Taycan Turbo S Narrated Production Video - Inside the Factory | Full Documentary

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have watched many assembly line videos most twists only modest content. This one far exceeds my expectations of how much Porsche would allowed to be advertised. I will warn you of two things, it's 48 minutes in length and they mispronounce Porsche hundreds of times. Still if you can forgive that I think you will see many interesting features of the assembly.

One favorite quote while listening speaking of the aerodynamics and low center of gravity was at 9:20:
Our customers sometimes drive a bit faster and good aerodynamics and a good drag coefficient are than absolutely crucial
Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Inside the Factory | Full Documentary
WELT Documentary

Screenshot of plugs used on Taycan in different regions.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo S Narrated Production Video - Inside the Factory | Full Documentary Screenshot_20200712-193807

Other interesting facts:
  • Assembly line is 3 stories high where are the car travels down the line and upward and downward as it is manufactured.
  • Only around 300 people are involved in the manufacturing.
  • The painting process adds 5.8 kg.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I completely agree with Ron. I have seen many factory production films spanning various manufacturers. This film has more than completeness and integrity; it has soul. Soul worthy of showing off the new Porsche Taycan IMHO. It has made me proud to be part of the new phase of Porsche research, design and production. I thank the Authors and production staff for their excellent production! They have set a new standard in factory production documentaries.

Chuck J

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I thought it was very interesting the impact of lipstick and other body lotions/sprays potentially have on the paint in that one room. Only certain products are allowed to be used by the team working that room. Fascinating.

They also said any colour is possible. I haven’t really seen that available yet but can’t say I have my dealer for a bespoke colour either.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought it was very interesting the impact of lipstick and other body lotions/sprays potentially have on the paint in that one room. Only certain products are allowed to be used by the team working that room. Fascinating.

They also said any colour is possible. I haven’t really seen that available yet but can’t say I have my dealer for a bespoke colour either.
A manufacturer that really worries about consistency to be concerned about hand lotions is one thing but to also worried about the fumes from deodorant is yet another.

yes I heard them talk about any color as well but I think that was a statement of the process is capable but that Porsche is holding back things right now to keep the rate of manufacturing higher. I have never heard an update from their initial over 30,000 deposits announced in August 2019.

They are certainly rolling out too many countries now, that is surprising to me but they definitely want a global presence for this vehicle. Thailand, Australia, Ukraine, China Singapore etc. etc. etc.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
What a great video, okay it’s a relatively long watch. Nice evening here last night so sat outside and watched on my phone. Really enjoyed that. Amazing how they build a factory on multiple levels and that there is only 300 people in production line. I thought there would have been thousands, but I’m not in that game do have no idea.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What a great video, okay it’s a relatively long watch. Nice evening here last night so sat outside and watched on my phone. Really enjoyed that. Amazing how they build a factory on multiple levels and that there is only 300 people in production line. I thought there would have been thousands, but I’m not in that game do have no idea.
Yes I was also surprised by that low number of people on the line. However I think that is only for the base body production. When they were talking about the motor production they said that line alone head 170 persons on it at offset 20:08.

Rear Motors tested at 200kph/124mph and a wheel torque of 8000 Newton Meters/5900 ft-lbs. Makes me proud.

Last edited:

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Must have missed that bit. Crazy tech building that car.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I love how the narrator says "...it fits into the Taycan's lightweight design concept."

Yes, it was a concept to make a light car. But at 2.5 tons, I don't think they succeeded!

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I love how the narrator says "...it fits into the Taycan's lightweight design concept."

Yes, it was a concept to make a light car. But at 2.5 tons, I don't think they succeeded!
I agree. There are a lot of things they describe in there like the square motor winding that make it light and give it more power and range and I think it's about the same as Tesla's.

Chuck J

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I agree. There are a lot of things they describe in there like the square motor winding that make it light and give it more power and range and I think it's about the same as Tesla's.

Chuck J
Though in fairness the Teslas don't use the hairpin windings. But Chevy Bolt does...
Sponsored