Taycan Turbo S, minus PCM app; Can I still perform these tasks?

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
Currently driving a 2015 911 Turbo S. A 2021 Taycan Turbo S is on order. It'll arrive in June 2021. While I wait, I'm reading this forum and various reviews, learning more about the Taycan.

One thing I've noticed is that the PCM app ("Connect") seems to be universally despised. The reviews on the Apple App Store are 1-star, almost uniformly. Given the sheer volume of negative comments that have been posted over the last 12+ months, I've come to accept the fact that PCM and it's accompanying app are fundamentally broken and likely won't be fixed anytime soon.

Now, as it turns out, I don't really care about tech gadgetry. Being able to remotely honk the horn, proactively heat/cool the car, open/close the windows, use Apple Play, lock/unlock the doors, and check battery charge level simply aren't important to me. Performance and a fun driving experience are my only concerns, and let's just say after my first test drive, I have no worries in that department. From a tech standpoint, I only want to maintain parity with my 2015, which means:
  • Answer a call on my iPhone using Bluetooth
  • Play (but not necessarily control) music from my iPhone's Spotify app
  • Open my garage door using a button
  • Enter an address into the in-car GPS/nav system and have the car guide me to my destination. If charging stations appear on the map, that's a major plus. If not, not a huge deal; I can use an app called PlugShare for that.
  • Charge my iPhone while driving
...and that's it. That's literally all I need in terms of tech. Can I totally ignore the failed PCM Connect app and perform these basic tasks in-car?
Sponsored

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Currently driving a 2015 911 Turbo S. A 2021 Taycan Turbo S is on order. It'll arrive in June 2021. While I wait, I'm reading this forum and various reviews, learning more about the Taycan.

One thing I've noticed is that the PCM app ("Connect") seems to be universally despised. The reviews on the Apple App Store are 1-star, almost uniformly. Given the sheer volume of negative comments that have been posted over the last 12+ months, I've come to accept the fact that PCM and it's accompanying app are fundamentally broken and likely won't be fixed anytime soon.

Now, as it turns out, I don't really care about tech gadgetry. Being able to remotely honk the horn, proactively heat/cool the car, open/close the windows, use Apple Play, lock/unlock the doors, and check battery charge level simply aren't important to me. Performance and a fun driving experience are my only concerns, and let's just say after my first test drive, I have no worries in that department. From a tech standpoint, I only want to maintain parity with my 2015, which means:
  • Enter an address into the in-car GPS/nav system and have the car guide me to my destination. If charging stations appear on the map, that's a major plus. If not, not a huge deal; I can use an app called PlugShare for that.
...and that's it. That's literally all I need in terms of tech. Can I totally ignore the failed PCM Connect app and perform these basic tasks in-car?
Yes. The car will provide all these features just as your current 911 does. The PCM functions do not seem to affect any of these very basic needs. They all work for me and I never use Porsche Connect, even though I have the App on my iPhone.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. The car will provide all these features just as your current 911 does. The PCM functions do not seem to affect any of these very basic needs. They all work for me and I never use Porsche Connect, even though I have the App on my iPhone.
Excellent. Thank you. That's the answer I was hoping for.

Totally unrelated question: The first thing I typically do after getting a new car is get a radar/laser detector installed. Historically, the installer asks which spare button(s) should be used to perform critical RD operations, like temporarily deactivating the laser jamming signal, for example.

The 911 has a few spare buttons to choose from for this sort of situation, whereas the Taycan seems to follow a distinctly anti-button design aesthetic. Does the Taycan offer anything similar to the unassigned buttons in the 911? I meant to look during my test drive but it totally slipped my mind.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Excellent. Thank you. That's the answer I was hoping for.

Totally unrelated question: The first thing I typically do after getting a new car is get a radar/laser detector installed. Historically, the installer asks which spare button(s) should be used to perform critical RD operations, like temporarily deactivating the laser jamming signal, for example.

The 911 has a few spare buttons to choose from for this sort of situation, whereas the Taycan seems to follow a distinctly anti-button design aesthetic. Does the Taycan offer anything similar to the unassigned buttons in the 911? I meant to look during my test drive but it totally slipped my mind.
These threads credit to @Vim Schrotnock may help.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/radar-laser-detectors-hardwired.1400/post-51402
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/radar-laser-detectors-hardwired.1400/post-51407

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

Yes, my Ota is faulthy again after already been replaced. Porsche dealer now submiited a ticket with Porsche Ag. While waiting on a solution I have asked my Taycan back....because it drives great. I love the driving ( I got as loaner a brand new 911 turbo s convertible... I liked it for a hour but then already wanted my TTS back)

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, my Ota is faulthy again after already been replaced. Porsche dealer now submiited a ticket with Porsche Ag. While waiting on a solution I have asked my Taycan back....because it drives great. I love the driving ( I got as loaner a brand new 911 turbo s convertible... I liked it for a hour but then already wanted my TTS back)
Man, that's sad to hear.

The dramatic drop in quality is making me question whether or not it's wise to move forward with the Taycan at all. My salesman tells me that if I change my mind any time before or up to the date the car arrives at the dealer (about four months from now), I can get a full refund of my deposit. Perhaps I'll take him up on that.

Looks like I've got some decision making to do. Sucks because I was so excited about this car.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Man, that's sad to hear.

The dramatic drop in quality is making me question whether or not it's wise to move forward with the Taycan at all. My salesman tells me that if I change my mind any time before or up to the date the car arrives at the dealer (about four months from now), I can get a full refund of my deposit. Perhaps I'll take him up on that.

Looks like I've got some decision making to do. Sucks because I was so excited about this car.
For me the decision would be easy. I still would take the Taycan even with its flaws. These will be solved ( mainly software related I think). Never thought I would prefer the TTS over a brand new 911 Turbo S.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For me the decision would be easy. I still would take the Taycan even with its flaws. These will be solved ( mainly software related I think). Never thought I would prefer the TTS over a brand new 911 Turbo S.
Yeah, same here man. One drive is all it took for me to choose the Taycan over a new 911 Turbo S.

I'll keep an eye on this forum and the reviews to see if things improve re: the electronics.
Sponsored