epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
As my car is in the shop for a bunch of campaigns and upgrades I was given a frozen blue 4S as a loaner (which I HIGHLY appreciate, last time it was a Macan). It has been a good chance to really compare on a daily situation the "differences" between these two versions.

I have always maintained that the Turbo S (and even the Turbo) is a bit "too much car" for any kind of daily driving. I am not saying a skilled driver can't have some fun, but honestly it is simply too much speed. The launch on the Turbo S is fun, but it hurts. And its not something you can do to passengers without warning, making sure they have no back or neck problems, and tell them to prep. I actually have to be on guard when I have passengers with me.

So driving the 4S it pretty much is what I expected. In almost all situations there really is not much of a difference. It is wicked quick, I can get off the line in normal use faster than is required, I can accelerate, merge and do anything I want during daily driving (and I drive aggressively, not towards others but essentially get from point A to B like I am in a race). The 4S is pretty much identical to the Turbo S.

The only thing I miss (which is a feature that has nothing to do with the Turbo) is the rear wheel steering. With the feature the turning radius of the Taycan is simply insane for a car of that size. It was a bit shocking to do a normal turn I tend to do and run out of space without it and wondering "what is going on?"

When I was almost home I decide to do a mini launch with the 4S. Sure I can tell tis not as painful, but it was NOT slow.

So for what its worth here is one opinion. Get a 4S and add the features that you will use. Get the Turbo or Turbo S only if that kick is important to you, but you won't be using it unless you want to experience that exact effect. And honestly I was more relaxed with the 4S knowing I don't have to be completely on full alert if I am pushing the car.

P.S. The color configurator on Porsche site really needs to be fixed. I almost ordered the frozen blue initially but seeing it in person I would have been very unhappy. Its a very nice color, but its NOT the color it appeared to be.
Sponsored

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
Thanks epirali

great write up

I’ve been looking at whether to get the 4s or the turbo

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks epirali

great write up

I’ve been looking at whether to get the 4s or the turbo
If you have any questions I can help with please feel free to ask.

Filback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SLK, 4 Series
Country flag
Was really interested in this review as I think the 4s is the more sensible option. Would love to read more opinions.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Having driven all 3, really the 4S is a superb daily
option. The Turbo is best spec for buck, and the Turbo S clearly a bit of a premium but something special if you want it pay for it.

Bonglim

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thank you epirali - excellent but if insight that not many people would have.
Given that I can only afford the 4s, it is really nice to hear. And I think my chances of putting a 4s in the shop and being given a Turbo S to try are... well.... 0. :CWL:

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Interesting read, and makes me wonder slightly less...what if?

Reassuring and thanks for posting, although I can't help but think I still might have gone Turbo or Turbo S if I could've convinced myself to part with the extra & wait longer for the car.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Nice write up, thanks.

I think pretty importantly the price differential between the models seems to vary quite a bit depending on the country - just anecdotally from what people say on here. For me a Turbo with the same spec as my 4S would have been nearly 40k CHF more. Sounds like in the UK and US the difference is a lot less for the same spec... As well as the prices just being lower of course.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
and honestly I was more relaxed with the 4S knowing I don't have to be completely on full alert if I am pushing the car.
THIS.

I went from 4S to Turbo. Couldn't get rid of the feeling that "I want more".
I don't have any desire to have more than the Turbo.
I am delighted to feel ecstatic, bordering fright, everytime I push.

Worth it? Different question.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think as you go from the 4S to the Turbo to the Turbo S you pay more in $/s per benefit as you move up the line. The Turbo has way more than the 4S, but not 50% more, as the price would indicate. The Turbo S is even more so - lots of really cool features/benefits, but definitely not 80% more. It's like pretty much anything as you approach the highest end, a small increase in features/benefits/performance costs more as you approach the top. I agree that the 4S will probably do the job for a lot of Taycan owners. But, I'll keep my Turbo S...

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Good write up. In very generic terms it feels like the 4s fits the Co Car bracket where the cost/benefit works and then the Turbo and beyond are into treating yourself territory. Of course that's not all cases but I can see a trend forming in the UK on this. Turbo and beyond will have better financial residuals and you can see that in finance rates so if a personal expense, that will be a factor too.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It's very, very, VERY sensible to get the 4S.
But sensible is boring.
I don't know about you but when a 6 year old Tesla Model S P100D is beside you at the traffic lights, the boy in me wakes up...
Or a Model 3 Performance for that matter...

There's brains and there's fun.
A Turbo S is fun.
I never ever regretted it.
Ask any Ferrari and Lamborghini owner....they don't even try.
Priceless!

A Turbo S is surprisingly easy to drive, same as a 4S (got a 4S as a loaner) but the instant torque is just great.
The braking is too.
So:
If you want to be sensible, buy a 4S.
If you want to have fun, buy a Turbo S.
Simple.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A Turbo S is surprisingly easy to drive, same as a 4S (got a 4S as a loaner) but the instant torque is just great.
The braking is too.
So:
If you want to be sensible, buy a 4S.
If you want to have fun, buy a Turbo S.
Simple.
You are correct, except there is the concept of Hedonistic adaptation. I remember my Tesla Roadster when I first got it was “fast.” Then I test drove a P90 and for all its faults it was “faster.” Audi R8 is fast until you floor the Taycan Turbo S. Honestly the McLaren is a demon but I still am surprised how it doesn’t seem as fast as it used to feel.

My point? Its all relative. The 4S is very fast. Is the Turbo S faster? Sure. Is it more fun? Yes in the situation you describe. Balance that with how many times you find yourself in those situations and I think you will have your answer.

Me? I am NEVER pulling up next to you, I’d lose regardless of what car I was in.
Sponsored