feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Was really interested in this review as I think the 4s is the more sensible option. Would love to read more opinions.
I drove the Turbo S on Hockenheimring. Racing machine, feels totally exaggerated for daily use. 4S still sinks every car on green lights and goes 267 km/h.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Good write up. In very generic terms it feels like the 4s fits the Co Car bracket where the cost/benefit works and then the Turbo and beyond are into treating yourself territory.
I think the cost/benefit works by far the best with the base model. The 4S is already a treat.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the size of my grin increases with acceleration g's. I love the Turbo S and it's instant and yes, sometimes brutal response. I will never get tired of that feeling.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
This really is the case for any Porsche model. If you load up a base 911 with all of the performance options, it really doesn't feel that different than a Turbo, except for the acceleration. Same goes for the Panamera, Cayenne, Macan, etc.

Usually the GTS models are the best bang for the buck because you get all of the performance options, plus a slight improvement in horsepower, and some nice aesthetic upgrades.

Hopefully they end up with a GTS Taycan at some point.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
You are correct, except there is the concept of Hedonistic adaptation. I remember my Tesla Roadster when I first got it was “fast.” Then I test drove a P90 and for all its faults it was “faster.” Audi R8 is fast until you floor the Taycan Turbo S. Honestly the McLaren is a demon but I still am surprised how it doesn’t seem as fast as it used to feel.

My point? Its all relative. The 4S is very fast. Is the Turbo S faster? Sure. Is it more fun? Yes in the situation you describe. Balance that with how many times you find yourself in those situations and I think you will have your answer.

Me? I am NEVER pulling up next to you, I’d lose regardless of what car I was in.
I think it's also referred to as addiction :CWL:

It's a good point though - i jumped into my TS and floored it and got what i expected. But then i frequently drive fast cars with similar levels of power/weight both road and track.

My brother, who is used to "fast" road cars, had to stop and almost chucked up after the 5th consistent <3s launch. My wife smacked herself in the face with her phone when i used launch control, and vowed never to get in it again! :CWL:

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
my opinioni - the base 4S really isn't all that great - and by the time you option a 4S to include what is standard w/Turbo - you're close enough that it's pretty smart to just buy a Turbo.
Built my turbo spec and my 4s spec identical....it was a $31k difference. That’s still a lot of money to “beat a Tesla”. The 4s is more than enough for me as a daily. Throw in driver skills....and I’m not worried about my ego with Tesla drivers. But certainly loved having the alphas of any of Porsche’s Cars. Have enjoyed most of them. The RS was still my favorite for stupid fun. My shift to the 4s on the Taycan was a sign of maturity??? (Ugh....or stupidity?)
Might go to a turbo at some point as a CPO down the road. They all seem to lose value like the 2020 March stock market

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was behind two Teslas at a red light yesterday and when it turned green, they immediately went into drag race mode which was both silly and hilarious. I was planning a lane change, so it was nice of them to clear the way for me.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I was behind two Teslas at a red light yesterday and when it turned green, they immediately went into drag race mode which was both silly and hilarious. I was planning a lane change, so it was nice of them to clear the way for me.
It's silly, it's childish, it's so immature, it's so irresponsible but boy, it's fun!
Every.
Single.
Time.
:)

You can name any excuse: not worth it, not sensible, not my cup of tea, too fast for me, I'll loose my license, fast enough for me, etc but I bet if you had the means you would too.
Stop finding excuses.
And stop competing who has the highest range!
It's a Porsche for crying out loud... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
So I wanted to just cap off the observations as I dropped off the 4S and picked my car up. It was interesting going the other way too. First there was not a huge difference in getting back into the Turbo S (ignoring the raw power). But everything was just a bit “more” but nothing dramatic. I have to say the main differences I noticed are the rear wheel steering and the dynamic lateral stability control. I felt this mostly when I turned onto an on-ramp at a rather “healthy” speed and could feel the 4S lean more than the Turbo S. But again this would in no way be considered an advised turn speed.

On another note there was a new Taycan owner who had just traded in another Porsche for a 4S+ and was taking delivery. It was his first electric vehicle and he seemed excited, so I spent a few minutes probably boring him to death about some electric car ownership. I also recommended he join this forum, so if he does let’s give him a warm welcome.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
You can name any excuse: not worth it, not sensible, not my cup of tea, too fast for me, I'll loose my license, fast enough for me, etc but I bet if you had the means you would too.
Most red lights here are in 50 kph zones, and you lose your lisence at 76 kph. You have some leeway but it's not something I want to play with. I usually do my fast acceleration at on ramps in 80 kph zone where I can go up to 116 kph without risking my licence. Can't wait until they finish the first 110 kph road in my area IN TWO YEARS!?!

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree completely with the point about options making the car. My 4S is optioned with lots of electronics and rws. I’d much rather have it than a Turbo S without those options as a daily driver.

But to each their own.

When I did launch control on a Turbo S at the Porsche Experience Center, I did NOT smile. Holy crap! It physically hurt. As someone said, the 4S is enough of an indulgence for me and plenty of power for a daily driver. If I was a billionaire I would get the Turbo S and never use the power for fear of snapping my spine. :) I respect the choice of those who do that :)
Sponsored