred more gloss black around the place but Porsche seems to be going in the matt-black direction with new switches etc.
  • PCM - no experience of the old one but this works well (coloured icons). Menu lay out is not great and there are two ambient lighting menus in different places, just an illustration that it is a work in progress, but overall a decent 8/10. Android Auto works flawlessly, as does Spotify. Zero issues so far and long may that continue! Why could they not put the car illustration as blue? BMW does this with a bespoke image for each car, this just seems lazy. It is also a reminder every time that I did not spec the Mission Es...
  • Wheels - torn here again. Mission Es with insides painted Gentian would have looked epic. But then I couldn't get the Burmester and massage seats and, perhaps more importantly, the range would be impacted. I do a 220 mile trip to Devon and I think we should just about make it on the 20s but I doubt the 21st would do it. The 20s look good enough, just no wow factor.
  • Massage seats - get them. Like the Panamera, they actually work (unlike BMW's very poor attempts).
  • Gentian Blue - of everything in the car (I know I said the sound, but I change my answer), this has to be the best feature. It looks gloss blue in the dark and almost purple in the sun. It stands out wonderfully, but just stays on the right side of tasteful and not "showy". Some how the Taycan size/lines suit it perfectly. The 911 is too small to show it off somehow, it looks flat - maybe because it has fewer lines/curves etc. If you are in any doubt versus silver or black (I was), just go Gentian, you will NOT regret it!
    Taycan 1.png
Thanks for the write up. I'm in the same position as you regards the Gentian and the wheels and have pretty much the same opinions, so I think will go in the same direction. I do think Porsche could offer another 20" wheel choice for the Turbo (I'm getting an ST). I'm still tempted on the RS Spyder design wheels (not a fan of Mission E's).

The car looks great and I'm hoping to have as positive experience as you have so far, when I get mine

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Charging - for some reason my home charging is maxing-out at 4.3kw even though it should go up to 7kw
I don’t know what are you using ? Porsche’s mobile charger or some fixed charging unit? Two phases or three phases?
If PMC, you can set appropriate Ampers, of course, based on available installation…

OP
OP

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t know what are you using ? Porsche’s mobile charger or some fixed charging unit? Two phases or three phases?
If PMC, you can set appropriate Ampers, of course, based on available installation…
Using a "Project EV" wall charger. It worked at full power on a Citroen I had rented from OnTo so I think something to do with the car/how the car talks to the charger. Will see.

OP
OP

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. I'm in the same position as you regards the Gentian and the wheels and have pretty much the same opinions, so I think will go in the same direction. I do think Porsche could offer another 20" wheel choice for the Turbo (I'm getting an ST). I'm still tempted on the RS Spyder design wheels (not a fan of Mission E's).

The car looks great and I'm hoping to have as positive experience as you have so far, when I get mine
The Spiders do look nice, seems a reasonable compromise!

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Congrats on the car. I feel the same way about the Gentian. It looks especially nice right now under a nice thick coating of yellow pollen that is currently dominating the NE US.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
After circa 8 months the TT was collected on Tuesday morning and these are my thoughts after approx 200 miles...
Thanks for setting out your thoughts, I'm particularly interested as my CT Turbo has just completed production.
Does yours have electronic steering wheel adjustment? Due to a parts shortage, some have been delivered with manual-only.
Congrats on your car, Gentian was my alternative colour.

OP
OP

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for setting out your thoughts, I'm particularly interested as my CT Turbo has just completed production.
Does yours have electronic steering wheel adjustment? Due to a parts shortage, some have been delivered with manual-only.
Congrats on your car, Gentian was my alternative colour.
Yes, has shipped fully functional, both keys etc. No issues apart from the Burmester 2 week delay. Fingers crossed for fast shipping!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The charger has a 50% and 100% setting, assuming you're using the Porsche charger.
It is on 50% by default. Crank it up!

OP
OP

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still only drawing 4.3kw. Maybe it is a fault with the charger.
Sponsored