Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
summary:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo nearly matches Model 3's range in this test on the Autobahn 1580678025136

here is video:

At 81 mph average for entire trip and as high as 93 mph when they could in 45 degree weather it is amazing that the Taycan is only 3% less than the EPA range.

The performance version of the 3 would have likely had less range.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This is exactly what I was saying.
First gear for ridiculous accelerations.
Second gear for efficiency.

Note that the usable power of the battery of the Taycan is way more (83kWh) than the Model 3 (75kWh) so unfortunately this test doesn't show the Taycan is better but it shows it isn't as bad as EPA rating stated (like we didn't know already...).
I guess a Model S (95 kWh) will still do much better than a Taycan but then again, I'm only interested in performance, not in endurance.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
This is exactly what I was saying.
First gear for ridiculous accelerations.
Second gear for efficiency.

Note that the usable power of the battery of the Taycan is way more (83kWh) than the Model 3 (75kWh) so unfortunately this test doesn't show the Taycan is better but it shows it isn't as bad as EPA rating stated (like we didn't know already...).
I guess a Model S (95 kWh) will still do much better than a Taycan but then again, I'm only interested in performance, not in endurance.
Well, I think the point is that the Tesla range at high speeds is 191km less than the EPA range, whereas the Taycan is only 9km less than EPA estimates. So there is very little reduction in the range with the Taycan but HUGE reduction in the Tesla. And you are right, the efficiency is better at high speeds is most likely because of the 2md gear.

For German drivers this is relevant, but for people in most countries, especially in the USA, its is irrelevant, as the speed limit in use is generally 70mph, or 112km. Commentator thinks speed limit in the USA is 60mph, or 96kmh, but most areas its 70 I'm rural areas and 65 near cities.. Would love to see a 70mph test (112km). Then maybe Tesla will consider a 2nd gear for highway driving if efficiency in highway driving is truly better at 70mph.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
EPA has three methodes:
1. Numbers provided by manufacturers
2. Extended cycle test including temperature and high speed testing.
3. Short cycle test *0,7.

Tesla is #1.
Taycan is #3 but, apparently, it wasn't tested in range mode.
Something like that if I've understand it correctly so it's no surprise the range is that disappointing...
As you can see it's more than ok in the real world.
Sponsored